Vehicle Surfing - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Better then the subway diet
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2012-09-18, 01:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Dagron
Captain

Re: Vehicle Surfing

Originally Posted by EvilNinjadude View Post
I actually want people to be able to carry other people (preferably LAs) on the roof.
Now that you mention it, it's funny to see engi mines and turrets on top of some roofs.
Right now they can get up there by building turrets on top of shelves/lockers/computers inside the building and when they exit they get stuck on the ceiling... then building and entering/exiting a turret in there gets them up top.

Anyway, the prowler on a gal thing probably happened during beta when the bio lab wasn't near the front lines. You can see that the driver had to keep balancing himself up there as he was sliding off a bit. I tried sticking on a gal with a LA once, it was hard but i could tell that if i was more coordinated i'd probably be successful.

Last edited by Dagron; 2012-09-18 at 01:10 PM.
Old 2012-09-18, 02:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Rezound
Private

Interesting
Old 2012-09-18, 03:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Armor Nine
Private

Would be kind of cool if infantry could ride a tank into battle and use it like an APC. Kind of like they did in WWII.
Old 2012-09-18, 08:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
SniperSteve
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Dagron View Post
This is probably just one of the many reasons:
LOL

I say keep it in. To do that stunt takes some very skilled players out of the fight for quite a while. Not to mention if it is contested, that gal will blow up long before they get there. And if they do make it, it's a legitimate strategy...
Old 2012-09-18, 09:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Gugabalog
Major

Originally Posted by Armor Nine View Post
Would be kind of cool if infantry could ride a tank into battle and use it like an APC. Kind of like they did in WWII.
And then immediately dismounted in combat~ Exactly like an APC. I am in favor of this working as transport.
Old 2012-09-18, 09:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
KernolKlusterFk
Corporal

Originally Posted by SniperSteve View Post
I say keep it in. To do that stunt takes some very skilled players out of the fight for quite a while. Not to mention if it is contested, that gal will blow up long before they get there. And if they do make it, it's a legitimate strategy...
Exactly my Point SniperSteve thanks. The game would be much more interesting if they just left these things in the game. Sometimes I feel developers forget its a video game lol.
Old 2012-09-18, 09:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by CyclesMcHurtz View Post
Actually, blame the players that deployed engineer turrets on the wings of a Gal.

[Sent from the outskirts of the Oort cloud]
Not buying it. Engineer turrets aren't that awesome and, deployed on top of a Galaxy, they aren't going to have very good field of view. Not to mention they will eat flak bursts and generally get a lot of attention because the Galaxies themselves get a ton of attention. Also, even if you disagree with that assessment, why couldn't you just make turrets only be undeployable on top?

And the same goes for any other combination - HAs, MAXes, etc on top of it. They're going to take splash damage from every flak burst.

Last edited by Stardouser; 2012-09-18 at 09:50 PM.
Old 2012-09-19, 01:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
wormywyrm
Private

I think this was hilarious and awesome. Why not keep it in? As long as it is not OP. Looks like it was very hard to do. If it is OP they could still keep it in they just need to make it harder to do (increase sliding slightly but not so much that its impossible to do).
Old 2012-09-19, 04:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
berzerkerking
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by xuur View Post
magnetic boot cert.

Marry me
Old 2012-09-19, 06:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Dagron
Captain

Originally Posted by SniperSteve View Post
They can fill up the bio lab with tanks while the fight is still far from it, all it takes is one gal pilot who isn't terrible and whoever is going to drive the tanks, park them at every entrance and blast anyone who even peeks inside.
I too find it funny as hell and it may not be so OP, i'd do it every time i had the opportunity, but i know why the opportunity shouldn't be there in the first place: the idea of the bio lab is to have an infantry only base for the sake of gameplay diversity.

Last edited by Dagron; 2012-09-19 at 07:20 AM.
Old 2012-09-19, 09:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Snorkman
Private

Cool
Old 2012-09-19, 12:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Dagron
Captain

Oh and i forgot to say that i don't see infantry surfing vehicles as a problem. In fact, i'd love it.
Old 2012-09-19, 01:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
KernolKlusterFk
Corporal

I know right. Vehicles on vehicles may be questionable still epic though. But Infantry on vehicles is a must have. Im pretty damn sure most players want it. Its in the fucking trailer.
Old 2012-09-19, 02:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Captain1nsaneo
Major

Misc Info

Someone already got a tank into a biolab? Cool, saves me time. The Lib is still on my list of things to get into a biolab though. The auto landing is causing me problems however.

Quick word about if we should be able to do this:

Yes, we should.

Here's the reasoning, in a game where fighting is the norm only the unusual situations will stick out in the memory. I don't remember the 100s of times I've fought over Gunuku but I remember some of the stranger and more intense fights. Getting a prowler into a biolab will be something those guys will reminisce about and if enemies come against it they will remember it too. These unusual behaviors create unique experiences that outshine the moment to moment typical FPS combat that we know so well.

To address gameplay concerns:

It's not OP in the least. In the video you can clearly see the limited mobility inside such a station, any sort of AV would be able to tear it to pieces. There's a reason why being armor in an urban environment is so freaking dangerous. This is a hard to do thing that is easy to counter. If they're camping the pads with tanks then bring in a lib that can drop shells inside (or wait for them to run out of ammo). It's not hard, we are people and we can be clever. Infantry can deal with tanks well enough outside, I see no reason that they couldn't deal with them in a biodome.
This isn't a viable tactic. Believe me, this kind of thing is my bread and freaking butter.

And finally a rant:

Please stop trying to shield parts of the game that players are using in ways that don't conform to the original design. More often than not players have more fun in the subversion of systems than in their adherence to them. The greater ingenuity that players can work on their environment the more they will stop looking upon the game as a game filled with mechanics and more upon it as a form of reality. In the original we had people who reported hallucinations revolving around cloakers, zoom, implants, voice macros, and lag.
To limit players brazenly is to remind them they are in a game.

If there are problems with vehicles then don't make edge cases, change how they interact on a basic level across all vehicles in their collisions. Hold to the natural narrative that is created by the physics engine and do not have ugly edge case solutions that are not echoed across the whole.
Old 2012-09-19, 05:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
KernolKlusterFk
Corporal

Originally Posted by Captain1nsaneo View Post
Someone already got a tank into a biolab? Cool, saves me time. The Lib is still on my list of things to get into a biolab though. The auto landing is causing me problems however.

Here's the reasoning, in a game where fighting is the norm only the unusual situations will stick out in the memory. I don't remember the 100s of times I've fought over Gunuku but I remember some of the stranger and more intense fights. Getting a prowler into a biolab will be something those guys will reminisce about and if enemies come against it they will remember it too. These unusual behaviors create unique experiences that outshine the moment to moment typical FPS combat that we know so well.

To address gameplay concerns:

It's not OP in the least. In the video you can clearly see the limited mobility inside such a station, any sort of AV would be able to tear it to pieces.

Please stop trying to shield parts of the game that players are using in ways that don't conform to the original design. More often than not players have more fun in the subversion of systems than in their adherence to them. The greater ingenuity that players can work on their environment the more they will stop looking upon the game as a game filled with mechanics and more upon it as a form of reality.
Very well said. I hope the developers are reading this. I want the game to have those epic moments people will remember. I dont think a galaxy moving 5 MPH with a tank on it is OP at all. Not to mention a vehicle with infantry on it is a ice cream sandwhich waiting for someone to bomb it and get a lot of kills. The game should be made to be interactive and fun, not realistic. Loose the Scifi theme while your at it and make it like ARMA if you want a realistic war simulator.

Last edited by KernolKlusterFk; 2012-09-19 at 05:04 PM.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault