Cloakers need to bea ble to shoot cloaked! - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Do you braid your nose hairs, or do they grow like that?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-03-19, 04:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Gatekeeper
Sergeant Major

Re: Cloakers need to bea ble to shoot cloaked!

Yeah, pressing the fire button should drop your cloak and then fire. It's not rocket-science, it's basic user-interface design: why force the user to make an additional, redundant button-press when their intent is clear?

As it stands it's just a feature that makes Infiltrators that much harder for new players to adapt to, without actually adding any depth or skill.

Old 2013-03-19, 04:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Snipefrag
Contributor
First Lieutenant

I agree that fire should drop you out of cloak, its really clunky at the moment.. For no particular reason.
Old 2013-03-19, 07:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

I don't have a problem with the first round fired taking you out of cloak. I agree with Snipe, the current system is clunky.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.
Old 2013-03-19, 07:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Mastachief View Post
No. Be happy with SMG, infils are for sneaky sneaky not ironmanning.

I'd be open to perma cloaks with weaker pistols able to fire while cloaked ala ps1.
Pretty much this. I wouldn't mind an automatic decloak for snipers and SMG users though, with equal delay (having to press multiple buttons and taking a finger off of the movement button is a bit of an unnecessary hassle).

(Still, I'd much rather not see sniper rifles or SMGs on supposed infils in the first place).
Old 2013-03-19, 07:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Dragonskin
Major

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
Pretty much this. I wouldn't mind an automatic decloak for snipers and SMG users though, with equal delay (having to press multiple buttons and taking a finger off of the movement button is a bit of an unnecessary hassle).

(Still, I'd much rather not see sniper rifles or SMGs on supposed infils in the first place).
K, I know you want the old school infiltrators back. So assuming they do change infiltrators then they would have SMGs and sniper rifles that need a new class or existing class for a home. Where do those go? Do you make a new class?

As much as I like the class system in Planetside 2... I do sometimes wish you had to make conscious choices of what abilities and gear you had because you had a limited amount of points you were able to spend to unlock you kit/abilities. It made for more unique setups and players running builds that were game play specific in MAG... since I don't have PS1 as a refferance. I liked MAG's setup a lot. Inventory space and limited skill points to unlock weapons/abilities.
Old 2013-03-19, 07:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Satanam
Sergeant

I just can't understand how people find it hard to cloak in a place where you're in cover. It's not made to uncloak when you're almost inside your enemy, not made to start shooting right after uncloaked. You need to go cloaked, check your enemy positions and possible ways you'd success at killing them without being raped by their allies, get a cover, uncloak and then start shooting.
That's what I do, and that's how you infiltrate enemy bases to start hacking their terminals and turrets. And, yes, it works.
Old 2013-03-19, 08:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Dragonskin View Post
K, I know you want the old school infiltrators back. So assuming they do change infiltrators then they would have SMGs and sniper rifles that need a new class or existing class for a home. Where do those go? Do you make a new class?
Why would you need new classes? First off, SMGs are already being used by numerous classes. Second, I don't see what's wrong with a HA, medic, engi or even LA using a sniper rifle.

They'd be less powerful than people who can aim while cloaked.

As much as I like the class system in Planetside 2... I do sometimes wish you had to make conscious choices of what abilities and gear you had because you had a limited amount of points you were able to spend to unlock you kit/abilities. It made for more unique setups and players running builds that were game play specific in MAG... since I don't have PS1 as a refferance. I liked MAG's setup a lot. Inventory space and limited skill points to unlock weapons/abilities.
That pretty much describes what PS1 did.
Old 2013-03-19, 08:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Hamma
PSU Admin

While the selfish side of me says this is an excellent idea the logical side says no.

I'm able to do plenty of damage with my cloaker with no ability to shoot when cloaked.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2013-03-19, 08:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
VaderShake
First Lieutenant

First off is it really that hard to uncloak and shoot? I have never had a problem with it.

Also I don't think shooting while cloaked is the way to go.......now using upclose Infiltrator specific melee weapons while cloaked I could understand......Fiber Wire Choke Cord anyone? High risk upclose silent option...
Old 2013-03-19, 08:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Hamma
PSU Admin

I've never had issues with uncloaking and shooting quickly then cloaking again.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2013-03-19, 09:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
coconut
Private

I love playing as sniper from time to time, and I'm against the suggestion that firing should automatically uncloak you.

Keep in mind uncloaking isn't immediate, and the suggested mechanism would result in a delayed shot, unless uncloaking is made immediate or shooting while uncloaking is allowed. Both these changes would give snipers and infiltrators more power, which is not going to go down well with the victims. As others have pointed out, infiltrators and snipers can already deal a whole lot of damage with cloaking as it is now.

Currently, in sniper fights, you have the choice of being stealthy and slow-shooting or exposed and fast-shooting. Both strategies can work, but introducing auto-uncloak would make the latter worthless.

In this case, I don't think the added convenience is worth the cost of removing tactical complexity.

Last edited by coconut; 2013-03-19 at 10:16 AM.
Old 2013-03-19, 09:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
VaderShake
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by coconut View Post
I love playing as sniper from time to time, and I'm against the suggestion that firing should automatically uncloak you.

Keep in mind uncloaking isn't immediate, and the suggested mechanism would result in a delayed shot, unless uncloaking is made immediate or shooting while uncloaking. Both these changes would give snipers and infiltrators more power, which is not going to go down well with the victims. As others have pointed out, infiltrators and snipers can already deal a whole lot of damage with cloaking as it is now.

Currently, in sniper fights, you have the choice of being stealthy and slow-shooting or exposed and fast-shooting. Both strategies can work, but introducing auto-uncloak would make the latter worthless.

In this case, I don't think the added convenience is worth the cost of removing tactical complexity.
Even the Coconut here see's the common sense....
Old 2013-03-19, 09:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Canaris
Contributor
General

nope

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms
Old 2013-03-19, 09:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Dragonskin
Major

I think it's a needed change. Infiltrators will love it. An alpha strike that they can immediately press cloak to hide again? Why wouldn't an infiltrator want that? To add to that lets give them shotgun access again so they can get pump shotguns that decloak them when they shoot too. Maybe even give infiltrators special silencers option for their pump shotgun to throw a little COD gameplay in.

Better yet, why don't we just keep cloak so that you can shoot while in cloak with specific weapons? You know that crossbow they are teasing... that's IT! Also make sure the crossbows have multiple ammo types that can be certed or possibly even equiped at the same time so you can have different ammo options for different situations on the fly. Just press B to change ammo types instead of selecting the fire option on a gun. Then we can have Crysis 3 game play in Plantside 2. That would be AMAZING!

/end sarcasm... felt this needed to be added incase people didn't catch on.
Old 2013-03-19, 10:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Gatekeeper
Sergeant Major

Strange to see so much opposition to a simple change. As I understand it, all that's being suggested is that clicking your left mouse button would press F for you. What's the problem here? Will making the Infiltrator easier for new players to cope with somehow eat into your hard-won skills?

So yeah, don't change the balance. Don't remove the delay between de-cloaking and firing - just queue up that first shot for when the cloak is gone, and take it as read that the player meant to press F but forgot.

I know a lot of people who post here are very experienced players who find it hard to remember what a steep learning curve this game has, but issues like this do put new players off. Anything that makes the game smoother and more intuitive to play is a good thing, and being elitist about how easy you find it after spending days in game is not a good counter-argument.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion