Head shots, body shots, TTK - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Vanu Guidebook, Training Page 69
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-06-13, 02:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Bags
Lieutenant General

Re: Head shots, body shots, TTK

Originally Posted by asdar View Post
I watched most every bit of footage from E3 and I didn't see any HA get taken down by a medic with only 2 headshots.

Can anyone confirm this, 2 headshots is way to low in my opinion if this is true.

37:50 - 38:00.
Old 2012-06-13, 02:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Sifer2
Major

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
37:50 - 38:00.

Yep that's similar to how it was in GTA4. It looks like the Headshot damage bonus is so massive currently it's basically instant kill with any weapon. Which means spray an pray at head level an hope for the best gameplay.
Old 2012-06-13, 02:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
OutlawDr
Contributor
First Sergeant

...or you can aim for the head and kill the guy thats just spraying. Players do it all the time in modern FPS games. The skill ceiling is quite high in those game, I can assure you. Never played GTA4 online, but it doesn't sound like a good game to make comparisons.

Honestly though, slow TTK, fast TTK...its a preference. They both promote different styles of gameplay, and require different set of skills to be proficient at it. Trying to argue which one is better is really fruitless, plus the OP asked not to.
Old 2012-06-13, 02:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

Yeah the cod insta death game mechanic is no fun to me.
Old 2012-06-13, 02:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by OutlawDr View Post
modern FPS games. The skill ceiling is quite high in those game, I can assure you.
No they aren't. I've played maybe 50 hours of BF3 and I can easily top or nearly top the scoreboard if I really try to. I was able to do so after I learned the maps, so about 10 hours.

I played Quake for longer and still can't get above 30 pts before someone wins at 50.

Last edited by Bags; 2012-06-13 at 02:55 PM.
Old 2012-06-13, 02:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Gandhi
First Lieutenant

Headshot damage multiplier should be fairly low, around 1.25x for most weapons. That's the easiest way to separate actual aim from spray and pray, consistently getting headshots will give you a marked advantage while consistently missing them will result in a big net loss in damage output. If I can make up for 3 misses with a 3x headshot multiplier then what possible incentive would I have to not spray the target's head and hope for those few lucky hits?

And lets not ignore the vertical gameplay here. It's much easier to headshot someone from above, combine that with light assault jetpacks, high walls and vertical elevation inside bases and you've got the makings of some pretty frustrating gameplay if the multiplier is too high.

Can't say anything about the TTK until I play the beta, but considering the scale we're looking at I'd err on the side of caution and keep it fairly high.
Old 2012-06-13, 02:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
OutlawDr
Contributor
First Sergeant

No they aren't. I've played maybe 50 hours of BF3 and I can easily top or nearly top the scoreboard if I really try to.
heh, ok nevermind, your limited anecdotal evidence proves modern FPS games require no skill. Spread the word.
Old 2012-06-13, 02:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Bags
Lieutenant General

heh, ok nevermind, your limited anecdotal evidence proves modern FPS games require no skill. Spread the word.
At least I have anecdotal evidence, whereas you have nothing.
Old 2012-06-13, 03:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
lolroflroflcake
Staff Sergeant

Something I don't get. Modern FPSes have really low TTKs, they also have extremely limited match sizes. Their TTKs are based on the fact that there are usually not that many people shooting. So why is it a good idea to shorten TTKs when there is a whole crap-load who will be shooting, seems to me like that is just a recepie for everyone hiding behind cover afraid to emerge or spending quite abit more time dead then alive.

Last edited by lolroflroflcake; 2012-06-13 at 03:05 PM.
Old 2012-06-13, 03:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Mechzz
Major

Originally Posted by lolroflroflcake View Post
Something I don't get. Modern FPSes have really low TTKs, they also have extremely limited match sizes. Their TTKs are based on the fact that there are usually not that many people shooting. So why is it a good idea to shorten TTKs when there is a whole crap-load who will be shooting, seems to me like that is just a recepie for everyone hiding behind cover afraid to emerge or spending quite abit more time dead then alive.
Good point. Is it a plan to get us all to spend our Smedbux on body armour for ourselves and anti-mine plating for our tanks?
Old 2012-06-13, 03:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
OutlawDr
Contributor
First Sergeant

Excellent. I could post about how I can top the charts on almost every FPS and TPS game I play (which I do MW series, BF3 and series, NS2, L4D, Tribes, Mechwarrior 4, MWLL, Global Agenda)...but what does it prove?
Mostly that I am good at shooters. Usually good gamers are good in almost any game they play in (or a certain genre anyway..I blow at RTS or any strategy type game).

Last edited by OutlawDr; 2012-06-13 at 03:08 PM.
Old 2012-06-13, 03:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
captainkapautz
First Lieutenant

Well, your anecdotal evidence was kinda crappy, since you didn't say anything about what kind of server you played on, which gamemode, etc.

Sure, modern fps aren't as hard to learn as older ones like Quake or UT, but in my opinion that's a good thing.

I rather have "Easy to learn, hard to master.", than "Hard to learn, almost fucking impossible to master.".
Old 2012-06-13, 03:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
lolroflroflcake
Staff Sergeant

Excellent. I could post about how I can top the charts almost every FPS and TPS game I play (which I do MW series, BF3 and series, NS2, L4D, Tribes, Mechwarrior 4, MWLL, Global Agenda)...but what does it prove?
Mostly that I am good at shooters. Usually good gamers are good in almost any game they play in (or a certain genre anyway..I blow at RTS or and Strategy game for that matter..
I think the point is that modern shooters are easier to be good at then other games as they are designed to appeal to more casual crowds. They generally don't like being rocked repeatedly by those who have been playing shooters for much longer, I guess they're just poor sports.

So yes Modern shooters are easier, its not a good thing but that is just the way they are.
Old 2012-06-13, 03:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
OutlawDr
Contributor
First Sergeant

Also don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating for COD ttk speeds for PS2.
A slower TTK I think would be better suited for planetside, but I rather NOT see a return of PS1 values. Somewhere is in middle would be best imo. That what we saw in the E3 videso for the most part.. Something I could agree on is that 2 hit headshot skill from a cycler on a HA is too fast. I wouldn't mind that increased to around 4. Also a 3x multiplier for head shots is insane. Most games are only around 1.4-1.5.

Last edited by OutlawDr; 2012-06-13 at 03:15 PM.
Old 2012-06-13, 03:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Bags
Lieutenant General

Also don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating for COD ttk speeds for PS2.
A slower TTK I think would be better suited for planetside, but I rather NOT see a return of PS1 values. Somewhere is in middle would be best imo. And so far thats what we are seeing. Something I could agree is that 2 hit headshot skill from a cycler on a HA is too fast. I wouldn't mind that increased to around 4. A Also 3x multipler for head shots is insane. Most games are only around 1.4-1.5.
PS1's main problem was the damage falloff was ridiculous. If they got rid of it and kept the # of bullets to kill it'd be fine.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion