Cloakers and there weapons? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Where NC's egos are bigger than their guns!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-02-20, 11:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Canaris
Contributor
General

Re: Cloakers and there weapons?

There will be a variety of different cloaker styles, the Infiltrator with the sniper Rifle will be sacrificing part of his cloak ability to in order to tote said big gun, Then there will be the proper invisibles who have to use small weapons in order keep a proper cloaking effect.

Could cloakers use SMGs or Shotguns, sure I suppose but as long as they sacrifice something for it like the Sniper versions.
You have to however strike a balance between them and other classes. Maybe shotguns or certain types of SMGs won't be practical for them to use.

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms

Last edited by Canaris; 2012-02-20 at 11:34 AM.
Old 2012-02-20, 11:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Geist
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Canaris View Post
There will be a variety of different cloaker styles, the Infiltrator with the sniper Rifle will be sacrificing part of his cloak ability to in order to tote said big gun, Then there will be the proper invisibles who have to use small weapons in order keep a proper cloaking effect.

Could cloakers use SMGs or Shotguns, sure I suppose but as long as they sacrifice something for it like the Sniper versions.
You have to however strike a balance between them and other classes. Maybe shotguns or certain types of SMGs won't be practical for them to use.
I never thought for one second they wouldn't make it so if you carry anything over a pistol/knife, you get a diminished cloaking ability. There's precedent in PS1(ie cloakers get full cloak, but can only use pistol slot equipment), and anything more than that is OP.

From a tactical point of view, the greatest defense anyone can possible have is not a shield or a ton of heavy armor, but not being seen at all. Can't shoot what you can't see. Thus, give a cloaker anything that can kill even semi-quickly, and give them full camo, and you just created something extremely OP.
"There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened."

-Douglas Adams
Old 2012-02-20, 05:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

Snipers will just have active camouflage, the "Predator Effect", or from the Elites in Halo. Cloakers will have actual invisibility through no pixels even showing up if not in the proper range

and I don't think Infiltrators count as light armor. There's a Light Assault class for that kind of armor, regenerative shields and all. In PS1 I don't recall any armor on the cloaker suit, just health.

So I can see the use of SMGs and Sniping if there is no armor, because invisibility should give you an edge. If it doesn't go play Light Assault
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none

Last edited by Lonehunter; 2012-02-20 at 05:29 PM.
Old 2012-02-23, 03:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Traak
Colonel

Originally Posted by MgFalcon View Post
Cloakers can use a sniper rifle, but as I recall they'll have to uncloak to use it.
Proof that they have to uncloak to use it?
Old 2012-02-23, 09:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Hamma
PSU Admin

Don't remember where it was said but it was. Also snipers cloaking is NOT as effective as infiltrators you will be able to see them more.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-02-23, 10:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Aurmanite
Captain

On the AGN Higby said that sniping cloakers will never be fully invisible, that they would not be able to fire while cloaked.

He also said proper cloakers will be totally invisible and not even send packets to people who shouldn't be seeing them. This was in a different publication...that you must purchase.
Old 2012-02-23, 10:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
LostSoul

In PCGamer they were talking about gamma exploids IIRC. Nothing on packages not being sent to server since that would make no sense what so ever.
Old 2012-02-23, 10:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Duddy
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by LostSoul View Post
In PCGamer they were talking about gamma exploids IIRC. Nothing on packages not being sent to server since that would make no sense what so ever.
Well packets not being sent to the server would make no sense, but the server opting to not send packets to you makes perfect sense.

Essentially the server decides what you can or can't see, and sends you what you can and conversely does not send what it thinks you should not.

The idea being, if the cloaker doesn't physically exist for you until you should be able to see him, then you can't manipulate the client until to "see" them because they're not there, yet :P

I know HoN (Heroes of Newerth) uses this system, not sure about the other MOBA games but it works.
Old 2012-02-23, 11:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Geist
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Don't remember where it was said but it was. Also snipers cloaking is NOT as effective as infiltrators you will be able to see them more.
Also pretty sure they said you uncloak after you fired, requiring a sniper to move after every few shots.
"There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened."

-Douglas Adams
Old 2012-02-23, 12:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Aurmanite
Captain

Originally Posted by LostSoul View Post
Read it again my friend.
Old 2012-02-23, 12:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Magpie
Sergeant Major

Post Re: Cloakers and there weapons?

Originally Posted by Duddy View Post
Well packets not being sent to the server would make no sense, but the server opting to not send packets to you makes perfect sense.

Essentially the server decides what you can or can't see, and sends you what you can and conversely does not send what it thinks you should not.

The idea being, if the cloaker doesn't physically exist for you until you should be able to see him, then you can't manipulate the client until to "see" them because they're not there, yet :P

I know HoN (Heroes of Newerth) uses this system, not sure about the other MOBA games but it works.
So what your saying is the server makes a cloaker a ghost, so no one can track you unless there aloud to via maybe dark light or fast movement, so people cant gamma cheat coz they can't cheat whats not there as the servers making them a ghost, lol it's very confusing but I think I get the ideal
Old 2012-02-23, 12:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Magpie
Sergeant Major

Double post

Last edited by Magpie; 2012-02-23 at 12:48 PM.
Old 2012-02-23, 12:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Shogun
Contributor
General

it was said in the new pc gamer article(physical magazine edition). magpie finally managed to figure something out ;-) and i guess that´s what they mean.

in the article it is said also, that cloaking snipers will never be totally invisible and will have to uncloak to fire, like a klingon bird of prey! so i guess they worked something out to balance this.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!

Last edited by Shogun; 2012-02-23 at 12:46 PM.
Old 2012-02-23, 12:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Magpie
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post
it was said in the new pc gamer article. magpie finally managed to figure something out ;-) and i guess that´s what they mean.

in the article it is said also, that cloaking snipers will never be totally invisible and will have to uncloak to fire, like a klingon bird of prey! so i guess they worked something out to balance this.
I can't wait to give you some friendy fire
Old 2012-02-23, 12:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Shogun
Contributor
General

lol we will be forced to play on the same server ;-)
hope we get a chance to be in the beta to test the grief system

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion