Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2012-05-11, 09:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
termhn
Sergeant

Re: Fun little mini ITX build

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
H77 doesn't allow for overclocking with a 2500K, so that is a bad combo.

Only other thing I see that I dislike is the ram.
I read that it does... I'm 100% positive that it can overclock Ivy... are you sure that it can't?

About the RAM, I know it's overkill currently but I own software like FCP 7 and CS 3 so I can actually take advantage of faster RAM.

Embrace the Shadows.
Old 2012-05-11, 11:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Ailos
Contributor
Major

You genuinely need the water cooler in that one regardless of Sandy or Ivy bridge because the stock and most aftermarket heatsinks use an axial fan that relies entirely on there being an open vent with cool air in front of it. In this case, it's blocked by the PSU (which may or may not also be attempting to suck air in, as most PSU exhaust air out the back, meaning that a stock CPU cooler fan would have to work against a PSU fan). And there simply isn't evenough space there to add in something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835103065

Yeah, your CPU will still operate at 78 C, but why let it? Also, the water solution will be a fuckton quieter than any fan you could fit in that space.

Also, Ivy is known to be similar to the way that the 600 series nVidia cards are: a pain to over clock because they have built-in overlocking features that mess with your multipliers and voltages. It's not that you can't overlclock them... it's just less straightforward and achieving stability is a lot harder.

That said, the 7850 is more efficient price/performance AND performance/watt wise than the 560 Ti core 448. And if you're allowing yourself $1100, you SHOULD consider the 670...

Interior Crocodile Aviator
IronFist After Dark

Last edited by Ailos; 2012-05-11 at 11:25 PM.
Old 2012-05-12, 08:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by termhn View Post
I read that it does... I'm 100% positive that it can overclock Ivy... are you sure that it can't?

About the RAM, I know it's overkill currently but I own software like FCP 7 and CS 3 so I can actually take advantage of faster RAM.
It doesn't. See here.
Old 2012-05-12, 10:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by Ailos View Post
You genuinely need the water cooler in that one regardless of Sandy or Ivy bridge because the stock and most aftermarket heatsinks use an axial fan that relies entirely on there being an open vent with cool air in front of it. In this case, it's blocked by the PSU (which may or may not also be attempting to suck air in, as most PSU exhaust air out the back, meaning that a stock CPU cooler fan would have to work against a PSU fan). And there simply isn't evenough space there to add in something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835103065

Yeah, your CPU will still operate at 78 C, but why let it? Also, the water solution will be a fuckton quieter than any fan you could fit in that space
You put the PSU fan facing outwards, so it pulls in the air from the side vent and pushes it out the back, while the CPU is getting air from the front and the GPU is getting air from the bottom.

It'd probably be a dust nightmare, but I wonder how reversing the airflow would work, with the CPU getting air from the top? If he had temperature issues, that'd certainly solve them.

Edit: Also, I think the PSU is probably far enough away for the stock cooler to get sufficient airflow, considering it's more than a GPUs-width away.

Edit II: In fact, you can see here how much room it has to draw from.

Last edited by Vancha; 2012-05-12 at 10:36 AM.
Old 2012-05-12, 02:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Ailos View Post
You genuinely need the water cooler in that one regardless of Sandy or Ivy bridge because the stock and most aftermarket heatsinks use an axial fan that relies entirely on there being an open vent with cool air in front of it.
Modern CPU fans do not need open vents right there, what are you talking about? Nearly every mid-tower case on the market draws air front to back/ bottom to top.
Very few have ventilation from the sides either. That is: the fan closest to the CPU in most systems is an exhaust fan.

He'll be absolutely fine unless he's trying to go for a big-ass overclock. But he really doesn't have any reason to, the Ivybridge+670 combo is more than adequate right now.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.

Last edited by Rbstr; 2012-05-12 at 02:22 PM.
Old 2012-05-12, 10:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
termhn
Sergeant

That's what I was thinking. Also, I actually don't think I'm going to be buying this, just was a fun idea to throw around in my head Gonna post a new thread with what I'm thinking to actually buy. It's pretty damn similar to this just different case and motherboard (size).

Embrace the Shadows.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum