SOE doing more about hackers? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: We all to fight, aight?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-12-09, 07:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Crator
Major General

Re: SOE doing more about hackers?

Are in-game operative GMs there to trap hackers? I have a hard time believing they need a trap though. I've seen an accused aim-bot hacker's stats and it definitely looked like he was a hacker, just from looking at his stats.
Old 2012-12-09, 07:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

I don't actually know what the GMs are there for, in the sense of actively going around the world. I guess it's to catch obivous hackers? Or just as a show of force?

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.
Old 2012-12-09, 10:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
SlotJockey
Private

I would love to see a number tally on how many hackers were caught per server this weekend.

I only seen a few so far, and it seems that the idiots that use the teleport hack is the easiest to prove.

I just don't get why a few players think they can fool the GMs. However it's F2P and that gives an open invitation to all those wonderful scum. This is also a great way to encourage those said hackers to try to get around SOE's defenses.

The Devs can adjust and overcome the hackers.
Old 2012-12-09, 03:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Hamma
PSU Admin

I think it's a show of force more than anything.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-12-09, 03:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Ritual
Banned

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Isn't that the same as doing nothing?

The only thing that matters is how many people they are banning. And I don't see ANY of the people I am reporting get banned.
Old 2012-12-09, 03:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Hamma
PSU Admin

Yes the show of force means they are doing nothing

They are making everyone aware they are watching closely for hackers.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-12-09, 03:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Ritual
Banned

Yes the show of force means they are doing nothing

They are making everyone aware they are watching closely for hackers.
But are they? The first day they were sitting around the base's invulnerable doing jack squat while everyone shot at them and sending out useless broadcoast's like "We are GM's hoho look at me, stop wasting ammo I am cheating while looking for cheaters".

I talked to one. Asked him to come watch this player aimbotting. Aimbotter goes on to kill like ten people. I ask him if he watched him, GM replies yes. So I send a tell to the hacker "Enjoy your ban". GM tells me, we can't tell you wether we are going to ban him.

An hour later, who do I see? That same aimbotter!?

Until I start seeing bans and less cheaters, no they aren't doing anything.
Old 2012-12-09, 04:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
DirtyBird
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

I must admit it was quite amusing last night being spammed by the drone while an alleged hacker ran rampant.

Maybe the GM was busy looking into the report made by a new player about the "hackers" in the warpgate who dont die when he shoots them....

Probably going to take that some time for that one GM per server to action all of the reports for hacking, griefers and false reports.
Old 2012-12-09, 04:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Beerbeer
Major

Yeah, got pissed last night seeing another hacker. I died just as that spam was screaming across my screen. I couldn't help but laugh at first, then I got mad.

Also, I kind of thought about this more, but I may stop reporting hackers. Not that I've run across many, but I have. Sounds horrible, right? Well, it's not my job to police their game and it's worrisome to me that we are seemingly their only "eyes" out there.

They need to change something, or add something, which should have been done a long time ago, before the cat got out of the bag.

Last edited by Beerbeer; 2012-12-09 at 04:59 PM.
Old 2012-12-09, 06:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Mordelicius
Major

It has gone to texture and wall hacks now lol. One guy was either shooting from the wall or underground and killing us again and again, it's hilarious. For all his futile efforts, the NC still held the Crown . Players get frustrated and they switch to hacks I like it that since it's double xp, the NC decides to defend rather than leave outright.

And he doesn't seemed to be concerned all his accounts will be banned. Imo, hackers will eventually tire out because they won't be able to progress in-game.
There will be new hackers, but the older hackers will eventually tire out.
Old 2012-12-09, 08:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
SGOniell
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Mordelicius View Post
Imo, hackers will eventually tire out because they won't be able to progress in-game.
There will be new hackers, but the older hackers will eventually tire out.
Hope you're right
Old 2012-12-09, 08:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Wahooo
Captain

Its like the skyguard. Doesn't really do anything but they hope it will scare away the offenders.

Honestly from experience with PS1 how can the community NOT be cynical about SOE and hackers?

The thing with Planetside is and always has been the massive scale of the combat and the persistent world means that a single cheater has a bigger impact on more people than in a shooter with instanced combat. I sent PM's to Brewko several times about this years ago that adequate response to cheaters in other games is simply NOT adequate to Planetside.

I peruse several cheaters forums off and on to see what they are saying. I haven't checked this weekend but so far since release there has not bee a lot of anyone talking about being banned or even being at risk.

Now to say that the GM's "lounging around" means they aren't doing anything is silly. If GM's are in game I would expect them on this issue to have multiple monitors on and checking through data and stats more than actually running around and taking part in the game.

But um... yeah the broadcasts and even Smed's big tweet about banning the aimjunkies guy seems to be a LOT more bark than bite. Google search "Planetside 2 hacks" Page after page of hits about Smed's Tweet and "SOE's Hard Stance on Cheating". Well I guess that was a good thing, overload google search and bury the actual cheats, but the people that want them will find them.
Old 2012-12-10, 10:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
UrMom
Private

I played all weekend on Jaegar (till 2am saturday, and 4am sunday) and I saw two hackers. One guy was one shotting and two shotting me and a buddy of mine with an assault rifle from ridiculous range. He even shot me without his character even shooting or anything, just 180 turn on me boom dead. He seemed to be using it sparingly though, cause we ran into him later and he wasn't doing it anymore and we owned him lol.

The other one had the name "FamousxAA2" I'm assuming the AA means artificial aim or something. This guy was completely using it and not hiding it at all, speed hacking all over the place, looked like superman running all over the place, his guns weren't like over powered one shotting us, but def aim bot, he was landing every shot once you got in view of him.

One thing I have noticed, and i'm not sure if it's just me or slight hacking, but i'll see guys running normal and shooting normal but when you go toe to toe with them they'll strafe back and forth really really fast. It's like they are speed hacking but only during the engagement. I know people are good with the strafe but these dudes are over the top. I dunno.

Just my experiences from the weekend.
Old 2012-12-10, 11:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Simokon
Corporal

I haven't seen one on waterson all weekend, anyone else see any?
Old 2012-12-10, 11:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
SixShooter
Captain

Originally Posted by Wahooo View Post
Its like the skyguard. Doesn't really do anything but they hope it will scare away the offenders.
Best analogy ever!

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion