News: Backstory For Your Eyes Only - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Where Beta taunting is a sport.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2011-11-09, 11:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Backstory For Your Eyes Only

The Vanu Sovereignty: a people with truly free minds, united as one, above greed and beyond any ambition for power.

Vanu has shown the way and if only those other guys were smart enough to listen to his concepts of respect and genuine love for one's kin, we could live in peace without the need for TR governments or this abusive plutocratic system some still dare to call "capitalism".

The TR and NC are both groups of hypocritical bandits hiding behind a wall of false truths and make-believe.

...And they definitely should not be allowed to play with laser technology. Cool toys are not for archaic rot-minded lemmings who never went past a D during Calculus I classes in high school !
Old 2011-11-10, 12:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Crator
Major General

Originally Posted by sylphaen View Post
The Vanu Sovereignty: a people with truly free minds, united as one, above greed and beyond any ambition for power.

Vanu has shown the way and if only those other guys were smart enough to listen to his concepts of respect and genuine love for one's kin, we could live in peace without the need for TR governments or this abusive plutocratic system some still dare to call "capitalism".
Ok, we don't know this yet!!! We have very little info about the VS back story really. Other then they are talking to some alien named Vanu using tech they know nothing about. VS could end up mind controlled lemmings for all we know.
Old 2011-11-10, 12:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
IceyCold
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by sylphaen View Post

The TR and NC are both groups of hypocritical bandits hiding behind a wall of false truths and make-believe.

...And they definitely should not be allowed to play with laser technology. Cool toys are not for archaic rot-minded lemmings who never went past a D during Calculus I classes in high school !
Spoken like a true brainwashed cultist

We shall bury the oppressive Republic with our might, and cleanse humanity of the Vanu infestation with our fire.
Old 2011-11-10, 01:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Corax
Sergeant

Purge the heretic and the tyrants! Someone get me a flamer and a Gauss Rifle, its time to show these cultists and nazi's how to fight.
Old 2011-11-10, 02:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Crator View Post
Ok, we don't know this yet!!! We have very little info about the VS back story really. Other then they are talking to some alien named Vanu using tech they know nothing about. VS could end up mind controlled lemmings for all we know.
I would say we know almost the opposite of that, given the whole planetary genocide thing.
Old 2011-11-10, 02:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
GuyFawkes
First Sergeant

So , the Terran Republic is a result of never ending conflict upon earth , and a single unified force in control. It's like all the governments were deemed useless and self motivating, and their only real purpose was to perpetuate conflict to keep people in line. The political was removed from the equation , to man kinds benefit .

The NC are the capitalist opportunists from the old world , still holding the pay cheques and working within whatever government they can profit from. While giving the impression of freedom , their 'freedom' is illusionary since the only ones with freedom are the ones making huge profits , at the expense of the 95% of rest of the population. Auraxis they realise the chance to finally enslave everyone to their ideals once and for all.

The Vanu are the religious sect of the equation. Since all notions of the old religions are defunct and now proven worthless with the worm hole . As usual , they latch onto a new deity in the hope of salvation . Like all religion , only 'one' prophet can actually hear the new deity , giving ultimate power and control over his followers. Like all religion , the strive is a simple one , create conflict and unrest in the pursuit of power on behalf of the so called profit, or until at least a newer deity to follow is found.

Control of power , money and religion . History's constants in the deaths of the mortals and the majority to keep the few beneficiaries in their gold lined palaces . Deja Vu regurgitated.
Old 2011-11-10, 02:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Joock
Private

Originally Posted by Crator View Post
You seriously gotta be brainwashed if you wear purple, shiny armor and Fishheadhelmets in combat.
Old 2011-11-10, 04:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

I think Hamma should move this thread to political debate subsection. On topic: the VS are barely fanatics. TR followers are. The VS believe in peace and science and, unlike the TR, have no illusions about it. And the NC are just a bunch of lazyholes that want profit from minimal investments.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2011-11-10, 09:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Graywolves
General

Good read. I liked the style he did it too. We just witnessed the beginning of the NC.

Businesses claiming to be in support of the people? What foolishness! There is only one reason why they really want to get rid of the Terran Republic and that is to monopolize their corporations!
Old 2011-11-10, 10:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Fab
Sergeant

I also liked this story a lot, very well done.
Old 2011-11-10, 12:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Xyntech
Brigadier General

So the NC want a completely free, totally unregulated market... Who needs a totalitarian government when you can just enslave most of the population with slave wages and monopolized products? I bet they also want to return to a more wild west style of justice. Not quite anarchy, but pretty damn close.

So the choices are:
TR - A group who wants everyone to be able to live in peaceful stability, but forcibly removes personal liberties and crushes all dissenting voices.

NC - A group who who wants to give everyone freedom to do what they want, but would allow for the strong and the wealthy to trample on the weak and the disenfranchised.

VS - A group who wants to evolve to a higher level of existence, but may be tampering with powerful forces beyond their control or comprehension.

So far it sounds to me like the VS are the only ones who aren't looking to screw over all of humanity in one way or another. We haven't heard as much of the VS backstory yet, but nothing we have heard would indicate that the VS plan on returning to earth and forcing everyone to become followers of Vanu.

Hell, the VS didn't even seem that concerned with the TR or NC on Auraxis becoming VS, they just wanted to be left alone to do their research. It was only when a shooting war broke out that they decided to take up arms. It seems like the VS are fighting more to protect the planet and their research than to force people to see things their way.

VS may have drank the koolaid, but it just doesn't sound like they are forcing anyone else to. The worst things we have heard about the VS, such as them being cultists, or tampering with technology that could destroy the planet, sounds more like propaganda than anything.

Cultists? They are excited for their cause and are getting the chance to communicate with an advanced alien consciousness. Unusual, but hardly a cult. If the guy that Vanu was "talking to" was producing no results, that's one thing, but he's provided amazing new tech, including fucking immortality. Hell, they never even demanded anyone else join their cause. If the VS are a cult, then NASA is pretty much a cult too.

Destroy the world? That's what was said about the atomic bomb and the LHC. All progress comes with risks, but risks are rarely if ever has high as fear mongers make them out to be. What the VS are doing certainly sounds a lot less risky than letting governments or corporations enslave humanity.

I actually kind of hope we learn some more negative stuff about the VS. Despite the fun religious nutjob surface layer, they actually sound a little too reasonable.

Maybe that will be the balance. They have the least extreme views of the three empires, but at first glance they appear to be the most crazy. That actually works pretty well, since they have always been the wild card empire.

Of course, all of this comes from the perspective of a loyal VS, so I may be a bit biased
Old 2011-11-10, 02:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Fab
Sergeant

You are making a very good point.
I am a total noob to the planetside universe, so i can give you an independent point of view.

The thing is, the more i learn about the TR and NC, the more i tend to prefer the Vanu.
My reasons are :
-exaclty what you just explained, you read my mind :
So far it sounds to me like the VS are the only ones who aren't looking to screw over all of humanity in one way or another. We haven't heard as much of the VS backstory yet, but nothing we have heard would indicate that the VS plan on returning to earth and forcing everyone to become followers of Vanu.
-their style (as far as i saw it in the video + the MAX) is really great : technologically advanced (i personally think it is cool), and i liked T-Ray's hat in a video i saw.

-constant mockery about them serve them more than they serve the people making fun.

-dignity and maturity of the people supporting VS on this very forum. No offense! It is really a personnal point of view, i am not judging or complaining about anyone (i find this little propaganda/flame war among factions pretty fun).

Last edited by Fab; 2011-11-10 at 02:32 PM.
Old 2011-11-10, 02:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Xyntech View Post
I actually kind of hope we learn some more negative stuff about the VS. Despite the fun religious nutjob surface layer, they actually sound a little too reasonable.
I can give you 2 downsides straight away.

1. Who knows what the Vanu alien is? He could aswell be the reason extraterrestrials got wiped out.
2. Only one man had made the direct telepathic contact with the Vanu. He holds immense power in his hands that tends to corrupt. (For some reason WANTED movie comes to my head. Remember how it turned out to be about Morgan Freeman selecting targets instead of the Loom?)

Sidenote: I am a VS. Other than me currently being a Merc there's no reason for me to support NC.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.

Last edited by NewSith; 2011-11-10 at 02:28 PM.
Old 2011-11-10, 02:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Fab
Sergeant

Originally Posted by NewSith View Post
2. Only one man had made the direct telepathic contact with the Vanu. He holds immense power in his hands that tends to corrupt.
The guy could be fucking Raël.

Last edited by Fab; 2011-11-10 at 02:34 PM.
Old 2011-11-10, 04:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by NewSith View Post
I can give you 2 downsides straight away.

1. Who knows what the Vanu alien is? He could aswell be the reason extraterrestrials got wiped out.
2. Only one man had made the direct telepathic contact with the Vanu. He holds immense power in his hands that tends to corrupt. (For some reason WANTED movie comes to my head. Remember how it turned out to be about Morgan Freeman selecting targets instead of the Loom?)

Sidenote: I am a VS. Other than me currently being a Merc there's no reason for me to support NC.
Yeah you are right. I think it's safe to say that the disappearance of Vanu's species is reason for concern. On the other hand, humans did journey to Auraxis. Humanity saw an awesome display of power and we followed it to that planet. Now that we are there, don't we need to study it? If there is a consciousness that is helping us unfold these alien secrets, isn't that facilitating the whole purpose of the expedition?

The only real danger is if people become to fanatical in their followings of whatever Vanu says (or whatever they are told that Vanu says). As long as the VS keep being free thinkers and don't submit to following blindly, they are probably pretty safe, or as safe as anybody can be when in a situation like Auraxis.

This is where more backstory comes in. Have the VS in general started doing Vanu's bidding, no matter how crazy?

As for the guy who Vanu is speaking through, that's definitely another potential problem factor. Considering that we have openly heard talk from New Conglomerate founders that indicates leanings towards corporate domination of power, I'd have to see some story written where we actually see the guy abusing his power, even if just a little bit.

Like I said before, I just don't see enough solid downsides to the VS yet. Hopefully come VS week we will get some good (bad) stuff about us.

I'll still probably gravitate towards their technological progress driven ideology even if they have some pretty negative shit going on, but it will just be nice to have all three sides have some solid negatives and positives that aren't at all related to propaganda.

Edit: Welcome to the cult, Fab. Take a seat over there, your koolaid will be brought to you shortly.

Last edited by Xyntech; 2011-11-10 at 04:19 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion