Kill Streaks - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Where hazing is still legal.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-07-10, 08:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
2coolforu
First Lieutenant

Re: Kill Streaks

Originally Posted by moosepoop View Post
if they do that theres no point to kill streaks at all. in fact casual people who also played cod would probably complain.
The people who want an AC-130 gunship for camping for a while are exactly the people we don't want.

Also Planetside had almost 100,000 Subscribers in total in its prime - this only dropped due to BFR's and Aftershock
Old 2011-07-10, 08:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Bags
Lieutenant General

good if you wanna play with 150 people on the entire server in 3 years.
>Implying the part of the call of duty community that would quit over killstreaks is the only part of the FPS community.
Old 2011-07-10, 08:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
moosepoop
Captain

Originally Posted by 2coolforu View Post
The people who want an AC-130 gunship for camping for a while are exactly the people we don't want.
even people who dont care about kilstreak will notice, if the game says it has kill streaks and turns out to be a "good job!" pop up.

kill streak came from cod. the overpowered nuke everyone on map mentality comes to mind just by the word killstreak. either make it satisfying or dont include it at all.
Old 2011-07-10, 08:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Bags
Lieutenant General

even people who dont care about kilstreak will notice, if the game says it has kill streaks and turns out to be a "good job!" pop up.

kill streak came from cod. the overpowered nuke everyone on map mentality comes to mind just by the word killstreak. either make it satisfying or dont include it at all.
I find being told I did a good job and being rewarded bonus xp to be quite satisfying.

We're not all twelve year olds.
Old 2011-07-10, 08:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
2coolforu
First Lieutenant

If someone won't buy a game because of something as small and stupid as lacking a tactical nuke for getting 25 kills then they aren't going to stick around for long because they probably have the attention span of a 2 year old that's drank 5 litres of coffee.
Old 2011-07-10, 08:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
moosepoop
Captain

kill streak came from call of duty. the word kill streak elicits images of the 25 nuke and rediculous gunship rampages. if planetside uses that word its going to attract those kind of people. and those people are gonna be disappointed and it will lead to massive population loss.

give something tangible and solid or dont include killstreak at all.

Last edited by moosepoop; 2011-07-10 at 08:54 PM.
Old 2011-07-10, 08:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
2coolforu
First Lieutenant

kill streak came from call of duty. the word kill streak elicits images of the 25 nuke and rediculous gunship rampages. if planetside uses that word its going to attract those kind of people
We don't want that kind of game, this game is called Planetside. If we make it Call of Duty just to attract players Then I may as well buy and play fucking Call Of Duty Comprende?
Old 2011-07-10, 08:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Coyote
Private

I'd like to see Killstreaks in a form of the "Bounty" that Infantry Online (another SOE game. To be considered by myself an MMOFPS, even though it has an Isometric view.) whereas the better you do, the higher your 'bounty', the higher your bounty, the more xp you get from your kills. If you got killed, the person that killed you got your bounty, it is a simple enough system. If you didn't kill someone in a certain amount of time, your bounty expired.

Now since this is an FPS, I don't think it could just be ported from Infantry Online, instead I think it should be looked at as something that goes on in the backround. Maybe a number on your information window when you bring it up to see how you are doing. As you get more and more kills without deaths, you start getting more XP then you would normally. Obviously it could be Meta-gamed, obviously it could be abused, but the XP gain increase shouldn't be an immense thing, like, 2% more exp, or 5% more exp per kill/assist/whatever.

It would at least reward you for not being an idiot and charging in to get 1 kill for 1 life.

It shouldn't reward people that sit around doing nothing though. As in Infantry you'd loose your bounty for going AFK, so it should at least be an active thing to reward decent/lucky active players. It should not be something to depend on to level.

Last edited by Coyote; 2011-07-10 at 08:57 PM.
Old 2011-07-10, 08:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
Bags
Lieutenant General

If kill streaks come from Call of Duty then what the fuck are quake and UT?

We don't want that kind of game, this game is called Planetside. If we make it Call of Duty just to attract players Then I may as well buy and play fucking Call Of Duty Comprende?
And this.
Old 2011-07-10, 08:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
moosepoop
Captain

including the term "killstreak" in the game IS going to attract those kind of players, whether you like it or not. so either give a cool and fun killstreak or dont include it. dont be half assed and limp and try to atttract cod fans, then disappoint them.
Old 2011-07-10, 08:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

No, no it didn't, not unless you've only played one FPS in the last 5 years.
BC2 has reward for kill streaks as does TF2 for some cases, Unreal has had it, without rewards (though, really, M-m-m-MULTI-KILL is it's own reward), forever.
Wolfenstien Enemy territory servers occasionally had both crazy and mundane kill streak rewards. Also counter strike and day of defeat, to name only game's I've played where it's been acknowledged somehow and I remember it.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2011-07-10, 08:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
Bags
Lieutenant General

including the term "killstreak" in the game IS going to attract those kind of players, whether you like it or not. so either give a cool and fun killstreak or dont include it. dont be half assed and limp and try to atttract cod fans, then disappoint them.
You can't be serious that people buy COD solely for killstreaks?
Old 2011-07-10, 09:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by Rbstr View Post
BC2 has reward for kill streaks as does TF2 for some cases, Unreal has had it, without rewards (though, really, M-m-m-MULTI-KILL is it's own reward), forever.
Wolfenstien Enemy territory servers occasionally had both crazy and mundane kill streak rewards. Also counter strike and day of defeat, to name only game's I've played where it's been acknowledged somehow and I remember it.
UNSTOPABLE!
Old 2011-07-10, 09:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
moosepoop
Captain

Originally Posted by Rbstr View Post
people are going to think about modern warfare 2 when they hear killstreak because that game sold millions of copies around the world. not some obscure ancient dinosaurs from before gaming went mainstream.

Last edited by moosepoop; 2011-07-10 at 09:02 PM.
Old 2011-07-10, 09:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
Bags
Lieutenant General

people are going to think about modern warfare 2 when they hear killstreak because that game sold millions of copies.
when I hear call of duty the first thing that comes to my mind is not kill streak, and vice versa.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion