Clans invited to play beta early! [Unconstructive whining will be deleted] - Page 21 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: We can, we have, we will.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-13, 06:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #301
PsychoXR-20
Staff Sergeant

Re: Clans invited to play beta early! [Unconstructive whining will be deleted]

Originally Posted by Karmic Revenge View Post
I think that if you think about it hard enough, you too will realize that YOU want those people playing PlanetSide 2.
I do want those people playing, however I DON'T want to end up playing TF2, or CoD which is what those people are going to want to try and turn the game into.
Old 2012-06-13, 06:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #302
diLLa
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by PsychoXR-20 View Post
I won't speak for others, but my biggest concern is that by bringing in people from other games, with no background in PlanetSide they will be missing key feedback on what made PlanetSide a unique experience. Bringing in a bunch of CoD fanboys, or Battlefield fanboys, then seeing the feedback that "dis gaem roks!" isn't useful at all for crafting a PlanetSide experience. bringing in people with a long history of PlanetSide, then seeing feedback like "the gameplay is way to fast, there is no ability to strategize because the battlefield changes to quickly" is far more useful.

People are going to go into this with the mindset of whatever game they come from. CoD players will want to see the game play far sped up, and will probably only care about kills, Battlefield might be right at home, whereas PlanetSide players will probably want the game slowed down and are more interested in secondary objectives like generators. And while PS players wanting the game slowed down is equivilant to CoD players wanting the game sped up, this is PlanetSide, not CoD, so their feedback should be considered more valuable.

I am obviously biased towards wanting PS2 to play and feel more like PS1, and by bringing in lots of non-PlanetSide players, they run the risk of turning the game into an MMO CoD.
You sound like an elitist douche to be honest. Believing that the development team would change their game into a massive deathmatch game because of the feedback of so called "dis gaem roks!" CoD players (which is hilariously ignorant in it's own way) is disrespectful towards the development team.
Old 2012-06-13, 06:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #303
Karmic Revenge
Corporal

I won't speak for others, but my biggest concern is that by bringing in people from other games, with no background in PlanetSide they will be missing key feedback on what made PlanetSide a unique experience.
Which is why it's a good thing that there's plenty of veteran PS1 players they're listening to as well.

Bringing in a bunch of CoD fanboys, or Battlefield fanboys, then seeing the feedback that "dis gaem roks!" isn't useful at all for crafting a PlanetSide experience. bringing in people with a long history of PlanetSide, then seeing feedback like "the gameplay is way to fast, there is no ability to strategize because the battlefield changes to quickly" is far more useful.
The statements being made could easily be reversed. PS1 fanboy drooling could overwhelm the feedback while people with less attachment to the franchise could have keener insights.

You're ascribing low intellect to people based on their previous FPS experience. That's like me saying, "all of you who didn't alpha test Quake are noobs" . . . doesn't hold water.

People are going to go into this with the mindset of whatever game they come from. CoD players will want to see the game play far sped up, and will probably only care about kills, Battlefield might be right at home, whereas PlanetSide players will probably want the game slowed down and are more interested in secondary objectives like generators. And while PS players wanting the game slowed down is equivilant to CoD players wanting the game sped up, this is PlanetSide, not CoD, so their feedback should be considered more valuable.
If you look at the TTK thread on the front page of this section of the forums I'd say that again, you're guessing at what a PS1 player would say. Quite a few of them like faster TTK.

I am obviously biased towards wanting PS2 to play and feel more like PS1, and by bringing in lots of non-PlanetSide players, they run the risk of turning the game into an MMO CoD.
I am biased towards wanting the game to be fun. If that means that some people who haven't ever played PS1 have feedback which is integrated into the final game I'm ok with that.
Old 2012-06-13, 06:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #304
Karmic Revenge
Corporal

I do want those people playing, however I DON'T want to end up playing TF2, or CoD which is what those people are going to want to try and turn the game into.
Really? Because I've played a lot of shooters, and I don't want them all to be the same.
Old 2012-06-13, 06:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #305
DirtyBird
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Nice to see Higby clarify what was happening.

There isnt really that much bitching about not being invited and in a few weeks this thread will well and truly be forgotten.

I think the PS2 team have done a good job at handling everything so far and see no reason why that wont continue.
They are very open and forthcoming with information.

Can you imagine trying to sift thru the plethora of posts for pivotal information if they just flung the doors open.
They have the likes of PSU atm anyway.

PS2 will contain a lot of information that will be used on apps and websites and that needs feedback as well.
Trust that those select few in First Platoon get it right (what ever it is they are giving feedback on) and if they dont quite hit the mark we'll all have our say soon enough.

There is more to the game than just the actual game play.
All parts of the puzzle slotting into place.

(thanks again to TRay for you know what! - dirtYbird)
Old 2012-06-13, 06:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #306
Karmic Revenge
Corporal

Originally Posted by Zar View Post
ill take the bf and tf2 people but cod kiddies can stay out i love planetside dearly and those mouth breathing 12 year old's will ruin what is imo the best game in the world >.< cod is what is wrong with fps games of late they are living off a name and even their fan boy's are starting to see it XD
CoD 1 and 2 were fantastic games. Absolutely, hands down, some of the best ever to be released in the genre. I also happen to own MW3 and find it amusing to play. I'm 37 and breathe properly.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-13, 06:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #307
Higby
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Creative Director

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
It leaves something to be desired. Like why people I consider outfit and community leaders aren't a part of it.
We're not done inviting everyone yet. It's a big list and Tony is doing it by hand, rather than using a spam bot email script, so it's not just a push button and everyone is in sort of thing.
Old 2012-06-13, 06:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #308
SKYeXile
Major General

they really need open world mmo pvp vets, they're the only ones who understand what makes open pvp function(bar a handful of devs), jamming 2000 people on a large map wont do it.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-06-13, 06:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #309
Karmic Revenge
Corporal

Originally Posted by Higby View Post
We're not done inviting everyone yet. It's a big list and Tony is doing it by hand, rather than using a spam bot email script, so it's not just a push button and everyone is in sort of thing.
Jesus Higby, how dare you have missed my outfit in the first part of that long list.

(OMG, was that sarcasm, Karmic?)
Old 2012-06-13, 06:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #310
Purple
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Dogbolta View Post
Nice to see Higby clarify what was happening.

There isnt really that much bitching about not being invited and in a few weeks this thread will well and truly be forgotten.

I think the PS2 team have done a good job at handling everything so far and see no reason why that wont continue.
They are very open and forthcoming with information.

Can you imagine trying to sift thru the plethora of posts for pivotal information if they just flung the doors open.
They have the likes of PSU atm anyway.

PS2 will contain a lot of information that will be used on apps and websites and that needs feedback as well.
Trust that those select few in First Platoon get it right (what ever it is they are giving feedback on) and if they dont quite hit the mark we'll all have our say soon enough.

There is more to the game than just the actual game play.
All parts of the puzzle slotting into place.

(thanks again to TRay for you know what! - dirtYbird)
yep, its not like they stopped reading PSU everyday, or even that they think what we say means less. isent that right devs?
Old 2012-06-13, 06:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #311
Karmic Revenge
Corporal

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
they really need open world mmo pvp vets, they're the only ones who understand what makes open pvp function(bar a handful of devs), jamming 2000 people on a large map wont do it.
I think that you need to accept that in order for the game to be a success it's not just PS1 vets who need to be involved from the get-go. If PS1 had been a massive success we would have seen a lot more development on it throughout the years.

The game's community needs to expand, and getting people who are unfamiliar with that open world feel in at an early time is nothing but a good thing for getting them exposed to it, hyped about it, and recommending it.
Old 2012-06-13, 06:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #312
Saintlycow
Sergeant Major

I guess I have to wait. Hopefully I get in after July, because I'm gone then. WOuld be a shame to have beta pass while I can't play
Old 2012-06-13, 06:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #313
Xyntech
Brigadier General

I'll certainly do my part to test the game, but I know there are people more qualified to test the game than me. I'm confident I'll get in when it's appropriate to get in.
Old 2012-06-13, 06:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #314
diLLa
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Karmic Revenge View Post
I think that you need to accept that in order for the game to be a success it's not just PS1 vets who need to be involved from the get-go. If PS1 had been a massive success we would have seen a lot more development on it throughout the years.

The game's community needs to expand, and getting people who are unfamiliar with that open world feel in at an early time is nothing but a good thing for getting them exposed to it, hyped about it, and recommending it.
This.

To be truly innovative, you need to have different groups of people, with different backgrounds to interact with eachother to come up with the best ideas.

You can't just have 1 homogenous group (PS1 Veterans), and ignore everyone else. You would miss out of a lot of good stuff.
Old 2012-06-13, 06:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #315
Khrusky
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Higby View Post
Malorn, you better be ready to eat a damn big piece of humble pie if you and all the people you listed get invited.

Drake Flight is a new EU TR Air Assault Outfit. PM me if you're interested in signing up.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion