Planetside 2 Needs Prone - Page 21 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Better then the subway diet
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you want Prone in PS2?
Yes 152 31.21%
No 312 64.07%
Other (Explain) 23 4.72%
Voters: 487. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-04, 02:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #301
Bags
Lieutenant General

Re: Planetside 2 Needs Prone

You do realize that the zoom feature is the same thing as ADS, right? You couldn't move very fast in PS1 while zoomed in.
Old 2012-06-04, 02:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #302
GreatMazinkaise
Captain

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
You do realize that the zoom feature is the same thing as ADS, right? You couldn't move very fast in PS1 while zoomed in.
It is similar... though you wouldn't use zoom at the ranges seen in the demo footage, most likely.

Either way, I don't plan on using ADS; Engie shotties and SMGs shouldn't require it at all.
Old 2012-06-04, 02:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #303
Winfernal
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by GreatMazinkaise View Post
You've got ADS, Classes, Unlocks, Squad Spawn, Capture Points, Sprint, no intercontinental metagame, etc; what more do you want to "change" or "improve"?

That's where that refutation falls flat... everything is already changing far more than any of the glory days players are comfortable with; trading the old gunplay for "stand still and shoot at stationary targets" (prone/ADS) is just cruel.
The only reason for me to actually want prone, is for the immersion. Squads sneaking up in the fields behind enemy lines, etc.

But i guess the cons outweight the pros in this case. PS is more about large-scale wars, that are rather fast paced, instead of "realistic warfare".

I'm still waving from the fence here
Old 2012-06-04, 04:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #304
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
What? I'm pretty certain that you could move at the same speed unzoomed as you could zoomed in. Maybe it just looked like you were moving slower because you were like....zoomed in more? I don't know, I never tested it, but it never felt like I was moving slower while zoomed in.

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON
Old 2012-06-04, 04:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #305
Coreldan
Colonel

Lots of really bad arguments here

I mostly come from milsim'ish games, so prone is quite baseline for the games I usually play, but I dunno. Somehow I feel PS2 doesn't really need prone. I can't really point out why. I don't think it would be a bad addition either, but as someone mentioned, some areas might need to get redesigned.

@OP, like someone already said, you really have to reconsider something when you sig is several times bigger than your average message

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube

Last edited by Goku; 2012-06-04 at 08:04 AM.
Old 2012-06-04, 08:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #306
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Everyone please keep the religious stuff out of this thread and anywhere but the Political Debate forum.
Old 2012-06-04, 08:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #307
Bruttal
Sergeant Major

I dont care either way, but this topic has come up ALOT till higby gave us his two cents on it (think it was higby)
Old 2012-06-04, 08:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #308
Masahiko
Private

Prone is a fiddly ability, Its some thing that makes it into alot of FPS and something that really becomes abused imo. Where people go from standing to dropped and shooting without ever interrupting the stream of bullets. There are numerous games out there but i think that keeping it away from PS2 will be just fine. Its something that has never been in CS, though that is a much faster and smaller game. The majority of the time i dont see it used for what it should be used for and instead becomes a twitch ability that will slightly increase your K/D.
Old 2012-06-04, 08:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #309
The Kush
Captain

lol at the sadness of this topic, now people are using religion in an argument about prone in a video game
Old 2012-06-04, 08:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #310
Eyeklops
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Masahiko View Post
Where people go from standing to dropped and shooting without ever interrupting the stream of bullets.
This is dependent upon mechanics. They could easily fuck the COF during prone/standing transitions. Then nobody will be shooting while dolphin diving.
Old 2012-06-04, 09:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #311
Masahiko
Private

Originally Posted by Eyeklops View Post
This is dependent upon mechanics. They could easily fuck the COF during prone/standing transitions. Then nobody will be shooting while dolphin diving.

More often than not you can put more into a game than you probably should.

Should HA be able to go prone? Well the TR wouldn't because of the weapons they get since it is not meant to shot that way. Would light assault be able to go prone and hit the jump jets shooting forward? How much balance would it need to feel like you cant "dolphin dive" your way to victory? On the other hand where does it feel like its not a waste to become prone should we add in these delays?
Old 2012-06-04, 09:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #312
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

This is one area where I like that Planetside is somewhat "arcade-y".

Prone is simply unnecessary, and not really fun.
Old 2012-06-04, 09:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #313
MacXXcaM
Contributor
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Masahiko View Post
Its something that has never been in CS, though that is a much faster and smaller game.
Because CS has never evolved... Plus it was never designed to have open battles.
Old 2012-06-04, 09:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #314
Alduron
Sergeant

This is a divide for me.

On one hand, I would love to see prone in. I think it would make a great tactical addition.

On the other hand, It's abused pretty hard in a lot of other games. hiding your body in a wall, etc.

PS1 did a fantastic job without it. I dont believe I ever needed the ability to lay down in battles. Most of the PS1 battles moved back and forth pretty regularly, so I was never in one spot for all that long anyway.
Old 2012-06-04, 11:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #315
Crator
Major General

^^^ Agreed, it would be nice to have but if you can't implement the feature without it being exploited or misused, then just don't do it. That would go for any feature though, not just prone. I don't think we need to point that out to the devs though...
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion