Does a Magrider actually shoot? - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Where's everyone going?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-06-25, 05:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
tmartinez72
Sergeant

Actually, being VS, I get run over by Vanguards. Their hit-box is actually LARGER than the magriders. I've NEVER been killed by a Vanguard cannon. Most of them can't calculate the arc of a moving infantry. Instead, I get run over by vanguards all the time. Yes, even behind the tree, rock, wall, tower, etc.

I even went as far as view myself in 3rd person. Vanguard didn't even come close, and I died.
Old 2003-06-25, 06:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Bottleneck
Private

Magriders move FAST are really maneuverable and the only tank where one person can drive AND shoot. There "crush box" seems to be much larger than the actual graphic. That said I friggin love when guys drive these things through the middle of a big battle, as my AV missles rarely miss them and they tend to blow up alot of buddies around them when they go down, racking up tons of xp for me That and most mag drivers arent around long, as there grief points get them murdered by sony hitmen.
"My opinion supersedes all other opinions, I have wasted WAY more of my life playing a fucking video game than any of you losers so bow to me! I have to go now my mom wants me to take out the trash" -Board Troll Manifesto
Old 2003-06-25, 09:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Zentenk VA
Corporal

I didnt feel like reading it all but... I remember in beta the magrider i dont think ran people over and then sony put in colision detection and they probably screwed up and dont wanna talk about it. When im in the vanguard i have to be going TOP SPEEEEEEED to run someone over!! I swear! I see people in magrider goin slow as dirt turn and bump im dead. It accelerates tooo quick strafing. And i have moved along walls and it drive by not even knowing im there and it runs me over.
Old 2003-06-26, 03:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
Knuckles
Staff Sergeant

My lil' Magrider experience

My main character, a grunt, had just hit BR18 and I was thinking of starting up a new one, which should only have heavy attack vehicle certs.

Now just prior to me logging off, I defended a base against TR. I had these four guys flanked and rushed in with my sweeper on let-it-rip mode. I took those 4 guys out in fast succession (I do mean fast - every shot hit dead on) and I didn't get one scratch on me. (I of course boasted about it in squad chat and got a few sarcastic remarks in return.)

Well I logged off, created the new character, did the VR tour and bought the Magrider and Engineer cert. Sent a tell to my previous squad, HARTed in, got the Mag out and running. My squad was now spread out on at least 3 or 4 locations and I couldn't get a gunner 'to save my life'. V-N-G! "Come on guys - I need a gunner!" ... "No-one wants to gun for me?" etc etc

So I went out by myself to see how good my squashing skills were... And they were good. The TRs really pushed for this base. They came in droves across the landscape and I met them - head on! I used every tree, every valley, every hill I could to avoid the Striker target locks. Did it work? Well.. so so. Some runs ended up with me being road kill before I even got close enough (yes - the striker really is that good) other with me leaving litte red trails of backpacks behind me. (And on every occasion that I stopped/hid to repair, I asked anew for a gunner - never got one.)

The thing was that I started to get tells from the TR players. Tells I've never gotten before:

"You think You are SO skilled, don't You?"

"Woah... What was that? "

and so on... (The last one actually got the reply "That, my friend, was the brand new Ford Cortina " which got me a "LOLOL" in return.)

My question is - why did I get tells as a Magrider and not on that first occasion, when I absolutely owned those 4 guys, playing my grunt?

I'm not sure, myself. I think it has to do with the Magrider being perceived as a cheap or easy kill... Which it might be... or might not be. I've been squashed many a time by both Prowlers and Vanguards, and I've just gritted my teeth, hoping for revenge with my Lancer... but I've never sent any angry tells to the driver.

(I think the Vanguard is a formidable tank though. A good gunner on that 150mm canon makes it absolutely devastating.)

Ok. I'm done.
Sorry for the rant.
Old 2003-06-26, 07:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
VegaBond
Private

Only thing I see when magriders come is usually people being ran over, everyone I know usually gets ran over by those magriders...
Old 2003-06-26, 09:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
CosmicBlend
Private

My outfit likes to setup traps for the lawnmowers from time to time. We set out a boomer and some mines.. get someone to lure the mower in close to use.. make him hit the mines, blow the boomer, then someone with a decimator or a phoniex goes to work on him.. we can quickly take down a magrider no prob.. but when i am alone and i see one, i quickly take cover and hope he doesnt try to mow me over.
Old 2003-06-26, 09:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
Caesar
Private

I ran over a NC max and 3 Reinforced NC people who dropped in a galaxy a few days ago with my thresher. It was funny I stopped an entire assult from gaining momentium.
Old 2003-06-26, 11:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
Happy lil Elf
Contributor
Colonel

The Magrider does not have a huge hitbox. Lemme go through this again. If you are lagging and they see you as being run over, you get run over. If they are lagging and see you as getting run over, you get run over. Doesn't matter what you see, it matters what the driver sees. 'Tis how the game works. The reason you got run over by that magrider on the other side of that tree is because they saw you as on the other side of that tree. So if you lag like hell, get a vehicle. Might as well use your lag to you advantage

Its eating it's food. (Incorrect use of apostrophes specifically for UV)
"Oni wont get banned, unless you get banned. Its a 2 man ticket."-Hamma to TekDragon re: his request to ban Oni. Life is good.
Old 2003-06-26, 11:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #39
Bottleneck
Private

My question is - why did I get tells as a Magrider and not on that first occasion, when I absolutely owned those 4 guys, playing my grunt?
Thats because if you own 4 guys at once that shows alot of skill, even with superoneshotkillshotgunoffuckingdeath living long enough to kill all four shows you can strafe shoot better than they can Using the lawnmower is so simple its kinda irritating, specially after youve crept, killed, and snuck your way up to an area only to be squished when your not looking hehehe Its kinda like when your at the arcade and pwn your buddies at streetfighter and the 10 year old walks up and kicks your ass.
"My opinion supersedes all other opinions, I have wasted WAY more of my life playing a fucking video game than any of you losers so bow to me! I have to go now my mom wants me to take out the trash" -Board Troll Manifesto
Old 2003-06-26, 12:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
Jarlo
Second Lieutenant

THANK YOU LIL ELF!!!

I was hoping someone would actually come and post a few facts on this thread. Trust me, the hitbox on the magrider is normal it is the netcode that is screwed up. You can run all around a stationary magrider and not hit this mythical box. The netcode issue is the same for all vehicles but is exaggerated with magrider due to its lateral movement.

And please drive one before posting here. It does not move the same speed in all direections, it is not fast (70kph). It moves laterally at 10-15 kph, but can move diagnoally forward at about 75kph. The driver gun is VERY hard to aim and does pathetic damage vs infantry-- good for helping turret take down stationary targets or getting poeple wedged in bunkers or rocks.

They do make the VS tough mainly due to the number of magriders. I mean how often do you see 10+ vanguards rolling? think of how much carnage that would be...
Old 2003-06-26, 12:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Slab
Corporal

Actually, the Magrider moves about half it's top speed when strafing which would be about 40-45. Tested it right before I came on here.

Thing is, it if IS the netcode as someone pointed out, why is it that it never happens with enemy prowlers and vanguards? Only with magriders.

Do magriders generate some magical aura of lag whenever it passes thus enabling it to abuse the netcode of PS?

I never fear any tank other then a Magrider.

Though, I'm not a fan of people whining about stupid things so if I see someone else doing it and it works, I'll do the same.

Got my Vanu to BR14 just with 3 little certs, without grouping, and just running people over. Actually, 8 certs.

Hacking, advanced hacking, and mag rider.

*squish*
"Priority is never to kill. Priority #1 is to annoy, annoy, annoy."
Old 2003-06-26, 01:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
Cease
First Sergeant

I've been squashed many a time by both Prowlers and Vanguards, and I've just gritted my teeth, hoping for revenge with my Lancer... but I've never sent any angry tells to the driver.

All drivers of all vehicles will run over people when given a chance. But from my experience the Magrider is soley used for this purpose. Whereas with the Prowler/Vanguards, running over people is generally secondary.

So the reason you got the tell for killing them in the Magrider is because you just did what every other Magrider driver does. And you know what? If one of those people go checking your stats out on planetside they'll just say now "Wow a BR18 who got all their kills with a Magmower." Or something like that. While your 4 kill with the shotty earns you respect, your kills with running over people with a Magrider will lose respect.

Magriders rarely use their cannons. I've been blown to hell by a Vanguard and Prowler cannon. But never by a Magrider. And I look for it because when I actually see one using thier cannons I announce it to my outfit over teamspeak.

"Huzzah! A Vanu who actually knows Magriders have guns!"

Magriders are easy targets for other attack vehicles though. They never bother shooting back. We just shoot at them while they frantically try to run over as many grunts as they can before we blow them up. Maybe their cannons are weak. I really wouldnt know as I haven't been hit by them enough to judge.
Old 2003-06-26, 01:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
Happy lil Elf
Contributor
Colonel

I've only seen more than 4 vanguards at the same time once. I think it was 11 of them although admittidly I may have counted one or two twice (you try counting vanguards when they're driving around like maniacs). The Vanu all took off for a more important engagement, somwhere on another continent it seemed like

Its eating it's food. (Incorrect use of apostrophes specifically for UV)
"Oni wont get banned, unless you get banned. Its a 2 man ticket."-Hamma to TekDragon re: his request to ban Oni. Life is good.
Old 2003-06-26, 01:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
Pilgrim
Contributor
First Lieutenant

11 vans... that could have been us 1st ACR

So when I'm in MAX pants, or just support grunting I hate MAgs... we were trying to fight accross a bridge, and 2 mags were just sweaping it off (and neither had gunners)

Now I have a TON of Van experience, I can tell you that you hit a MAX with a van you're gonna bounce up on him, and slow down, and eventually kill them, the MAG doesn't even slow down!

Now don't get me wrong, I love dozens of magriders... We show up with 2 vans, and can destroy them all, simply because they rarely have their AV manned. When they do the dirrect fire makes it a good fight, (but I've gotten about 500 kills with the 150 on a van... unlike many I can compensate for the arc) 3 hits kills damn near anything!

So to me, I would love to see just 1 thing... MAke the MAG take dammage, and I mean massive dammage for running people over, that would make it so that the tactic, while still being viable, would hopefully cost too much to use!

PAX
Old 2003-06-26, 01:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
Jarlo
Second Lieutenant

I've driven magrider and vanguard quite a bit. Magrider takes a very small amount of damage from infantry and a fair amount from max. Ive run over many max and ramped off them too, sometimes i just plow them over without slowing though.. not sure why it varies.

Same with vanguard, I have run over maxes without slowing but sometimes they make you jump.. maybe its an angle issue I dunno.

Having magrider take massive damage from infantry would just be stupid- they should bump it a little but not massive.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion