Magrider Main Cannon... - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Caution: contains nuts.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-04-29, 02:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
NCLynx
Major

Re: Magrider Main Cannon...

Originally Posted by Erendil View Post
Yes, because in all of the footage and pics that have been released so far, we've seen tons of water everywhere for the Mag to take advantage of.

Oh wait. No we haven't.
Going over water isn't the only thing floating helps the magrider do. It floating instead of being on treads is what gives it its maneuverability (One of the main things VS vehicles focused on rather than speed or power IIRC)

NC - Slow and Hard Hitting
TR - Less powerful but incredibly fast (So I guess the prowler *should* end up being the fastest tank if it were a straight shot no-turn race)
VS - Accurate and Maneuverable (Which is exactly what it likely will be)

There's no doubt in my mind the gun on the Magrider will be the most accurate, but if the person using it has the precision of a 2 year I can see why you guys would complain.

SuperTroopers is recruiting for PS2!
Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Really? You need to take a few steps back and think before posting drivel like this. Either reply constructively or don't reply.
Old 2012-04-29, 02:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
deltase
Corporal

This tank is like the Bf2142 russan tank and it had no horizontal movement but had vertical. And against the standard tank it was better because of the maneuverability and it was my favorite from all tanks, in all games i have ever played. The lack of horizontal movement is nothing to be afraid, though in the scale of PS2 i think it will be quite tricky to play it and will take a lot of training to do better than the others.
Old 2012-04-29, 05:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Erendil
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by NCLynx View Post
Going over water isn't the only thing floating helps the magrider do. It floating instead of being on treads is what gives it its maneuverability (One of the main things VS vehicles focused on rather than speed or power IIRC)

NC - Slow and Hard Hitting
TR - Less powerful but incredibly fast (So I guess the prowler *should* end up being the fastest tank if it were a straight shot no-turn race)
VS - Accurate and Maneuverable (Which is exactly what it likely will be)

There's no doubt in my mind the gun on the Magrider will be the most accurate, but if the person using it has the precision of a 2 year I can see why you guys would complain.
"Floating" usually refers to sitting on top of a liquid surface, which is what I thought he meant and is why I gave the response I did.

But you're right, hovering combined with strafing is what gives the Mag much of its maneuverability advantage. But it can also make it less maneuverable in some instances as well. Try coming to a stop before plowing through a minefield w/ PS1's Mag, for example.

And like I said in my previous post, if the 4 conditions I listed aren't met then it runs the risk of losing much of its combat effectiveness since not meeting them causes the Mag to lose it maneuverability advantage. It's not a complaint, but the Devs do need to be mindful of these issues if the Mag is going to remain competitive.

Last edited by Erendil; 2012-04-29 at 05:04 AM.
Old 2012-04-29, 08:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by basti View Post
Worked great?

You never drove a Magrider it seems.

As a Mag driver myself, who talked with the whole crew of other awesome mag drivers (like myself), let me tell you this: The Driver cannon was the whorst that could happen to the Mag. It was simply shit.
Not because it did as much damage as throwing rocks, but because it took your focus away from driving. Trying to use this thing to do damage was the best way to kill yourself. In fact, every single Mag guide, and every single good mag driver, said the same: The Magrider does not have a gun for the driver. Its just a flashlight, nothing else. Do not attempt to use it, because all it will do is reveal your position. It wont kill a thing, it wont do any good, it just makes you die faster. Instead of using it, focus on driving, and let your gunner take care of the kills. This way you stay alive much longer.

Now, heres the thing: Poor NC and TR wont have our luck. Us Mag guys are used to our gun, and we know how to use it. NC and TR? They are screw completly. Not just that they have the massive issue of a rotating turrent, no, they even have no training in using it. Those things will be coffins, nothing else.

I can only hope for them that they get the abiliy to let a dedicated gunner take those guns, so the drivers can focus on driving. Otherwise the game will be rather one sided.
And if they get the option to let a gunner hop in, then you will easily see the good guy, and the bad guys. The good guys are those that drive around while both their guns fire at you. The bad guys are those who drive into trees, rotate their main gun forward to see whats going on, drive back, rotate their man gun again to find you again (and start shooting again), drive into another tree, and blow up. And while those guys are stuck in trees, i will laugh in my Mag.
I dunno, every time I drove a stolen Mag it survived for both the driver and the gunner to run out of ammo. And I wasn't skint on using the driver gun either.

Old 2012-04-29, 08:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Try coming to a stop before plowing through a minefield w/ PS1's Mag, for example.
The mistake is trying to stop and not just changing direction.

Old 2012-04-29, 08:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

These magriders shouldnt be able to go up hills, unless of course you get a good run at it and if inertia doesnt take you over the top then you should just slide back to the bottom.
Old 2012-04-29, 10:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
CutterJohn
Colonel

Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
Not surprised. If it had no leeway whatsoever, it would most likely suck hard.

The original Planetside had this too for several weapons on vehicles.
Nah. The battlezone hovertanks were 100% locked forward firing. Whole tank tilted. Worked fine, but then those were extremely maneuverable too.
Old 2012-04-29, 08:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Xyntech
Brigadier General

As others have said, it might work out to be fair if:
  • It can rotate in place as fast as the other MBT's can rotate their turret, and
  • it has the same top speed when strafing left/right and going in reverse as it does moving forward, and
  • the game's Physics allow the Mag to conserve its momentum so it can keep moving in one direction while it rotates to deal with threats to either side or behind it, and
  • the Mag's acceleration is fast enough to allow it to change directions as fast as a treaded MBT. Preferrably faster since it's supposed to be the most maneuverable MBT.
This, for the most part.

Fortunately, with Forgelight being as robust as it seems to be, and with the devs seeming to indicate that certain things won't be quite as locked in and unchangeable as in the first game, I have high hopes that if any of these things are lacking in the Magrider come beta, they will be easily changeable.

It would be the best kind of buffs too. Not upping the Magriders damage output or armor, just tweaking some of its performance.

While I would prefer to drive and gun in the proposed dedicated gunner variant of the Magrider, I really have little doubt that the base Magrider will be viable and well balanced. If I'm wrong, the dev team will have at least a 3rd of the beta testers yelling at them night and day until it is fixed.

In my mind, if the devs are hell bent on driver controlled main guns being the default MBT variant, the fixed gun Magrider is the only viable solution. My only major hope is that the devs follow through and give us the option of dedicated gunner certs so that we can drive and gun these tanks the way they are supposed to be driven and gunned in a game of this scope and magnitude.
Old 2012-04-30, 04:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Ceska
Corporal

Originally Posted by Xyntech View Post
This, for the most part.
While I would prefer to drive and gun in the proposed dedicated gunner variant of the Magrider, I really have little doubt that the base Magrider will be viable and well balanced. If I'm wrong, the dev team will have at least a 3rd of the beta testers yelling at them night and day until it is fixed.
/taunt ON/

It's about VS stuff; there will be yelling and crying

/taunt OFF/
Old 2012-04-30, 04:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Toppopia
Major

The developers say that all weapons have their own damage values and multipliers so we could assume that vehicles are the same, so if 1 vehicle is over powered or unbalanced, just lower its stats or increase them depending on the situation.
Old 2012-04-30, 04:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Stew
Major

The magrider can strafe left and rigth NO need for the canon to moove left and rigth and it will moove up and down !

And forget thats for all people who ask the MAGrider to have a Tanks like rotative canon it will broke the entire concept of the mag rider

If it can have a regular rotative main canon so the abilities to strafe left and rigth will have to be remmove as well to balance the whole thing !

So the entire concept of this Vs specific will be broke !

Is thats whats u want vs guys ?
Old 2012-04-30, 05:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
Mezorin
Corporal

Originally Posted by basti View Post
Worked great?

You never drove a Magrider it seems.

Now, heres the thing: Poor NC and TR wont have our luck. Us Mag guys are used to our gun, and we know how to use it. NC and TR? They are screw completly. Not just that they have the massive issue of a rotating turrent, no, they even have no training in using it. Those things will be coffins, nothing else.

I can only hope for them that they get the abiliy to let a dedicated gunner take those guns, so the drivers can focus on driving. Otherwise the game will be rather one sided.

And if they get the option to let a gunner hop in, then you will easily see the good guy, and the bad guys. The good guys are those that drive around while both their guns fire at you. The bad guys are those who drive into trees, rotate their main gun forward to see whats going on, drive back, rotate their man gun again to find you again (and start shooting again), drive into another tree, and blow up. And while those guys are stuck in trees, i will laugh in my Mag.
Ever drive lightning in PS1 and fight other lightnings? It was very easy to tell in 1 on 1 battles who the better driver was, as the good drivers knew their space and would never stop moving while shooting, while the bad ones could either shoot or move, but never both (unless they want to crash into a tree). That independent turret addition to the Lightning was the best thing the devs ever did for us, but they also gave us enough rope to hang ourselves with if we were stupid.

Here's the thing: the ability to control your own vehicle and gun is a double edged sword. When you control both the movement and orientation of your vehicle's main gun, you can set your turret down shots up perfectly and know where you need to move in order to aim. You also have the advantage of being able to pan around your tank quickly to see potential threats (ie sneaky AV users), and therefore are not as blind as the forward facing drivers are. The draw back is that if you have poor space awareness you will crash into things and, especially in a Lightning, this is a death sentence.

Overall, I like the idea that who gets the main gun will be a choice, so that if you have a good outfit mate gunner/engineer he can run the main cannon while you focus on driving, but you're not held hostage to having to find a random zergling to use the main cannon if you are running a solo/PUG MBT. It also means that the players who get good at running armor will actually see the fruits of their labor in a high kill count, rather than just giving other people all the benefits.

Last edited by Mezorin; 2012-04-30 at 05:39 AM.
Old 2012-04-30, 09:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Xyntech
Brigadier General

It will also mean that those who are skilled in driving and gunning their own tank will either have the option of an extra gunner controlling an AI or AA turret, or will have that option without requiring a third person in the vehicle (depending on how the devs choose to balance having a dedicated gunner variant).

I dare say that as much as a lot of vets assume that every PS1 player would take the dedicated gunner variant and every CoD/BF transplant will use a driver controlled gun, what will actually end up happening is that most players will eventually start using both variants, at least part time.

Of course, if done right, hopefully the dedicated gunner variant will also have a more powerful main gun than the regular driver controlled main gun. I think that is essential to balance and will be an important factor in the (in my opinion superior) dedicated gunner variant being widely used.

Last edited by Xyntech; 2012-04-30 at 09:17 AM.
Old 2012-04-30, 11:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

You don't need to put in any handicaps to solo tankers... being solo is handicap enough.

Old 2012-04-30, 11:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Raymac
Brigadier General

It's cute that we are already getting "buff the VS" threads.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion