Punkbuster? ohh no - Page 22 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Dude, wheres my ANT?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-07-20, 07:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #316
GODMOLLY
Private

Re: Punkbuster? ohh no

opps wrong thread
Old 2012-07-20, 07:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #317
GODMOLLY
Private

Re: the sad realization...

Hackers are nasty but they hardly put a dent in the success and potential enjoyment of a game.

If PS2 goes down it won't be because they used PB.
Yes, Yes it will.

Reference
http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...=39499&page=21
Old 2012-07-20, 07:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #318
Greenthy
Sergeant

Has their ever been praise for Punkbuster ?
It keeps popping up since ol' quake days and nobody liked it then either...

Not saying it's set to fail, probably just a lack of alternatives (and high trees catch high winds)
Old 2012-07-20, 07:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #319
QuantumMechanic
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

I have heard that those messages you see in the console from Punkbuster are existing bans being enforced - the blacklisted player is trying to log into the server you are on and is getting rejected.

So it's not like Punkbusters is catching droves of cheaters in the act - on your server - and removing them. I've had the same concerns before.
Old 2012-07-20, 07:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #320
AgtPanda
Private

Punkbuster might be crappy, but it's still one of the best we have currently. The problem isn't that the PB client is crappy at detecting hackers, it's that the hackers are too good for PB and other anti-hacks. What was that story one time of the new iPad or whatever being "Super duper best secure lolz" and then, even after being the most secure of its kind, it got hacked within 6 hours of its release or something ridiculous?

But yeah, don't blame the PB, blame the stupid hackers (Although I admit the PB crashes were annoying as fuck)
Old 2012-07-20, 07:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #321
NePaS
Corporal

errrrrr,you do know that Metro is hacker heaven right?and also thos msg's that pop up are GLOBAL streaming,not linked to that one server you are one btw.
Old 2012-07-20, 07:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #322
Lunarchild
First Sergeant

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Greenthy View Post
Has their ever been praise for Punkbuster ?
It keeps popping up since ol' quake days and nobody liked it then either...

Not saying it's set to fail, probably just a lack of alternatives (and high trees catch high winds)
It's probably one of the best supported anti-cheat engines out there overall. They also do frequent updates and have a good infrastructure. They are also great at supporting anti-cheat teams at the companies they supply for, and have pretty good turn-around times on hack-to-detection.

Of course none of those are public-facing things, so you'll probably not hear much about it.

P.S. The amount of damage hackers can do in an MMO-like environment is a whole lot less than they can do in say BF3 or peer-to-peer games. That is, if programmed properly. The fact there's no more pure client-side hit detection will hit hackers quite hard.

Last edited by Lunarchild; 2012-07-20 at 07:58 PM.
Old 2012-07-20, 08:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #323
Sifer2
Major

Well we have been over this already. Yes hackers are a huge threat to Planetside 2. But SOE claims they are on it. Whether they are on it well enough remains to be seen. APB was brought down by hackers or at least that was a big part of it. So we can only hope they are taking the threat very seriously.
Old 2012-07-20, 08:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #324
The Loverator
Corporal

Thumbs up Re: the sad realization...

Originally Posted by Braveliltoaster View Post
the moment you realize how many hackers are playing FPS games...
Life is hard - Planetside 2's Cock is harder.
If (i accent), "IF" the Game comes out with a nice Platform like Steam, nice Protection from Hacker's can be given.

For some Reason, it always worked with Half Life 2 - no Matter how many Player's played it. I never saw Hacker's, not even on completely moded* Multiplayer-Map's.

greetings, LV.
Old 2012-07-20, 08:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #325
Lunarchild
First Sergeant

Misc Info

Call of Duty uses Steam and VAC, but that doesn't seem to stop the cheaters in that game.

Last edited by Lunarchild; 2012-07-20 at 08:38 PM.
Old 2012-07-20, 08:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #326
The Loverator
Corporal

Thumbs up Re: Punkbuster? ohh no

I trust the Developer's of Planetside 2.

It's just that i c~aaa'n't imagine that some People take extremely much Effort in creating a MAAASTERPIECE of a Game for a bunch of Year's, only to let some little Pricks ruin it.

So. No other Choice but to believe in them and trust that they work together will all capable People here and there who know how to prevent Hacker's and how to IP-Ban them for most Time as possible.

And: I trust you all as well that you will do the same as me. Report every Person who looks or seems like it's using Hacks to you.

A~nnn'd: I fu**ed up "Aimbotters" even in Halo 1, to an Extent that they hated me, flamed me like Nutheads and to some Extent even kicked or banned me from "their" Server's, because they had Mod- and/or Admin-Option's there.

Aimbotters? Winning over me and other Player's in any Shootout? N~aaah, i guess i will fu** them up like always, if some User's of Cheat's like these will show up.
No other Choice. My Reflexes are still nicely quick and fast - and so is my Control and Feeling over my Mouse.

These Suckers shall only come and get sum' : 3

greetings, LV.

Last edited by The Loverator; 2012-07-20 at 08:40 PM.
Old 2012-07-20, 08:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #327
Raymac
Brigadier General

Nothing is unhackable. But when you see the passion with which the devs talk about this game, and the long term plans they have for it, I'm pretty confident that they will be actively policing it.

Old 2012-07-20, 08:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #328
mcww
Private

Originally Posted by Lunarchild View Post
Call of Duty uses Steam and VAC, but that doesn't seem to stop the cheaters in that game.
That's because VAC isn't meant to be an insta-kill every hacker system. It works on delayed banning, but when you get games with dedicated servers and you join a server that's actively admined, it's not so much of a problem.

Problem is, Call of Duty, decided to do away with ranked dedi's, and therefore the ability to actively admin at all.
Old 2012-07-20, 08:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #329
TAA
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Braveliltoaster View Post
and if SoE goes down the road of PB I will face palm myself so hard it will give me cancer.
The only solutions I have heard of so far from any SOE staff:
  • Punkbuster
  • Admin presence 24/7

Punkbuster is a joke. To maintain the promise of permanent admin presence they would need a minimum of 4 staff members working 42 hour weeks, multiplied by however many servers they end up running. Admins are expensive, and with 6000 players on each server (more if >3 continents) you will be lucky if they get around to your complaint within 15 minutes - if they are not on a lunch/toilet break, or just sleeping on the job.

Will one single admin per server be effective? You and I know it wont be. Best case scenario will be that they ban someone only to have them return within 5 minutes - the time it takes them to create a new SOE account and log in with a new IP address. The joys of f2p without credit card or ID verification.

At the end of the day no matter what is said hacking is a low priority for developers. Whatever action is taken is usually done as an afterthought contracted out to the lowest bidder. It is an additional cost digging into the profits of the game, and the moment profits dip that is the moment that those measures will more than likely start getting cut back.

Just wait for the murder hacks that will be out before beta is even finished. People are going to be clearing entire bases with the press of a button. Dont worry though. If a hacker is ruining your gameplay experience you at least can do something about it yourself - you can spawn on another area or continent and watch from afar as your side loses the crucial battle you were playing in earlier.
Old 2012-07-20, 08:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #330
Elude
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by GODMOLLY View Post
No, No it won't.

Mild hackers pose a small threat to the longevity of a game. The majority of the players whom are unaware of such hackers that supposedly fly under the radar have little impact in how the majority of those players enjoy their game.

Short of being completely obvious that your killer was cheating I see no reason why you should be complaining at all.

Counterstrike should be living proof of this.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion