The Game Who Cried "NERF!" - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Are we done here?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-01-13, 01:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
ShadetheDruid
First Lieutenant

Re: The Game Who Cried "NERF!"

Sure, more guns that do different things would be great. In fact, take inspiration from Borderlands and give me a gun that fires explosive darts instead of bullets, or a rifle that fires mini-rockets.

Still doesn't change that just because two guns fire bullets, it doesn't mean they play the exact same in the game. All you're doing is arguing semantics here.
Old 2013-01-13, 01:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Shogun
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Synnoc View Post
Not that I'm trying to put words in people's mouths, but when someone says they're trying to "save Planetside 2", it's usually just shorthand for "give Planetside 2 the ideas, frameworks and overall feel of Planetside 1 that made it such a beloved game, while at the same time replacing the bad parts of Planetside 1 with the new modern sensibilities". If the game lasts forever, but doesn't feel like Planetside, then to those that loved the original so much it might as well be dead.
this may be the case.
i am one of the vets who want more ps1 elements in ps2.
i think the main problem with ps2 is, that the devs mainly cater to bf and cod players. it´s not wrong to cater to them! don´t get me wrong! but ps1 also catered to tactical players, to sneaking game players (splintercell, etc.) and several other playstyles i cannot name the appropriate standalone games for.
this part is missing from ps2! if you don´t like the cod or bf playstyle, you will not get warm with ps2. adding other playstyle possibilities may not bring advantages to the players who already enjoy the game now, but they will draw in new other players and old vets, who especially like and use those elements.
this is the only way to let the game grow to its true potential! every player can play their own playstyle and it all adds up to a real warfare feeling.

i agree with the op, that the positive aspects of the actual game are a bit underrepresented in the forums, but the constructive criticism is totally appreciated! i just don´t like negative flamers who don´t give any constructive ideas at all.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2013-01-13, 01:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
capiqu
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Synnoc View Post
Not that I'm trying to put words in people's mouths, but when someone says they're trying to "save Planetside 2", it's usually just shorthand for "give Planetside 2 the ideas, frameworks and overall feel of Planetside 1 that made it such a beloved game, while at the same time replacing the bad parts of Planetside 1 with the new modern sensibilities". If the game lasts forever, but doesn't feel like Planetside, then to those that loved the original so much it might as well be dead.
Original Planetside player here with an active subscription since 2003 so yeah I did,do and will always love Planetside1. But so many people that say they loved Planetside abandoned the game. So now they want to make Planetside 2 a carbon copy of Planetside. Hey no one would like Planetside2 to be 95%-99% planetside more than me. However even if it does not, Planetside2 is the closest thing to Planetside.
Every time I log on to Planetside because yes I do miss it, all I hear is crickets. So where are the Planetside lovers?

Old 2013-01-13, 01:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Bags
Lieutenant General

yes balance is perfect tanks counter tanks all hail lord smedlous~
Old 2013-01-13, 01:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Shogun
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by capiqu View Post
Every time I log on to Planetside because yes I do miss it, all I hear is crickets. So where are the Planetside lovers?
they are waiting for the game to go free to play ;-)

oh and yes, i would resubscribe if they would just slap the new graphics on the old game and there was a decent population of players.

Old 2013-01-13, 01:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
capiqu
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post
they are waiting for the game to go free to play ;-)

oh and yes, i would resubscribe if they would just slap the new graphics on the old game and there was a decent population of players.
I wish.

Old 2013-01-13, 01:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
DovahTerran
Corporal

Sheesh. wasn't expecting to get flash-fried that badly.

Anyway, I also appreciate that people take time to look back on their experience and create constructive discussions of how the game works and what could be done to improve it. I'm not arguing that that's a bad thing. Malorn's Planetside Manifesto was an amazing bit of work. I've roved around and seen plenty of great things that people have written/recorded that detail their views quite well. What gets a bit ridiculous is the doom and gloom (an internet prerequisite i suppose ) that comes with it.

I'd love to see guns that do weird/crazy/unconventional things. The NC are the cardboard and duck tape hillbillies of PS2. Where are their equally ridiculous ducktape-and-cardboard weapons? Futuristic version of pipe bombs, maybe?

And the VS could easily come up with an honest to goodness laser cannon that you could deploy and fire. Think about that giant gun lying around in all the Tech Plant capture rooms. Who WOULDN'T want to use that beauty?

The balance does need have some room for improvement. But something I'm noticing here is that everyone wants everything to be totally balanced. I don't think real war is that way. I don't think most other games are that way. Granted, the balance must have a presence in order to make having 3 completely different factions with moderately different playstyles viable. But each empire should feel distinct. Each empire should have advantages over the other.

IMHO: The VS will always have the best tech. Their equipment should reflect that. The NC should always have the cardboard and ducktape armor and weapons that are as rickety and unconventional as they are deadly. They would NOT be underpowered. Just different. The TR have centuries-old designs that have been tried, tested and perfected under every condition. You should see that in their weapons' reliability and general feel.

Yea/Nay/QFT?
Old 2013-01-13, 02:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Shogun
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by DovahTerran View Post

Yea/Nay/QFT?
QFT i would say. it worked in ps1 (yeah there was whining about it, but it worked pretty well for 10 years) and other topselling games showed that it´s possible. starcraft anyone? perfect balance totally different playstyles.

and i would change to vanu if they would get a digdug gun that inflates enemies till they burst

Old 2013-01-13, 02:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
StumpyTheOzzie
Second Lieutenant

The balance does need have some room for improvement. But something I'm noticing here is that everyone wants everything to be totally balanced. I don't think real war is that way. I don't think most other games are that way. Granted, the balance must have a presence in order to make having 3 completely different factions with moderately different playstyles viable. But each empire should feel distinct. Each empire should have advantages over the other.

IMHO: The VS will always have the best tech. Their equipment should reflect that. The NC should always have the cardboard and ducktape armor and weapons that are as rickety and unconventional as they are deadly. They would NOT be underpowered. Just different. The TR have centuries-old designs that have been tried, tested and perfected under every condition. You should see that in their weapons' reliability and general feel.

Yea/Nay/QFT?
Protoss vs terran vs zerg.

Balance can be done while keeping things different. It has been proven. It's just a matter of will and $$$
Old 2013-01-13, 03:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

The NC are the cardboard and duck tape hillbillies of PS2. Where are their equally ridiculous ducktape-and-cardboard weapons? Futuristic version of pipe bombs, maybe?

Their equipment should reflect that. The NC should always have the cardboard and ducktape armor and weapons that are as rickety and unconventional as they are deadly. They would NOT be underpowered. Just different.
Stop making up lore for the NC that has nothing to do with the original game and that the NC players dont want.

The original lore was the the NC used more basic weapons weapons modified to hit harder. Not that they built tanks out of old junk.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion