Physics, Ground Vehicles, and Mowing - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Let your mouse do the walking
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-07-13, 02:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
ZeroOneZero
Corporal

Re: Physics, Ground Vehicles, and Mowing

Originally Posted by 2coolforu View Post
TBH Tanks don't like trees, also rocks are pretty bad for your tracks.
What? All of a sudden tanks have feelings? PS tanks should be able to demolish anything in their paths. Unless the driver is a tree hugger, then it would be understandable.

If were not able to crush things, then at least let us blow them to smithereens and make them easier for tanks to go through them.
Old 2011-07-13, 03:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Forsaken One
First Sergeant

I support such things for ALL vehicles

A buggy or even ATV should kill a infantry if it runs over them. basically BF did this right. stuff can blow up other stuff by ramming it, more mass should destroy less mass taking in the speed and velocity while also taking in where its happening.

like a Buggy should be able to damage or destroy a ATV by ramming it and come out alive if at full health....
But if a ATV came full speed over a hill and slammed into a buggy from above both should be destroyed.

Then again If a gal could ram a BFR I highly doubt there would have been as much fuss over them.
Old 2011-07-13, 04:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
BorisBlade
First Lieutenant

So i know there's a geneva convention against using anti-tank weapons as anti-personel devices. Isnt there one against usin a tank to just mow people over too?

And yeah tanks should move better physics wise.

As far as mowin people over, the prob in ps was they worked better as mowing weapons than just lettin your gunner shoot em, atleast with a magrider. Plus they were too fast (til the initial speed nerfs) and infantry were too slow. In PS2 infantry all have sprint and there should be more cover so its not as big of a deal to get out of the way. Now this depends on if tanks remain slow, aka no faster than they currently are in ps1 if not a tiny bit slower.

Any faster and esp with the magrider, its much better to just mow people over which is bad. Esp with the strafing of the mag. While harder to hit infantry who move from the van/prowler, the mag can float around enough to chase most anyone down who cant get behind some rocks or trees.

Dont slow the tanks down when they hit a little soldier but dont always instagib the infantry either, good damage plus a bump out of the way unless its a dead on hit with the tank at full speed (then definately squish the snot out of em). The slower impacts like you see in courtyards etc should not just smear you under the treads.
Old 2011-07-13, 11:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
nathanebht
Sergeant

They are heavily using PhysX. Flying will require much more skill. Different air vehicles will handle much differently. Air and ground vehicle driving will have a much better feel.

So I'd think that damage from collisions between stuff on the ground would depend on impact speed and masses involved. No odd mowing crud like in PS1.
Old 2011-07-14, 12:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

Mowing just fits in a game like Planetside. It works well and is another tactical element to include. I wouldn't mind seeing some kind of light vehicle designd just for that purpose.
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none
Old 2011-07-14, 02:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
Grimster
First Lieutenant

I fully support all points in the OP. I hope some developer reads it and takes notes.

Also on this topic as I am also a avid Vanguard driver I hope that we will still have VRs despite that the sanctuaries are gone. I know that I probably will be aiming to be a Vanguard driver/gunner and the first thing I want to do ingame is to get into a VR and learn how the Vanguard behaves in the sequel to make me a better driver and know the capabilities and limitations of the vehicle.
NEED UPDATES!
Old 2011-07-14, 08:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
Aractain
Major

One question, can I attach anti-tank landmines to my Rexo????

If so, I fully support collision damage!
Old 2011-07-14, 08:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

The way I see it, tanks mowing you means you fucked up. I miss my Vanguard running up and over buggies, making them asplode.

Old 2011-07-14, 12:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
kaffis
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
You have a strange definition of works.
He's a Vanu player, and defending the hit detection. This shouldn't surprise you. Hit detection works fine for anybody in the driver's seat of a thresher or magmower.
Old 2011-07-14, 12:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
Volw
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by kaffis View Post
He's a Vanu player, and defending the hit detection. This shouldn't surprise you. Hit detection works fine for anybody in the driver's seat of a thresher or magmower.
Hah, about 2-3 weeks after planetside release, I've stolen Magmower (back when it was still possible to do it when the gunner was inside) and proceed to drive around the base in circles, mowing everyone in sight.

The amount of hate tells and Vanu planers claiming I'm cheating was astronomical
All that matters is that there is enough freedom, and enough fuckers to kill, in the game that Renegade Legion can do our thing. If there is that, then the rest of the game shall be bent to our will, just like the first one was. - Hovis [RL] on PS2

Renegade Legion
http://forums.renegade-legion.org
Old 2011-07-14, 01:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
kaffis
Contributor
Major

On a more on topic note and a little less snidely sarcastic:

I'd hope that with the physics engine, we'll get good physics. Clip somebody on the very edge of your vehicle, running at an oblique angle? Moderately heavy damage and a knockback. Full-bore into the middle of your bumper? Dead, depending on the vehicle. Hover-vehicles? The mechanics of the hover tech creates a "wash" of turbulence that throws light objects (like people) back an impressive distance, but largely insulates them from the impact of the tank itself.

Oh, and as a counter to higher speed = higher damage in all cases, course adjustments at high speed are more sluggish.

There. A solution that respects the lethality of tonnes of mass bearing down on you and maintains the role of tank as a line-breaker; while still ensuring that you're better off waiting a few seconds for a gunner to hop in to garner assists for you than haring off full speed, intent on vehicular manslaughter as your exclusive means of contributing to the war effort.
Old 2011-07-14, 06:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
Kietharr
Private

I agree that tanks should basically have free mowing reign, but lighter vehicles shouldn't be able to mow people, they should crash into them. An ATV running into a person at 90kmph will probably kill them, but it will probably also severely injure or kill the driver.

Same, to a lesser extent, should apply to buggies, AMS, ANT, and other light vehicles. Damage shouldn't only go to the one being hit unless you're in an armored vehicle designed to crash through stuff.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-07-14, 06:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Originally Posted by BorisBlade View Post
So i know there's a geneva convention against using anti-tank weapons as anti-personel devices. Isnt there one against usin a tank to just mow people over too?
I'm going to put on my NC zealot hat for a moment...

Freedom by any means necessary.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion