How come galaxies/libs don't have more faction specific models? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: How many greif points do i need for a certification
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-06-10, 06:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Atheosim
Captain

Re: How come galaxies/libs don't have more faction specific models?

I'm 99% sure that devs will be adding faction specific modules/weapons/etc to all the common pool vehicles.
Old 2012-06-10, 06:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Figment
Lieutenant General

"It's because it's NS equipment" is not an answer. NS equipment is a lore excuse to veil development choices.

The only actual answer is, it cuts down on development resources and time. Both in balancing ES weapons as in creating new models. It may even mean there are less textures and models to load by the client, which would be a performance enhancement argument.
Old 2012-06-10, 06:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
JHendy
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by ParisTeta View Post
*smile...no wait...grin* Lib-en-..wait for it.....DARY!
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAH!
Old 2012-06-10, 07:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Xaine
Major

Its been said they're getting faction themed guns etc on them.

Ion Cannon for the VS Libby please.

Oh. My. Days.
Old 2012-06-10, 08:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
TheInferno
Staff Sergeant

100 barrel chaingun for the TR with impact detonating grenades rather than bullets for the Liberator? No?

Really, Empire specific stuff is going to be fairly interesting. Will be nice to see some variety in the NS stuff as well.
Old 2012-06-10, 08:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Turdicus
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
"It's because it's NS equipment" is not an answer. NS equipment is a lore excuse to veil development choices.

The only actual answer is, it cuts down on development resources and time. Both in balancing ES weapons as in creating new models. It may even mean there are less textures and models to load by the client, which would be a performance enhancement argument.
You must be loads of fun at all the parties

Of course the root cause of everything in the game lies in development decisions, but if someone asks why the vanu use energy weapons who the hell would want to hear "because the developers needed to find a way to differentiate the third empire from the other two". Boooooorrriiiiiinnnngggg
Old 2012-06-10, 10:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Wayside
Contributor
Corporal

Originally Posted by Resolve View Post
You don't have to change them that much, but how come? Why can't we have more boxier NC/rounder TR/future-y VS? It seems weird that we're all from different factions but our big planes all have the same look.
From a lore standpoint, I believe it is because the game takes place at a time where these three factions are for the first time truly at war with eachother. They all came from the same place, they used to all be part of the TR before they divided, so naturally a great deal of their tech would be similar. They wouldn't just go to war on day 1 and have completely new vehicles and equipment on day 2. It would take time.

The game takes place during the "in between" time, as each empire moves in its own direction. The tanks, fighters, and some of the weapons are just now (lore wise) starting to split off into divergent directions appropriate to the resources and ideologies of each faction. I suspect that (again, from a lore standpoint) if you fast-forwarded several hundred years, ALL of the equipment each faction uses would be unique to that faction.

From a development standpoint, its just easier this way. By having some vehicles and equipment be "common pool", the developers don't have to build 3 different versions of every vehicle and weapon. They don't have infinite time or manpower so they have to draw the line somewhere. I think they've done a good job, and I expect we'll see them continue to develop the unique characteristics of each empire as time moves forward after release.

Last edited by Wayside; 2012-06-10 at 10:32 PM.
Old 2012-06-11, 07:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
WaryWizard
Sergeant

we've seen visual stuff you can change on the infantry (like the different model MAX suit). I'm Pretty sure they will have some visual changes like that for vehicles. So an empire specific model that can be unlocked doesn't seem too odd. It would just be the Galaxy Model VS. Still the same as the others, but slightly different visually other than a colour swap.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion