Empire specific game versions - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: WE'RE BEING HACKED!!!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Empire specific game version?
Yay 16 21.33%
Nay 33 44.00%
Whateva 26 34.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-06-22, 07:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Re: Empire specific game versions

2-3GB. Really? If you can't squeeze that much in just get a new HDD...
Old 2012-06-22, 07:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Immigrant View Post
Just different install options (/install packages) so you don't have to install things required for other Empires you won't need if you decide to play only one. Also it's a pretty simple thing to do.
You're saying it like you never played any games through side launchers - be it the sony launchpad, steam or origin. Before execing the launcher checks the legitimacy of all files. With different install options it will, in fact only check obligatory files. (Even if it checks every version differently, going through all 3 install options one by one is easy as hell) Basically - core files. That's all I meant.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2012-06-22, 08:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Kashis
Private

Thumbs down Re: Empire specific game versions

It's not a safe idea, it feels redundant and pointless.

@pursellTR
The Arm Of Decision In Battle
Keep It Simple, Stupid.
Old 2012-06-22, 08:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Immigrant
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by NewSith View Post
You're saying it like you never played any games through side launchers - be it the sony launchpad, steam or origin.
Before execing the launcher checks the legitimacy of all files.
I haven't used steam or sony or origin. But I know what launcher does... other games (Tribes, Black Prophecy etc) have them too.

Originally Posted by NewSith View Post
Even if it checks every version differently, going through all 3 install options one by one is easy as hell
First client would detect version you have installed and after that it's the usual but slightly shorter process. No need to check all one by one. So where's the problem? It doesn't make it 4 times easier to mismatch as you said in post prior to this..

Last edited by Immigrant; 2012-06-22 at 08:20 AM.
Old 2012-06-22, 08:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Exmortius
Master Sergeant

if they sell a cd in stores might a cool collector thing but the way it is now most people will just download the client probably from the planetside site. not much point in this internet era imo. still be kinda cool to have 3 dvds framed on a wall or something like that. they really should go crazy with all kinds of cool merch ideas based on the 3 empires. i'd so buy a TR wall hanging if they made one and cool stuff like that etc..
Old 2012-06-22, 08:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
zomg
Staff Sergeant

Considering you can put a 1080p PNG into under 1 MB, I highly doubt you would save even close to 2 to 3 GB by not installing a bunch of models and textures.
Old 2012-06-22, 08:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
BloodySoul
Corporal

I would have to say no... I don't think this needs to take up anymore space that it already will. The idea of having my own personal launcher for VS, NC or TR is a good idea. But if that is going to be added, then let it be as a sort of cache for personal customization. I honestly don't even know if thats possible, to have a way that once the launcher or loading screen comes up, you would be able to have the choice to make it look different. Kind of like how you can change he Background of Win7 and the windows themselves change colors. Something like that, but not at the give and take of soaking up more memory.
Old 2012-06-22, 08:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Immigrant
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
2-3GB. Really? If you can't squeeze that much in just get a new HDD...
Smart comments as always. I can squeeze aprox 10 times that space right now however I would like to have no "dead space" if I could choose. And Vanu and NC stuff needed only for players playing those factions (I mentioned what it was in OP) will be a dead space for me. So yes even 1 gb of dead space is too much.

I don't says it's absolutely necessary but something I would like to see and would welcome.

Originally Posted by zomg View Post
Considering you can put a 1080p PNG into under 1 MB, I highly doubt you would save even close to 2 to 3 GB by not installing a bunch of models and textures.
This could be true... I really don't how much space Empire specific stuff (needed only to players of that faction) would take. If under 1 gb I agree it is redundant...

Last edited by Immigrant; 2012-06-22 at 08:36 AM.
Old 2012-06-22, 08:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Knotz
Sergeant

I don't see a problem with it. For the people saying no... it won't be affecting you in any way. You're just voting to limit others for no reason.

I voted yay... not because I need the space, but because where I will be downloading doesn't have the greatest bandwidth speed of all time. (However, if the game isn't released before sept, then I can download at college which has awesome interwebs speeds, i still vote yes though)
Old 2012-06-22, 08:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by Immigrant View Post
Smart comments as always. I can squeeze aprox 10 times that space right now however I would like to have no "dead space" if I could choose. And Vanu and NC stuff needed only for players playing those factions (I mentioned what it was in OP) will be a dead space for me. So yes even 1 gb of dead space is too much.

I don't says it's absolutely necessary but something I would like to see and would welcome.

This could be true... I really don't how much space Empire specific stuff (needed only to players of that faction) would take. If under 1-2 gb I agree it is redundant...
No reason to have that attitude, not warranted at all.

Anyway I still see no reason. Its your problem if you wish not to get a new HDD.

On my old secondary I had a 160GB one. Drove me nuts trying to manage everything if I wanted to put in a new game. Especially with most being steam and having to redownload depending where I had the computer at.
Old 2012-06-22, 08:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Luieburger
Sergeant

No way. Maintaining 3 different versions of code would be bad, and giving players the option to install separate modules as part of one installer would still lead to troubleshooting annoyances. There's no way you're going to get even 1GB of savings by not installing the few things that are specific to other factions. The game is probably much more common across factions than you think. Ultimately it's a lot of work for the devs with a very small space savings return. Won't happen.
Old 2012-06-22, 09:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
zomg
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Knotz View Post
I don't see a problem with it. For the people saying no... it won't be affecting you in any way. You're just voting to limit others for no reason.
Everything considered, it would increase dev time, and thus our time to beta

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
No reason to have that attitude, not warranted at all.

Anyway I still see no reason. Its your problem if you wish not to get a new HDD.
Don't forget that not everyone has cash to spend on upgrading their computers unless it's absolutely necessary.
Old 2012-06-22, 09:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
ringring
Contributor
General

Complete waste of time and effort.......
Old 2012-06-22, 01:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Trignite
Private

Im not against it but it would leave less time for the devs to be working on more important things like fixing bugs.
Old 2012-06-22, 02:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

I don't really see the point to be honest. Not even considering the problems with client version conflicts, patching problems etc.
The only reason I can see this being a valid idea is if someone has limited bandwidth.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion