Higby Tweets new Loadout Screen WIP - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Home if the Insomniac
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-02-08, 04:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
Sirisian
Colonel

Re: Higby Tweets new Loadout Screen WIP

Originally Posted by Canaris View Post
ummm could we possible get a shot that's taken from the front so it's a bit more clear? tilting my screen isn't working
Nah it's just low quality. I made a post on reddit and in my mock-up suggestion made this image trying to correct for the distortion:

It's not much better quality. My suggestion was to go for minimal clicks. It's been mentioned a few times on reddit that changing loadouts and other small options like camos takes too many clicks or requires one to navigate to separate attachment pages. I took a human computer interaction course and one of the first things we learned was distance is very important along with the number of clicks or key presses to perform an action.

Ideally they could remove the whole attachment menu system and just let us click on the actual gun and select items from a gallery that pops up. My suggestion was just a simple fix to remove the attachment screen forcing people to go to it then navigate back. Both clicking on the weapon part and clicking the icon with a gallery would be two short distance clicks. That and being able to see the stats change when hovering over weapon attachments and seeing the effects numerically is important. (Showing a +5 or -5 I mean next to the values with a green or red color).

That said I love numbers. The new interface is really going in the right direction.

In their photoshop mock-up they are showing:
Type
Damage
Ammo
Reload
Hip Fire COF
Ironsight COF
Zoom
Scope #
Recoil
Range
Fire Modes
Accuracy
Fire Modes02 (for the grenade launcher I'd imagine)

Coming from a programming background there's probably more variables. I kind of wish they'd find a way to graph and show them all. I know a lot of people are into bullet spread patterns at different ranges. Having an image for that with a scale that's generated automatically would probably impress people. Especially with a slider for the range so someone can go "oh so at 20 meters the pattern looks like X when aimed straight with a silencer. Being able to see bullet drop that way would be nice also. (Then again the VR training should help with that).

Last edited by Sirisian; 2013-02-08 at 04:29 AM.
Old 2013-02-08, 04:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
Merzun
Corporal

Would be nice if we get a consumable tab e.g. below the class tabs where when you click on it you get to a new screen where you can buy all consumables from instead of heaving to go through each class to buy them.
Old 2013-02-08, 04:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

Looks nice will we get this on a testserver so we can make sure it works first.

Average play time of 2.0hours per day and falling. Need metagame / Continents.
Old 2013-02-08, 04:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

And here I was hoping they were adding a loadout system similar to PS1...Silly me

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON
Old 2013-02-08, 05:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
Thunderhawk
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Mastachief View Post
Looks nice will we get this on a testserver so we can make sure it works first.
I see what you did there
Old 2013-02-08, 05:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
Rago
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Cool, what else.
Old 2013-02-08, 06:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

They stole everything else from BF 3, why not the UI too?

Old 2013-02-08, 06:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Thunderhawk View Post
I see what you did there
I'd hate to see the trend continue and have them introduce this and we NC not be able to attach stuff to weapons for 3 weeks as we have terrible default weapons.

Old 2013-02-08, 06:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #39
ShadetheDruid
First Lieutenant

Nice to see people following Hamma's instructions to be constructive and not plain negative with nothing added to the conversation.

On topic though, i'm curious what that row of numbers is below the class list.

Last edited by ShadetheDruid; 2013-02-08 at 06:33 AM.
Old 2013-02-08, 07:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #40
Thunderhawk
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by ShadetheDruid View Post
Nice to see people following Hamma's instructions to be constructive and not plain negative with nothing added to the conversation.

No one was being negative to the topic, a revamp of the Loadout system is fine and all, but how can you judge it and provide feedback when you can't click it and use it and see how it works.

Thats hardly us being "disruptive", but a valid request for a test server to check this and provide proper feedback before it hits teh live servers and is limited to the number of revamps it can receive by the number of releases they can do weekly, on a test server they can do things whenever they want)

Here's some critique for you from a twitter screen shot of a plasma screen:-

1. Why are they changing the order of the classes on the left ? Surely a more sensible way would be to group support classes, Assault classes and then Max.

So the order would be:-

Medic
Engineer
Infiltrator
Light Assault
Heavy Assault
MAX

Again, just my opinion.

2. Stats on the right is a good thing, rather than us going off to that google document to compare bullet velocity, TTK, and damage per shot, so I hope that's what's included. If there will be a comparison page, then green for better, red for worse highlighting the differences would be nice.

3. Certs button underneath is handy (although not a major change from the current loadout screen with he certs button underneath the weapon itself)

4. As you mentioned The numbers underneath the classes intrigues me, could be different loadout options, but then again, really ? we need 10 combinations of each class available to us ?

5. I'd like to have the ability to to link Character customizations with loadouts and Continents. SO that if I zone to Esamir, I get the Esamir customizations (white camo, etc...) I don't see that in the screen shot.

6. I like how the bottom half has the guns per class, limit it to the class you are clicked on not everything, liek in this example it seems they have MAX selected and are still displaying all the guns that have nothing to do with a MAX.

7. Keep the locked and Unlocked options there, so you get to see which guns are locked and which arent.

Not much more to add to that whilst looking at a screen shot.
Old 2013-02-08, 07:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #41
Beerbeer
Major

Their UI was one of the first things I complained about.

It's just not very user-friendly and overly complex. Too many sub menus with an almost looping hierarchy, too many superfluous buttons and just flat-out not intuitive.

Simple is better, especially since this is the first thing new people will see, encounter and interact with.
Old 2013-02-08, 07:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #42
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

I'd like 3 custom loadouts for each class for each continent and the same for vehicles.

Old 2013-02-08, 07:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #43
Boomzor
Staff Sergeant

4. As you mentioned The numbers underneath the classes intrigues me, could be different loadout options, but then again, really ? we need 10 combinations of each class available to us ?
On my main Heavy Assault, I already have 2 LMGs, 2 shotguns (Jackhammer being one) 3 rocket launchers and two different types of armour. The different combinations of those are already past 10, not that I can't trim that down to a handful of actual favourites that I use more often.

I am of the firm belief that we do need them. Maby not right away, but as more weapons gets released and bought, you sure need more favourite slots. May as well lay the ground work for that right away.

Also

Load out Hotkeys?

Last edited by Boomzor; 2013-02-08 at 07:38 AM.
Old 2013-02-08, 08:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #44
ShadetheDruid
First Lieutenant

More loadouts would be my guess too. Hopefully that means we'll get more loadouts as we level, at the same rate as the first three. I'm curious about the last button as well, since there's 1-9 and an extra. Might just be an oddly highlighted 0 key I suppose, but it's a lot less clear than the other buttons.
Old 2013-02-08, 08:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #45
Thunderhawk
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by ShadetheDruid View Post
More loadouts would be my guess too. Hopefully that means we'll get more loadouts as we level, at the same rate as the first three. I'm curious about the last button as well, since there's 1-9 and an extra. Might just be an oddly highlighted 0 key I suppose, but it's a lot less clear than the other buttons.
As someone mentioend above, I think it's just the numbers on the top row of the keyboard for Quick select at the terminal....

So you run up to terminal and hit E-3 and get that loadout without having to actually click anything else...

But this is all assuming its loadouts in the first place.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion