Redone day/night cycle time poll - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Harry's a pothead and the Sourcerer's stoned.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Day/night Cycles
24 hour cycle (real time with different time zones/switching weekly) 4 6.78%
12 hour cycle( 2 cycles per IRL day with longer days) 3 5.08%
10 hour cycle(2 cycles per IRL day with longer dusk/dawn 1 1.69%
8 hour cycle(3 cycles per IRL day with longer days) 5 8.47%
6 hour cycle(4 cycles per IRL day with longer days) 10 16.95%
5 hour cycle (5 cycles per IRL day with longer days) 8 13.56%
4 hour cycle(6 cycles per IRL day with even days/nights/between) 25 42.37%
Time zone changing weekly - yes 9 15.25%
Time zone changing weekly - no 7 11.86%
pancakes 16 27.12%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-06-11, 05:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Re: Redone day/night cycle time poll

1, 5, 7, 11, 13, 15, 17, 19, 21, 23 hour cycle.

These are the valid poll options, because they always move time of Auraxium day around Earth's time of day.

That being said, I'd like it to last around 11 or 13 hours.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2012-06-11, 05:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
WaryWizard
Sergeant

whats with the even numbers? That is totally unfair for people who can only get on at a certain time for only a couple hours. It should be odd numbers. That being said, 7 hours is the length it should be. 3 hour nights and 4 hour days. The cycle would reset every 7 days. If you were to log on at the same time every day and play for 1 hour, you would experience a total day in one week.

Each Continent should be in their own time zones as well. So if it is 5 AM on Indar it could be 7 PM on another continent.

The shortest I would want it would be a 5 hour cycle with 2 hour night and 3 hour days. I will also accept a 9 11 13 and 24 hour cycle.

I have thought about this quite a bit, and I believe these will work. The night doesn't look so bad that it is unplayable, and with each continent in different timezones, you could easily swap over. They just need to make sure to leave room for other continents in the time zones, but they always just say it is farther south or such.

TLDR: 5 7 9 11 13 or 24 hour cycle, with day being longer than night. Also timezones in-game.
Old 2012-06-11, 05:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by WaryWizard View Post
whats with the even numbers? That is totally unfair for people who can only get on at a certain time for only a couple hours. It should be odd numbers. That being said, 7 hours is the length it should be. 3 hour nights and 4 hour days. The cycle would reset every 7 days. If you were to log on at the same time every day and play for 1 hour, you would experience a total day in one week.
You don't necessarily have to align 1 rl hour with one game hour, why do you all keep thinking that way?

7 hours = 3.5h night and 3.5h day.

1 Auraxium hour = 7/24 of Earth hour. Wonderful thing about numbers is that you can have whatever correlations between them...

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.

Last edited by NewSith; 2012-06-11 at 06:01 AM.
Old 2012-06-11, 06:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
mynameismud
Corporal

PANCAKES...that is all

well on topic the current cycle seems fine.
Old 2012-06-11, 06:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Sabot
Second Lieutenant

Where are the pancakes? Did you trick me to come here with false promises of pancake?
Old 2012-06-11, 06:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Craftyatom
Corporal

I'd love to see a quick day/night cycle, 2 hours or even 1 hour would be fine by me, because they've worked so hard on it and it's so beautiful.

On the other hand, maybe night lasting 30 minutes is a bit too volatile for their purposes.
Old 2012-06-11, 06:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Rexdezi
Sergeant

I think 7 hours would be the sweet spot. 3 hours of pure day, 3 hours of pure night, and the two half hours of transition (dawn and dusk)

but as this wasnt a poll option i chose 6.

7 would be better as each (RL) day the time of (ingame) day would change by a smidgeon (what..? you don't know what a smidgeon is...?) until in a few days/week (idk, screw maths) youd be experiencing every time of (ingame) day at the same time of (RL) day

Also, they say they want to make it so you can experience both in a play session... what about those players who want to only play in the day or only play in the night. you're limiting them too... 7 hours is best.. gives the players that want to only play at a certain time of (ingame) day the chance to do that. And the players who want to play both can log on at a time when theres a dawn/dusk coming up soon (with all the different continents being at a different time of day, and with that time of day shifting daily, it shouldn't be too hard for them to find something that suits...

AND what about those marathon players who will do 8-12 hour streaks... it will suck for them to be constantly switching between day and night.

Last edited by Rexdezi; 2012-06-11 at 06:23 AM.
Old 2012-06-11, 06:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
maddoggg
Sergeant

I think a 4-5 hours cycle would be the best,because the day and night will last a while(forcing you to adapt)but when you sit down and play for a bit you ll be actually able to see the day time change.The problem with 24 hours for example,is that you ll end up playing always in the same time(night or day).
Old 2012-06-11, 06:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Memeotis
Staff Sergeant

Dawn, day time, dusk and night time. These are the four major time periods of the day, and every players who plays should be able to experience them. Some might think a way would be to shorten the cycle to 2, 4 or 6 hours. That would suck. That way, the day cycle would hardly have an impact on tactics and the game would feel a lot like... a game, by which I mean: I would not feel very immersive.

A think a way to think about this would be to consider the people who play at same time everyday, like the husband who can only play 3 hours a day once his kids are asleep.

18 hour cycle (or 3/4 of a day). This way someone who plays at midnight everyday would see the in-game time period change daily, while the periods themselves would still be a little over 4 hours long.
Old 2012-06-11, 06:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
WaryWizard
Sergeant

Originally Posted by NewSith View Post
You don't necessarily have to align 1 rl hour with one game hour, why do you all keep thinking that way?

7 hours = 3.5h night and 3.5h day.

1 Auraxium hour = 7/24 of Earth hour. Wonderful thing about numbers is that you can have whatever correlations between them...
well whole numbers are easier than decimals.

Also I think day should last longer than night. Either that or have seasons. That way during Auraxian winter, nights are longer than days, and in summer, days are longer than nights, with spring and fall equals.

Originally Posted by Rexdezi View Post
AND what about those marathon players who will do 8-12 hour streaks... it will suck for them to be constantly switching between day and night.
When I sit down to play a game, I'll be there for a while. I don't want the day and night swapping every half hour. It would be more annoying than anything, if it's too fast. It makes the night feels like a novelty instead of awesomeness. It has to be something that oyu think about, and take into account when playing. Not something that you notice when it's almost gone. They want to make night something you have to plan for, but if it lasts for almost nothing, then there is no reason to think about it.

Then they just need to decide how long an Auraxian year is.

Last edited by WaryWizard; 2012-06-11 at 06:34 AM.
Old 2012-06-11, 06:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Jikkan
Private

Originally Posted by WaryWizard View Post
well whole numbers are easier than decimals.

Also I think day should last longer than night. Either that or have seasons. That way during Auraxian winter, nights are longer than days, and in summer, days are longer than nights, with spring and fall equals.

Then they just need to decide how long an Auraxian year is.
A season cycle would be pretty damn cool. You could make it simple just affecting the ratio between day/night in the cycle but you could also add a weather system and have certain types of weather occur more often or only in certain seasons.

Christmas Planetside snow season anyone?
Old 2012-06-11, 06:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
EVILoHOMER
Major

I would like it to be 24 hour like WoW or something but I don't expect that to happen as it probably wouldn't be fair on people with limited play time.
Old 2012-06-11, 06:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
WVoneseven
Corporal

3.5 hour day and 3.5 hour night thats more than enough to take a hex during the night or during the day and that would help give the effect of a really drawn out battle as anything that lats 4-5 hours would span over days... as well as this the 7 hour cycle will mean that time of day changes at the same time daily so regular casual gamers wont be stuck only playing the same time daily.
Old 2012-06-11, 06:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Dreamcast
Major

Originally Posted by Memeotis View Post
Dawn, day time, dusk and night time. These are the four major time periods of the day, and every players who plays should be able to experience them. Some might think a way would be to shorten the cycle to 2, 4 or 6 hours. That would suck. That way, the day cycle would hardly have an impact on tactics and the game would feel a lot like... a game, by which I mean: I would not feel very immersive.

A think a way to think about this would be to consider the people who play at same time everyday, like the husband who can only play 3 hours a day once his kids are asleep.

18 hour cycle (or 3/4 of a day). This way someone who plays at midnight everyday would see the in-game time period change daily, while the periods themselves would still be a little over 4 hours long.

Exactly

How in the hell will a persons experience fighting at dawn if only last like 30 minutes.

Didn't higby say that he wanted the day and night cycle to mean something so certain outfits will be specialized for nights or something like that.

How is that gonna work if night only last for 1-2 hours.

and 18 will be perfect because like u said somebody playing at the sametime will experience a different timezone in game.
Old 2012-06-11, 06:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
TheInferno
Staff Sergeant

Since they want to have a full day cycle during a single person's play time, I doubt it will be longer than 6.

Honestly, it's a toss up between 3 hours and 5 hours for me, but since you didn't put three on the poll...

This is honestly something better suited to a discussion thread I think.
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion