New single person mechs designed from scratch for PS2 - Page 23 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: WWHD? -What Would Hamma Do?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Would you like a single person mech in the game? (Please read the thread before posti
I don't like single person bipedal mechs and don't want them in the game 153 75.37%
I want single person mechs, but don't like this implementation. (Explain below) 11 5.42%
I support this implementation 28 13.79%
Other Reason (Explain below) 11 5.42%
Voters: 203. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-01-22, 02:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #331
Shogun
Contributor
General

Re: New single person mechs designed from scratch for PS2

how about an AT-AT?

i would like the bacon AT-AT:
http://www.gearfuse.com/wp-content/u...on-AT-AT-1.jpg

and vs would finally get their purple pony

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!

Last edited by Shogun; 2012-01-22 at 02:38 PM.
Old 2012-01-22, 02:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #332
Grognard
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by VioletZero View Post
Wow, I didn't expect such bile for such a cool idea as having Mechs.

They must have been really poorly implemented in PS1.

That said, Mechs are awesome. Though, I do agree that the implementation will be challenging given the way that vehicles are put into the game. But I'm sure we could work this out...

My idea would be to have it be walking, weaker tanks with jumpjets for traversing mountains or other obstacles.
You are 100% correct about the bile, esp. in my case. My only defence is that I am spoiled by the better Mechwarrior games, and having read about 20 books on the BTech/MW fiction, so, BFR's for me, were a shock, in a bad way...

I think your idea might be balanced, perhaps if they were at the very top of the MAX tree, requiring a lot of sacrifice to be a Heavy-MAX pilot. Reason I say this, is to reward the MAX player, rather than supplant him/her for dedication to the skill tree, with an outdoor-only MAX (heavy variant). This variant still being subordinate in raw power to the Tanks, but fill a niche role as superior outdoor MAX.

My only concern now, would be relative to the Lighning...
Old 2012-01-22, 03:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #333
VioletZero
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by IDukeNukeml View Post
This is the biggest damn thread I've ever seen!

and some of you guys are just assholes... The man had an idea and was splashed with hate.
A lot of people were just burned by how they were implemented in Planetside 1.

And I can sympathize.

However, what a lot of people might not realize is that while it wasn't a great addition to the first planetside, it can be implemented better in the second game.
Old 2012-01-22, 03:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #334
SKYeXile
Major General

I guess im the only person who thinks this, but I loved the original un-nerfed BFR's. I seen nothing wrong with them at all. It's a Big Fucking Robot, it's suppose to beat the shit out of everything and be hard to kill, It's a Big Fucking Robot.

Besides that, I remember when everyone was SUPER stoked and couldn't WAIT to get one and play with it, then bitched and complained when they couldn't one man army it.
Besides the fact you could go 250/0 in the original BFR's in just over an hour, NOTHING WAS WRONG WITH THEM AT ALL!

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-01-22, 03:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #335
BorisBlade
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Captain1nsaneo View Post
Closer is not balanced.
meh compare it to 6 reavers you could get with teh same manpower, heck even 5 is better. A few decent AA and you roast a gunship. I get my ass handed to me by gunships alot and i still think they are fine. Plenty of weaknesses and downsides and they need 6 people to function fully, at minimum 4 if you dont mind leaving one side unused and require a DSC. Plus the xp pinata when i kill em is very nice. They cant just run away like the cowardly reavers and skeeters when i start blasting away.

If you can tell me its better to have the gal than 6 reavers or skeeters than maybe we can talk. If you dont like em shooting you then take 6 of your guys and get AA and the thing will die instantly, heck take 3 of em, get AA then get 3 reavers, the AA will kill the gal then take the other 3 and roast everything else. Manpower is part of the balancing equation. Reavers may skip this part (too much power for the manpower involved) but most everything else follows it and it works well.
Waiting for the return of the superior, real PS style teamwork oriented vehicles with drivers not gunning, and in fixed vehicle slots so we can once again have real, epic, vehicle battles where the tanks actually move in combat rather than a silly 1700's era line up and shoot.
Old 2012-01-22, 03:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #336
Shogun
Contributor
General

biffers are just the hate subject number one for ps1 fans because they are being made responsible for the downfall of the best game ever.

creating a thread about them always ends like that!
yeah the op was talking about mechs but since biffers had the shape of mechs most players alarm buttons are triggered immediately. theres nothing you can do about it now.

let´s just end this discussion for now. it´s not the right time. wait until after release and until we got a big playerbase with all the new players. then it might be possible to restart a new discussion without the immediate hatewar but maybe with fresh ideas.

Old 2012-01-22, 03:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #337
Elude
First Sergeant

The OP basically suggests a mech version of a customizable Harasser with one player slot. I would never give a player the power to harass on his own unless he's in the air where he's extremely vulnerable, it would be more deadly than a BFR or a Reaver.

If you want to add a vehicle to fit the role of harassing the enemy then it needs to be a multi passenger vehicle like the old fashion Harasser.
Old 2012-01-22, 03:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #338
VioletZero
First Lieutenant

You're absolutely right.

I think that the idea of mechs should definitely be revisited. Well, later when the forums aren't so populated by veterans who were burned by it.

I'm certain the developers learned their lesson too on what doesn't work about mechs.

Last edited by VioletZero; 2012-01-22 at 03:42 PM.
Old 2012-01-22, 03:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #339
EASyEightyEight
Sergeant Major

A lightning on legs is all I wanted back in PS1. Not nearly as destructive as a battle tank, but it would be like a heavily armored and slow moving lightning with a height advantage/disadvantage. A heavily armored outdoor-only MAX in other words.

The idea of mechs was cool for most players. The problem was the developers made them into walking, flying Mammoth tanks with shields. Who the hell asked for shields!?
Old 2012-01-22, 04:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #340
Vancha
Colonel

Hypothetically, lets say they added mechs and again it ruined the game...I'm not sure they could do anything worse. I think mechs absolutely could be added to PS2 (as I'm pretty sure I argued earlier in the thread. I'm not going back again to remind myself), but perhaps it'd be better to try and fill whatever role the mechs would fill with something other than mechs, so then at least if it ruins the game, SOE don't look quite as incompetent and people won't be quite as enraged...
Old 2012-01-22, 04:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #341
Shogun
Contributor
General

remember, if anything ruins ps2, this time they might be able to roll back and remove the gamebreaker. as long as they don´t sell this gamebreaker in the cash-shop.

last time bfr were the main selling argument for an expansion pack. no chance to roll back.

Old 2012-01-22, 07:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #342
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

One-man vehicles are not really appropriate for something like this. I think in general the fewer one-person vehicles that Planetside has the better. The vehicles they've announced as being one-person are all appropriate for their particular reasons, but I think one-person mechs would cross the line in a serious way.

As for mechs in general, the concept is fine. They're just another vehicle and the irrational vitriol PS1 players express toward the very idea of mechs is pretty silly. The fairly obvious points that need to be expressed in any implementation of mechs is a) balance and b) a defined niche. Having mechs be imbalanced is, needless to say, dumb, but also having them compete with MBTs would be pointless. Mechs need to have a niche they fulfill that MBTs do not. That is the thing that ultimately should decide whether mechs are ever added in or not.
Old 2012-01-22, 07:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #343
GuvNuh
Corporal

I could see a light walker-type vehicle. i agree that they should at least be 2 seaters though. I personally get the image of either a warhammer 40k sentinel, or a chicken-walker. either would be kinda nifty. i like the idea of a screaming little chicken-mech charging into battle with a big-ass flamethrower and oversized chainsaw. As in all things however, it would depend on implementation.
Old 2012-01-22, 07:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #344
Effective
First Lieutenant

Misc Info

I guess im the only person who thinks this, but I loved the original un-nerfed BFR's. I seen nothing wrong with them at all. It's a Big Fucking Robot, it's suppose to beat the shit out of everything and be hard to kill, It's a Big Fucking Robot.

Besides that, I remember when everyone was SUPER stoked and couldn't WAIT to get one and play with it, then bitched and complained when they couldn't one man army it.

Yeah because being able to completely invalidate the existence of entire outfits dedicated to tanks was a great idea.

Go figure it wasn't, they were poorly implemented.

My Stream - http://www.twitch.tv/effectivex
Old 2012-01-22, 07:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #345
Grognard
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

However, you still dont like them, and dont want them in PS2, right? 'Cause you voted for this option...

"I don't like single person bipedal mechs and don't want them in the game"
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion