Should infiltrator be the only class that can spot? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Planetside, be there, or be square
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Who should be allowed to spot enemies?
Only the infiltrator class. 40 48.19%
All classes. 27 32.53%
Nobody 15 18.07%
Other 1 1.20%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-06-10, 04:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info
Re: Should infiltrator be the only class that can spot?

Infil only, and only with speciall equipment. Like trading their pistol for whatever spotting tool. Then, it should have a delay till you can spot again, and spotting should only stay active as long as the infil keeps his spotting thingy close to the target.
If he pulls his sniper rifle, spot is gone.

The idea for spotting is not to have a single button that just gets spammed because it gives you extra information. THe idea for spotting is to mark important targets for your squad/Platoon.
Old 2012-06-10, 04:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Resolve
Corporal

Either make a recon class(La/infil) more useful by allowing spotting (like in a real life situation) or no spotting at all/only minimap spotting. All classes having a spot ability would remove an important skill aspect to the game. I know in BF3 it was detrimental to the tactical aspect. Knowing where your enemies are at all times because someone spammed a no-skill button is very bad for a game based on spec-ops tactics. It kills immersion too because it's like having a wall-hack. Being able to see dots through walls is stupid and dumbs down gameplay. 3D spotting is the retarded step child of wall hacks.
Old 2012-06-10, 05:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Knightwyvern
First Sergeant

I'm ok with all classes having the ability, but in a very limited fashion in comparison to the Infil, and to a lesser degree, the Light Assault.

Honestly I'm still pondering what I think the best implementation would be; whether it be utility based, cert based, a standard ability, etc. though I am leaning away from the "QQQQ" method and more towards something based off of certs and devices such as the IFF device the Infil has access to.

I also believe that baring some very high end options that most definitely I would want to be Infil specific, I think that if an enemy is not within your LOS then it should be purely 2D spotting. I.E. if that enemy is behind a wall or big rock, you might see them on your mini map but not as a 3D icon hover over them.

Last edited by Knightwyvern; 2012-06-10 at 05:04 PM.
Old 2012-06-10, 05:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Soothsayer
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Infiltrator should be the only one to be able to spot well.
Old 2012-06-10, 05:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
MrMorton
Sergeant

did anyone else not see any spotting at all in the e3 demo?

idk if it was removed or if no one was using it, the only time I saw it was in that alpha highlights thing.
Old 2012-06-10, 05:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
captainkapautz
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by basti View Post
THe idea for spotting is to mark important targets for your squad/Platoon.
No it isn't, it's to relay the position of enemy troops.

Everyone is able to spot, if I spot someone he shows up on the minimap.
The End.

Edit:
Originally Posted by MrMorton View Post

idk if it was removed or if no one was using it, the only time I saw it was in that alpha highlights thing.
Almost noone was using it.

Last edited by captainkapautz; 2012-06-10 at 05:07 PM.
Old 2012-06-10, 05:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Knightwyvern
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by MrMorton View Post

I think people just didn't do it. Margaret said that it was in there during the stream, but people couldn't find "Q" on the keyboard :P
Old 2012-06-10, 05:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Red Beard
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Duddy View Post
My understanding is that while you can get all of the certs, you are limited in how many you can use at a time, so a finite number per class/weapon/vehicle at any one time.

So as a purely theoretical example, if you had to choose between the spotting and increased cloak time there would be a trade off being made.
Oh I see what you mean...yeah you're probably right about that. Hopefully the 'counter-option' is equally substantial.
Old 2012-06-10, 05:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Immigrant
First Lieutenant

Both Infiltrator and Light Assault should spot imo. LA should make perfect scouts.
Old 2012-06-10, 05:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
ThermalReaper
First Sergeant

I agree with redbeard's 2d minimap spotting and [I forgot the name]'s item for spotting desginator binocular...thingy.
Edit: I also agree with Immigrant. It's only a matter of time before bags comes in and makes a suggestion that I fully agree to.

Last edited by ThermalReaper; 2012-06-10 at 05:13 PM.
Old 2012-06-10, 05:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Red Beard
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by basti View Post
Infil only, and only with speciall equipment. Like trading their pistol for whatever spotting tool. Then, it should have a delay till you can spot again, and spotting should only stay active as long as the infil keeps his spotting thingy close to the target.
If he pulls his sniper rifle, spot is gone.

The idea for spotting is not to have a single button that just gets spammed because it gives you extra information. THe idea for spotting is to mark important targets for your squad/Platoon.
That squad function sounds do boring that you might as well not have it in the game anyway (which I'm not actually against, besides the fact that I'd like to see infils more desirable for overall squad inclusion).
Old 2012-06-10, 05:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
KTNApollo
First Sergeant

Who needs spotting at all? I'd rather it be removed entirely, but if it's not hopefully the infiltrator is the only class that can spot.
Old 2012-06-10, 05:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Resolve
Corporal

Originally Posted by KTNApollo View Post
Who needs spotting at all? I'd rather it be removed entirely, but if it's not hopefully the infiltrator is the only class that can spot.

This is the only answer.
You should only show up on the minimap when firing as well. Why do we need to know exact enemy position at all times? Doesn't that remove some of fun of never knowing where you're going to get in a gunfight?
Old 2012-06-10, 05:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
IMMentat
Contributor
First Sergeant

Almost as poorly considered as the "should infiltrators be the only ones allowed to capture points" poll.

Better off with a "do you approve ofspotting?" (yes/no/don't care/only with a specific tool), poll that that didnt start with a one line justification.

It's been said a few times that know infiltrators will probably get an enhancement to spotting compared to other classes (longer duration, class icons on minimaps, or something).
Old 2012-06-10, 05:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Knightwyvern
First Sergeant

2D spotting is fine with me, as long as it requires some effort and teamwork to use (squad/platoon only.) Currently the Infiltrators IFF device seems to fill this need.

As far as 3D spotting is concerned, I could do completely without it; but since we all know deep down that the game will have it, I just don't want it to be a built in sort of wall hack.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion