News: Video of GDC Media Event - Page 20 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: What gets NC guts off your bumper?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-03-07, 09:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #286
megamold
Second Lieutenant

Re: Video of GDC Media Event

i hear ppl talking about how the TTK is pretty much like bf3, well look at this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...LAAIOc4#t=212s

the dude actually takes quite a few hits ( +-6 bullets left in a 30round clip with pretty much all of em being hits)
in bf3 i can kill like 5 guys with the same amount of ammo
so TTK is pretty low on my list of worries right now
Old 2012-03-07, 09:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #287
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by megamold View Post
i hear ppl talking about how the TTK is pretty much like bf3, well look at this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...LAAIOc4#t=212s

the dude actually takes quite a few hits ( +-6 bullets left in a 30round clip with pretty much all of em being hits)
in bf3 i can kill like 5 guys with the same amount of ammo
so TTK is pretty low on my list of worries right now
4 shots at mid range. Count the hit indicator.
Old 2012-03-07, 09:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #288
RavenUSC3
Private

I know Higby mentioned that's just one type of base, but it didn't look like there was much indoor fighting. When I first saw pictures of those huge bases I imagined long tunnels and countless rooms connected, not all separated throughout the base. One of the things I liked most about the first Planetside was the indoor/outdoor battle mix. Sure that base had a huge courtyard but its not quite the same. Hopefully the other bases will have more to do inside with a complex series of tunnels and such to navigate through.
First CR5 in Planetside
Old 2012-03-07, 09:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #289
megamold
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by MrBloodworth View Post
4 shots at mid range. Count the hit indicator.
the indicator is not a good way to tell, since the indicator animation is slower then the bullets are striking ( since you would barely see the indicator otherwise ) like it is in any game with a hit indicator.

by actually looking at where the bullets strike i would say of the +-24 bullets fired about 18 were direct hits
so lets say roughly half a clip, if i would take this info into acount when the target is not standing still that would be quite the firefight.

its shorter then in ps1 i realise that, but lets be honest here : ps1 was a seriously slow paced game and thats not a bad thing, but spicing it up a little wont ruin the game imho

edit: and if you can upgrade your shield like you can with the vanguard ( seen in same video ) then i could assume that most of the people playing in the demo are lvl1 temp accounts for the demo with no certs, and the guy i posted above is actually a higher lvl ( like matt's lvl 16 )

Last edited by megamold; 2012-03-07 at 09:27 AM.
Old 2012-03-07, 09:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #290
RedKnights
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by N1H1L View Post
Some serious bugs in these videos. First, Higby is driving a tank and firing the main gun. Second, when someone kills him, his camera points at the player who killed him, revealing the killer's position. Third, it looked like Luperza was in a cloak suit and stuck out like a sore thumb while crouching still. Unless the visual effect on her was some kind of shield. If that's how cloaking is going to be i probably won't be able to play this game.
None are really bugs they've all been announced
  1. Driver Fires main gun, that's a gameplay decision they made, however it was stated secondary weapons are going to be far more if not more powerful for the gunner(s) to use.
  2. I can't really think of any point in PS1 where my position being revealed would have been detrimental, plus preventing camping is a plus, keep gameplay moving.
  3. From the way they described it cloaking will be dependent on the gear you are carrying. Since Margaret was carrying a Sniper weapon the cloak was not that significant, compared to say if she was carrying an AMP or pistol. At least that's what has been hinted at. .
Old 2012-03-07, 09:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #291
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by megamold View Post
the indicator is not a good way to tell
It is THE way to tell. That's why its there.

Its not called the "Sometimes, Hit indicator".

Last edited by MrBloodworth; 2012-03-07 at 09:27 AM.
Old 2012-03-07, 09:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #292
Lorgarn
Master Sergeant

Nerdgasm, nerdgasm, nerdgasm!

Enough said.
Old 2012-03-07, 09:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #293
Coreldan
Colonel

No, the hit indicator really isnt good for calculating shots to kill just for the reason given to you earlier. You basically can't be really able to properly count how many shots hit, say that he fires 4 shots with full auto: hit, miss, hit, hit. I seriously doubt you would be able to tell the second shot missed at full auto from the hit indicator.

It's just about the same on every game. I really doubt it was 4 hits to kill as it took Higby a crapton more in just about every scenario he was in.

Then we have to consider that headshots deal more damage than body shots. Some were likely headshots, some body shots.

Then again, judgding from the bullet count doesnt work either, it takes several bullets worth before you stop firing before you can react to the guy dying. Also he clearly misses several shots too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...IMXJEiI#t=398s at this place I'm counting 6-7 body shots at point blank range to kill. Definitely not very few.

Sometime later he catches the half floating bugging TR scum and puts what looks like 3 shots to the head at close range. Could make sense for a head shot to deal double damage.

EDIT: Ok, I sorta take it back, its fairly easy to count from the hit indicators in this video seeing that Higby misses enough In the case where you counted 4 hit indicators, I count 6-7. Fairly easy to see on full screen 1080p.

Quite BF3 "normal" like. I couldnt really stand playing with that arcade TTK in BF3, so I only play hardcore That said, Planetside is different for me cos its actually unique and not a run of the mill online FPS.

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube

Last edited by Coreldan; 2012-03-07 at 09:42 AM.
Old 2012-03-07, 09:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #294
FastAndFree
Contributor
Major

No, he's right, think about it.

Say your gun fires 3 bullets per second. You hit with the first but miss with the other two. If the hit indicator wasn't slower than your RoF and every missed shot "overwrote" hits you would only see it light up for 1/3 of a second.

Now imagine if your gun fired even faster
Old 2012-03-07, 09:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #295
megamold
Second Lieutenant

no. its not.

for a bullet hit to register takes some time ( actually it takes no time but lets say it does )
lets say it takes 0.05 of a second and you indicator flashes at the same speed then you will not have seen it cause thats just to fast.
so they make the indicator flashing animation slower so you can actually see it
wich means that the indicator flash from the hits blur together when it registers multiple sequential hits
so 1 indicator flash might indicate anywhere from 1 to 15 direct hits.
if you dont believe me try it out for yourself in any game you want. ( ie. firing a full clip at point blank range will give you 1 long indicator flash)

also: if i stood that far away from someone in bf3 with an assault rifle they would still be dead much much quicker then the dude in the clip, regardless of indicators and bulletcounting

Last edited by megamold; 2012-03-07 at 09:39 AM.
Old 2012-03-07, 09:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #296
Aaron
Contributor
Sergeant Major

I say the faster the TTK is the better! It makes it feel like you're using something lethal and can do some damage. Sure, you have to play more carefully, but I like that.
Old 2012-03-07, 09:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #297
megamold
Second Lieutenant

on a different note !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...IMXJEiI#t=116s

higby called it a guild interface instead of outfit interface

*rable rable rable*
Old 2012-03-07, 10:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #298
bjorntju1
Captain

Damn that looked amazing! I can't wait for it!

Also found this video. Dunno if it has been posted already:

Old 2012-03-07, 10:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #299
Bzak
Private

Originally Posted by EVILoHOMER View Post
I think in a massive battle you're highly unlikely to find that person easily again. Also camping positions should be picked out, no one likes campers.
Originally Posted by Bzak View Post
ohhh that kill cam shows so much. Way to much information a corpse does not deserve to know.
I am thinking. I could come up with situation after situation for every class in the game where the kill cam will give away people. But it comes down to that the kill cam will make it very hard for any smaller force to over come a larger foe. I notice a few times in the video where the kill cam allows the dead player to see into areas of the battle that weren't even visible to him before he died.
Old 2012-03-07, 10:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #300
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Kill cam is ass in a war game. Get some situational awareness.

Leave it in Session based shooters where the match is over in 30 minutes.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion