Station Fee for Outfit Creation - Page 24 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: PCPwns you.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-29, 02:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #346
Zidane
Sergeant Major

Re: Station Fee for Outfit Creation

Originally Posted by Arovien View Post
Thank goodness some of y'all don't work for SOE.
Agreed
Old 2012-06-29, 05:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #347
XLynxX
Corporal

Originally Posted by jepaul View Post
Really. A lot of outfits run around talking about 50 member, 100 member, even 500 member. Why is $1-$2 a member to much to ask? How many are in your outfit? Multiply that by $2 and suddenly that doesn't sound like that much money any more.

I don't play golf. I game. Golf is $100 a weekend. Do that math and suddenly the numbers i just listed are a bargain. I guess either work harder in RL or fine an outfit with some resources. Nothing to do with rowen. Just where I choose to spend my money.
Please actually go out to the real world and realise how tight money is for some people. I thought you were trolling at the start, but it's worrying that you're not. It's not about working harder, that's an ignorant statement to make, and the idea of just joining an outfit with a lot of money is not an intelligent way of finding which outfit you wish to join.
Old 2012-06-29, 06:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #348
Nemeses
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Sledgecrushr View Post
My plan would include a FREE outfit and it would include,
1- basic crummy emblems
2- limited to 20 people
3- access to the outfit section of the ps2 app
4- limited outfit vox chat

The 25 dollar premium outfit would also include
5- multiple outfit vox channels
6- customized outfit logo
7- unlimited growth in membership
8- access to outfit uniforms

This seems like a good start to me

Edit@ In the interest of soe making money all outfits paid and free would have access to outfit uniforms purchasable in the cash shop.
Thats not bad think its a bit on the steep side ($25), would still prefer to see Outfits tied to a sub.

Originally Posted by jepaul View Post
I would like to see $50 to create outfits up to 50 member. $250 for 50-200. $500 for 200+. Would also like to be able to pay cash for significant outfit benefits in the $500-$1000 range. Really separate the men from the boys. I don't see why it would be a problem as I've never seen a community so vocal of how assume the scale of the game is and how excited their vast membership is. I want to support the game devs anyway I can and I'll pay for anything they offer.

If you don't then I guess I'm a bigger fan than you.

Discuss
Nope not a bigger fan certainly a bigger mug ..and thats about it

Originally Posted by Dagron View Post
Could work, if done right (too restrictive could still be generic, too open and people would find ways to draw penises).

I do see the problem with submitting personal designs, costs might be a little prohibitive for them to have a team to go through it all just to avoid BS designs.
lol could you imagine their faces when Stew emblem appeared
Old 2012-06-29, 06:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #349
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

Originally Posted by Nemeses View Post
Thats not bad think its a bit on the steep side ($25), would still prefer to see Outfits tied to a sub.:
A sub could run about 180 bucks a year.
Old 2012-06-29, 07:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #350
TheApoc
Corporal

in most free games , you cant create a guild without leader having a sub, i see no reason PS2 has to be any diff.. cost of doing bis you know.. my 2 cents..

correct me if im wrong but in eq2 you must be subbed to create one
Old 2012-06-29, 07:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #351
Stew
Major

My plan would include a FREE outfit and it would include,
2- limited to 20 people
3- access to the outfit section of the ps2 app
4- limited outfit vox chat

The 25 dollar premium outfit would also include
5- multiple outfit vox channels
7- unlimited growth in membership

This seems like a good start to me

Edit@ In the interest of soe making money all outfits paid and free would have access to outfit uniforms purchasable in the cash shop.
Agains it turn the whole thing out of cosmetics and NON core elements ! WOW i cant even beleive this its seams they dont get the games isnt made for the Zergfits Most people will be free to play players

To much limitation = players based lost = boring planetside 2 experience = lost of revenu seams no ones want to pay for a empty games

Core gameplay elements such as VOIP
Numbers of players in the outfits CAP 100

Dont have to be touch

For all the cosmetics aspect emblem logos uniforms etc.. iam all for it

But not about anything who is core elements such as acess to weapons access to outfit creation , numbers of players in a outfits limited to very low numbers , VOIP limitation all of these dont make sens , Apps as been made for everyones and for free not just for those who PAY a fee or a subs they annonced it at E3 no reason to change this and its a core elements of the game !

And anyway the VOIP chanel as to be integrated in the game so every different factions inside the empire are able to communicate with each others to work thing out !

So

Yes for outfits emblem thats cost a fee
yes for outfits special uniformes that cost a fee
yes to anything thats is cosmetic or for XP 24 hours boosters and thing like thats for those who dont play really much and still want to be able to compeate !

But No to anything thats is core and will hurt the free players based feeling and make them piss about the game limitation !

Last edited by Stew; 2012-06-29 at 07:28 AM.
Old 2012-06-29, 08:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #352
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Here's a compromise idea:

You can have a Standard Outfit with a 25 member cap, no insignia, and if no member in the outfit has been online within 30 days of the last logoff, the outfit is disbanded and the name becomes available. You must have 10 people in your squad to found the outfit.

If you want a Premium Outfit, you get whatever the current designed cap is, all the perks, and it remains active permanently. Only one person required to found a POutfit.

You can upgrade a Standard to a Premium or just start out with Premium.

Old 2012-06-29, 12:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #353
Dagron
Captain

Originally Posted by Arovien View Post
Thank goodness some of y'all don't work for SOE.
You didn't get the reason for the facepalm or for this thread at all. The facepalm was for the guy fueling the flame war, and the thread isn't about making more money for SOE just because we want to.

They are most likely going to make money out of this anyway, so we're trying to come up with a suggestion that is both profitable and doesn't scare away most of the playerbase.

A sub could run about 180 bucks a year.
Recently i realized that when people say they're ok with a sub to create an outfit (or in this case to make it premium), they mean only having to be subed when you create/upgrade the outfit. It wouldn't get disbanded or downgraded if the leader canceled his subscription.

That would effectively just cost $15 (or whatever the sub price would be) to create/upgrade your outfit and you'd get the other sub perks aswell for that one month.

Originally Posted by Stew View Post
Agains it turn the whole thing out of cosmetics and NON core elements
Just because you want something to be a core element doesn't make it so: outfit creation is but member cap isn't.
Also the VOIP part he suggested was to limit the outfit to 1 channel, not the game's whole VOIP feature, and the outfit section of the app he put into the free outfits part so you have no reason to complain about that in his suggestion.

The numbers may or may not need to be tweaked (someone already suggested a bigger member cap for freebies), but having free outfits and paying a one time fee to turn them premium is a good suggestion: it doesn't scare away the free players and it gives SOE some profit.

Cosmetics alone can't support a F2P game and that will not be the only thing they'll sell, so people need to stop freaking out and shrieking that they want all the stuff they care about to be free, otherwise SOE will just not listen to us and do whatever they want, which may or may not be something we'll like (we should trust them, but we should also be prepared to point out when something isn't sitting well with us).

Last edited by Dagron; 2012-06-29 at 01:47 PM.
Old 2012-06-29, 02:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #354
XLynxX
Corporal

Originally Posted by Baneblade View Post
Here's a compromise idea:

You can have a Standard Outfit with a 25 member cap, no insignia, and if no member in the outfit has been online within 30 days of the last logoff, the outfit is disbanded and the name becomes available. You must have 10 people in your squad to found the outfit.

If you want a Premium Outfit, you get whatever the current designed cap is, all the perks, and it remains active permanently. Only one person required to found a POutfit.

You can upgrade a Standard to a Premium or just start out with Premium.
Just because it's a compromise doesn't mean it's a good thing to follow .

25 member cap is insanely low in this size game tbh. I don't know why this is even really being considered. Yes maybe it will stop the spamming of outfits, but it wasn't a massive problem in PS1. Generally, the random outfits were ignored and the actual important ones were well known. If a name of an outfit is taken by a dead outfit, then unfortunately, that is just bad luck, you'll have to think of a new name. First come first serve is the only fair way to do it, as that dead outfit might return and wonder why their entire identity was taken.

Outfits are required for the game to run successfully, charging for such an important game promoter and mechanic is like charging people for access to bullets (or light :P). Let people create outfits for free, maybe set a 500 member limit and if you want more charge around $5 max to add another 500 slots. Outfit creation doesn't need to be the mass revenue of the game, and actually, if they did start charging heavy amounts for outfit creation it would only detriment the game rather than support it. As it would deter fringe outfits and make the game much more focused on the outfits wallet, rather than what it brings to the table.
Old 2012-06-29, 02:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #355
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by XLynxX View Post
Just because it's a compromise doesn't mean it's a good thing to follow .

25 member cap is insanely low in this size game tbh. I don't know why this is even really being considered. Yes maybe it will stop the spamming of outfits, but it wasn't a massive problem in PS1. Generally, the random outfits were ignored and the actual important ones were well known. If a name of an outfit is taken by a dead outfit, then unfortunately, that is just bad luck, you'll have to think of a new name. First come first serve is the only fair way to do it, as that dead outfit might return and wonder why their entire identity was taken.

Outfits are required for the game to run successfully, charging for such an important game promoter and mechanic is like charging people for access to bullets (or light :P). Let people create outfits for free, maybe set a 500 member limit and if you want more charge around $5 max to add another 500 slots. Outfit creation doesn't need to be the mass revenue of the game, and actually, if they did start charging heavy amounts for outfit creation it would only detriment the game rather than support it. As it would deter fringe outfits and make the game much more focused on the outfits wallet, rather than what it brings to the table.
The primary bitching is from those who think small groups of people will simply not play PS2, so if you have a posse you roll with, my compromise works. But the serious outfits that are doing some real organization still have a price gate. If it stops even one directionless zergfit from being formed, it was worth the cost.

Old 2012-06-29, 02:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #356
vVRedOctoberVv
First Lieutenant

Actually, this is a stupid idea. Even if such a thing was done... People would just go offsite and co-ordinate with Ventrilo. At the end of the day, "Outfit" is just a three letter tag on your character. Who cares? You certainly couldn't charge $15 or $20 for it.

I think the developers will come up with plenty of ways to charge people as is without people presenting ideas for them... Really... How many times do you want them to take you???
Old 2012-06-29, 03:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #357
Dagron
Captain

Originally Posted by XLynxX View Post
Let people create outfits for free, maybe set a 500 member limit and if you want more charge around $5 max to add another 500 slots. Outfit creation doesn't need to be the mass revenue of the game
Those numbers are a little exaggerated, a free 500 cap would mean only a handful of outfits would actually pay to increase it, which would make the $5 a piece mean nothing.

I agree it doesn't have to be a mass revenue for the game, but it has to make at least a little difference. People keep saying they want just cosmetics to support the game, but with roughly 1% of the players actually spending any money on the game (numbers from this video), that wouldn't be enough to keep it profitable to stay alive. That could lead to the company introducing P2W stuff, which nobody wants.

Last edited by Dagron; 2012-06-29 at 03:24 PM.
Old 2012-06-29, 03:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #358
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

Originally Posted by none View Post
Stew needs to calm the fuck down. We get it, he want's everything without having to pay a penny. Maybe SOE can pay your internet bill while you're at it. You can't even discuss, you keep bitching about "EVERYONE'S GOING TO QUIT BECAUSE I CANT PLAY WITH FRIENDS!!!" Don't be ridiculous. Even if outfits were 100% paid you can still have friends lists and make squads with you're friends. Maybe you don't know the difference between 'SQUADS' and 'OUTFITS'.

Most of us are talking about EXTRA feature for money, like access to a Emblem editor or coloured names. Stop acting like if they charge for something the game's going to fucking explode. SOE needs to make money to pay all their bills and make some profit. What we're doing here is trying to find out what would be fair and what ideas people have. All you're bringing to this is, "NO NO NO EVERYTHING SHOULD BE FREE BECAUSE I'M A CHEAP ASSHOLE!!"

Get off your soap box.

ps. You keep bringing up that shit is free in Canada, wtf you ranting about?
This thread has mostly been a good discussion. I had to quote the above because while I hate to take it to this level, Stew needs to seriously STFU. Don't go around saying what you think anyone's motivation is. The idea of paying to create an outfit has absolutely nothing to do with my outfit. I have been contacted by hundreds of members about returning. Planetside 2 is a "Free to Play" game. That does not mean you get everything for free. A monetary fee for clan creation is used in many games. It's less about control than a revenue source. For all of Stew's bitching about people leaving and ruining the game, guess what? Money HAS to be generated some way. The development team is attempting to make money off of mostly cosmetics alone. Clan fees for creation is a good way to bring in more money. It does not stop anyone from playing with their friends or even joining an outfit. If one so decides to create an outfit, a one time fee is extremely reasonable.

..and listen to this..

If enough revenue is not generated to recoup production and maintenance, SOE will be forced to create Pay to Win items to actually bring in more money.

Either way, everyone keep on the discussion about this topic, and Stew, keep your assumptions to yourself. I want Planetside 2 to succeed.

www.planetside-devildogs.com
Old 2012-06-29, 03:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #359
Flaropri
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Nemeses View Post
I know this sounds a tad hash but i am pretty sick of these 2/6 man outfits that go alongside the big ones in battle to just leech, now I know they all don't but so many do.

Those are the ones that if there is a cost involved, will not be in the game.
Why is that worse than a group of no-outfit Zerglings? (That should totally be a term to describe them.)

Actually, why is it a bad thing in the first place? It's not like they aren't contributing to the fight, and it's not like an outfit can or should have sole rights to a given operation.

Your outfit might be performing a lot of the operation, but that doesn't mean you should feel upset when others decide to join it and help out. Now, I can understand if they weren't doing anything, but from what I understand you should be able to kick them from your squads so they don't get the shared xp and they won't get anything extra from just standing there.

Here's how I view the whole issue. Higby has stated several times that anything that can actually effect game play should be something you can earn in-game. I would include Outfits in that category. Outfits, especially with various Outfit bonuses (if used), command effects/mechanics, etc. have an absolute direct effect on game-play.

Does that mean that Outfits can't grow in steps? No, that seems a reasonable way to potentially monetize. You could have purchased Outfits to save time and bypass initial limitations. However, in my view, the "full" Outfit capability should be available in game, or at the very least something that can be earned through game-play only without requiring SC.

Missed this earlier:
I always hated how WoW did there guilds. It was almost as easy to make a guild as it was to make a group. Thing is guilds are long lasting and getting stuck in a small dead guild isnt any fun at all.
I don't understand this complaint. You can just leave the guild and search for another one. It's not like you really get stuck. On the other hand, if there was a real-money fee, you might feel like you got stuck/wasted money when an Outfit dies out for whatever reason.

This is why I think paying maybe twenty bucks would help insure at least in a small way that the person creating this guild isnt just doing it for shits and giggles. And really paying twenty bucks to be the leader of an online war machine in the hottest game around seems to be a pretty small price to pay.
I think creating Outfits for "shits and giggles" is the way to go. You want to join a "serious" outfit, you can, or even make one, and with little to no cost to yourself and choose who you recruit based on their being active/loyal to the Outfit etc.

$20 is way too expensive. Plus, there is very much no guarantee that you'll even get anyone to join, let alone stay, let alone be good/active enough to fulfill your vision of "war machine."

Last edited by Flaropri; 2012-06-29 at 03:31 PM.
Old 2012-06-29, 03:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #360
Neurotoxin
First Lieutenant

They can just put in subscriptions if they want. Without a subscription you can't be in an outfit, your respawn timer is an extra minute or two, earn resources at 1/2 the rate and only for play online (not offline too), and / or GMs look into to reports against you first but address reports you make last.

Monetizing service and basic gameplay probably won't happen. Outfit creation is free, getting the shared aesthetic items or uniforms for each different rank is what will cost an outfit. Maybe outfit upgrades require Outfit Points AND Station Cash? That runs the risk of being declared "buying power," though the bite of it is lessened by being a group purchase instead of an individual purchase.

This IS just a discussion, right? :P
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion