SmedBlog: Harvestable Resources - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Are we done here?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-08-11, 03:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
super pretendo
First Sergeant

Re: SmedBlog: Harvestable Resources

This is an awesome idea. It makes sabotage warfare possible, and creates dynamic places for players to come and attack and defend.

One of the best ideas I have seen yet.
Old 2012-08-11, 04:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
RoninOni
Sergeant Major

Could be nice... This would be an appropriate use of AI (who dafuq want's to manually mine??).

It would allow for raiding enemy resource lines.

If the resources had to be convoyed from the facility back to processing/storage facitilies then there'd be more random events to fight over.

COULD be nice...

Certainly vote for this over NPC armies
Old 2012-08-11, 04:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Envenom
Sergeant Major

Sounds incredibly dull and boring. Who plays FPS's to harvest??? LOL
Old 2012-08-11, 04:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Boone
Sergeant

I think it would be cool to have resources "lakes" let's say. You can spawn a gathering vehicle just like you would anything else. If let unattended it can be attacked so you would have to guard it while it gathered.

I could see Outfits and what not fighting over resource lakes. Like someone else said, make a rare resource within these lakes and I'm sure people wouldn't have an issue fighting over them.

I guess it could be easy to just harvest at like 4am or something with little risk, then again they could just cap it somehow or create random times when they are available to harvest...almost like a global message deal.
Old 2012-08-11, 04:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
RoninOni
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Envenom View Post
Sounds incredibly dull and boring. Who plays FPS's to harvest??? LOL
YOU wouldn't harvest.... NPC's would.

They'd be vulnerable to ENEMY PLAYER ATTACKS however which is how they'd add a new layer to the resource control fight.
Old 2012-08-11, 04:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Envenom
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by RoninOni View Post
YOU wouldn't harvest.... NPC's would.

They'd be vulnerable to ENEMY PLAYER ATTACKS however which is how they'd add a new layer to the resource control fight.
This I can deal with. Thanks for clarifying. That would be cool.
Old 2012-08-11, 05:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
Duskguy
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Envenom View Post
This I can deal with. Thanks for clarifying. That would be cool.
i would say make them commandable at spawn, such as go to place x. and then it goes while players defend it. which would work with my idea (check previous post above) for outfit bases, or faction bases. or hell, just to increase normal extraction rates in controlled and steal a percentage of extraction when in enemy territory.

if it is player controlled, i would say keep it out of the game.
Old 2012-08-11, 05:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Toppopia
Major

This is an awesome idea, adds more depth to the resource metagame and allows behind enemy lines spec ops which lots of people like doing. And allows outfits to do recon in enemy space to find a harvester then rally his outfit to destroy it.
Old 2012-08-11, 05:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
Froglicker
Corporal

I like the idea. Supply lines that can be interrupted and exploited would add great tactical moments to the gameplay. I also always hated the "take over a base, magically generate/transport resources" concept that was currently in.
Old 2012-08-11, 05:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
super pretendo
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Froglicker View Post
I like the idea. Supply lines that can be interrupted and exploited would add great tactical moments to the gameplay. I also always hated the "take over a base, magically generate/transport resources" concept that was currently in.
Hopefully there is NPC transportation of them too.
Old 2012-08-11, 05:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
RoninOni
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Duskguy View Post
i would say make them commandable at spawn, such as go to place x. and then it goes while players defend it. which would work with my idea (check previous post above) for outfit bases, or faction bases. or hell, just to increase normal extraction rates in controlled and steal a percentage of extraction when in enemy territory.

if it is player controlled, i would say keep it out of the game.
That could be cool... as well as boosting a territories resource gain rate.

ie; they have a real low passive generation, and you need the Harvesters in order to achieve their real generation rates. Territories well behind lines would usually run unguarded, where border territories would need much more active defense against harassment.

Bases could run on automatic, but a player could take command from a control tower to increase efficiency or to just help keep them alive through better control.

Last edited by RoninOni; 2012-08-11 at 05:37 PM.
Old 2012-08-11, 05:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

There is an idea in the idea vault getting a detailed view on this and I rated that thread 10/10. Nuff said. (Well, obviously, if harvesters are NPC)

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2012-08-11, 05:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
Harasus
Sergeant

Interesting idea. NPC or human-controlled? If they are NPC, I can see people going far into enemy territory only to spawnkill defenceless NPCs. And that would suck, because there is no action in that. If they are controlled by humans (Essentially, hop into a worker-MAX and go mining) you would probably get bored very quickly. Once again, no action.

*Shrug* Maybe.
Old 2012-08-11, 06:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
Toppopia
Major

Originally Posted by Harasus View Post
Interesting idea. NPC or human-controlled? If they are NPC, I can see people going far into enemy territory only to spawnkill defenceless NPCs. And that would suck, because there is no action in that. If they are controlled by humans (Essentially, hop into a worker-MAX and go mining) you would probably get bored very quickly. Once again, no action.

*Shrug* Maybe.
The point is that you are supposed to guard the harvesters, if they get destroyed and no one is guarding them. Its your fault if you arn't getting any more resources now.

But if they arn't AI controlled, then it would be very boring for some.
Old 2012-08-11, 06:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
Harasus
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Toppopia View Post
The point is that you are supposed to guard the harvesters, if they get destroyed and no one is guarding them. Its your fault if you arn't getting any more resources now.

But if they arn't AI controlled, then it would be very boring for some.
People will go to the frontline to fight, some will try to get behind enemy lines and cap areas. With this, some will go behind enemy lines, as far away from the fighting as possible, and start killing NPCs to get more score and hurt the enemy. They might not even bother capping because it is easier to just hit-n-run the same base over and over again. You can not expect people to guard every single base, especially when they are not even on the frontline. That would require guards 24/7 everywhere, and nobody would like it.

Heck, this could become the new way of grinding!
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion