When will a competent developer make an MMOFPS - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: The quotes...they're taking over...help....please...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 2013-05-20, 01:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

Re: When will a competent developer make an MMOFPS

Originally Posted by phungus View Post
Shotguns and "invisible god mode".
Yeah shotguns are fine weapons at point blank range. Yes I think shotgun buckshot should work differently depending on the kind of armor you are wearing. But it is the way it is. At least they were nerfed a little in the last patch so you only get OHks to the body at about 10 feet.

Your rendering issues? Yeah sometimes av turrets set at their most extreme ranges can fire invisible missiles. This used to be a problem with the dalton as well. I imagine at some point the av turret will have a range limitation and the invisible av missile thing will be solved.

I totally agree that this game has some issues. But we have the experts in mmofps at work on it and little by little things are getting fixed. Maybe Phungus, you should take a little break from the game for a while. Stay up to date on the changes mind you. Come back when this game is more in line with what you think it should be.
Old 2013-05-20, 01:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
GeoGnome
First Sergeant

Compressed for space
"Invisible God Mode" seems like something I should have been reading 3 months ago, prior to the render improvements. I just, Don't die anymore to people I don't see with the exception of people using the mana turret beyond 200m... and that only works in a few places, so I am not as annoyed about that. People aren't "Invisble" as much as it is, that it's just really hard to spot a single person while in the air, zipping along at 200km/h without using IR or NV, and those have a limited range. Also your field of view for most planes is limited, so something directly below, or slightly behind you on the ground will not be something you can see easily.

Really the only time that I have significant lag issues, is when I go into a battle that involves upwards of 400 people in the same base, then I'll get some frame rate issues and people will start popping in and out as if by magic... but when there are upwards of 400 people in the same quarter mile... Yeah, that goes back to: Is it even technologically possible for that kind of thing to work?

Honestly though, your being a bit hyperbolic if you think infantry combat requires a PAS. The number of those I have seen lately has dropped considerably. I get killed much more often by the Jackhammer and ESPECIALLY the Piston, than I ever get killed by the Claw. There just isn't a significant advantage to the PAS anymore, comparatively to the other shotguns, and that is a Good thing... the weapons are situational, and used according to play style and accuracy, there is no longer a go-to weapon for everything infantry.
Old 2013-05-20, 01:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Shogun
Contributor
General

it´s a shame that someone opens such a thread on planetsides 10th birthday!

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2013-05-20, 01:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Obstruction
First Sergeant

i think maybe you are grumpy about something else and it's just manifesting as this very sad cry for attention.

maybe you need a change of pace in life, some sex, a new job (or go get one in the first place), or maybe you just need a cup of coffee.

maybe you need to call your mom so she can tell you how proud she is.

something like that. because if i have to see you misuse "then" when you mean "than" one more time i'm just going to click ignore and move on. in fact maybe that's the best thing for everyone at this point.
Old 2013-05-20, 01:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
WSNeo
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by basti View Post
You ask what we think with THAT title for your thread?

I tell you what we think: GET LOST!
/thread

Old 2013-05-20, 01:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

What on earth is this "invisible god mode" you are talking about?

and what on earth do you mean 50% of your kills count??

99.9% of the kills I get are fine. the only time I don't get a kill is when it's an assist cause someone else kill steals it but that is an issue in any FPS and always will be.
Old 2013-05-20, 02:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Emperor Newt
Second Lieutenant

Firefall. Bit rough around the edges and needs more content but it's another MMOFPS.
Question answered. Problem solved.
Old 2013-05-20, 03:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Thank god. This existential angst was killing me.

/curtain
/scene
Old 2013-05-20, 03:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
EvilNinjadude
Second Lieutenant

/applause
/exeunt.
Old 2013-05-20, 04:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Snydenthur
Master Sergeant

I hate all this over exaggerating. It's always "one click win button", "invisible god mode" etc. Shotguns aren't required for infantry fights. In fact, they are the minority on the infantry fights. While the non-rendering enemies is a true problem, it's either that or awful performance. It's better out of two evils. And it isn't as bad as you're saying it is.

And so what, if 50% of the people bail out. How about you play the game instead of trying to play it like a team deathmatch. You at least helped the team by destroying a vehicle.
Old 2013-05-20, 04:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Dude, get off the stage.
Old 2013-05-20, 04:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

Planetside2 is very broken on many levels. Invisible god mode dictates my actions more then anything (keep in mind I fly an ESF), I get killed by invisible rockets flying through mountains more then I can count, infantry fighting requires pump action shotguns, infantry fighting has no cover from aircraft (which means the game's mechanics for air vs ground relies nearly entirely on invisible god mode - quite litterally), half of my kills go uncredited because the developers think it's a good idea to give players a single button push option to deny kills (which leads to a defacto 50% RANDOM chance of getting a kill every time I kill an enemy). I can go on and on, the point being this game is fundamentally broken on so many levels it's hardly playable. But I still play it because it is the only MMOFPS on the market, hell I payed Sony $100 mainly to help show this genre is commercially viable.

Every time I play this game though, every damn time, I just get irked by multiple issues. I know it's more then just me because all the people I talk to in game or out complain insessnetly about all the major game breaking issues in PS2. Legitamate complaining about game breaking issues isn't the norm for any other game I have played - yes forum whines are normal but it goes way beyond that with this game. If I get on the mic with people playing battlefield they don't spend over half their time complaining about the game, hell I can't think of any game I have ever played where the main thing on player's minds is simply broken game mechanics...

I really think the MMOFPS is beyond viable. In my opinion once a working MMOFPS is released it will be the next billion dollar game that might make a new developer and put them on the map, or be another feather in the cap of a current publisher/developer like valve. But the key is the game must be functional and not rely on mechanics like invisible god mode for game balance.

What are your guy's thoughts? Does anyone forsee a developer/publisher actually going for it, and if so who? What are the core mechanics you guys think are necessary in an MMOFPS, like do we really need territory conquest done like mini battlefields or are there other options for the genre?

My thought is that you should go eat a pile of $h!t.
Old 2013-05-20, 04:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Shogun
Contributor
General

so would a mod please close this?
i don´t see anything positive coming up from this. and we don´t need a topic with this name on page one that only consists of flaming and shitstorming.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2013-05-20, 05:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
phungus
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post
so would a mod please close this?
i don´t see anything positive coming up from this. and we don´t need a topic with this name on page one that only consists of flaming and shitstorming.
That would make sense. Apologies for posting this thread, this was obviously a poor forum choice for the topic. Some of you all seem to get some small measure of joy out of continuing the same repetitive responses though, so might be worth keeping open if only for that.
Old 2013-05-20, 06:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
OmegaPREDATOR
Corporal

Planetside2 is very broken on many levels.
I don't agree with all but whit these sentence I really agree.

Originally Posted by ChipMHazard View Post
SOE is a competent developer and if you and others complain so much about the game while playing it then why don't you just stop playing it?
If so why bugs reported till beta are still here ? (and beta had less bug than now).
Why bugs corrected in some hotfix return in following GU ?
Did you remember the loud sounds and lights of tech plant facility who appen every time you cap any thing after GU06 ?
Respawn crashs just appear after GU08 and are still here.
I still see cheaters (I report them) who warp behind you or shoot from wall. Don't know what have been done before to prevent that but is it so hard to had the same physics for inside and outside of walls (can't shoot when wall hack) and to send the ID of players who use some devs mod in the game (warp , fly, invisibilty, invincibility) ?

I don't think devs are bad exept they don't really test changes (in each hotfix it's write "you MAY see that correction ...") and don't work closely,making codes who interfered each other giving so much bugs.

Maybe they are not enought, maybe they have not enought time. Still there is issues every time and that's why many players go away (and no they don't return for new helmet). Game is still playable but lost interest everytime you have one of them.

Last edited by OmegaPREDATOR; 2013-05-20 at 06:28 PM.
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion