SmedBlog: Seamless Continents/Naval Units - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Gave me brain damage =(
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-08-11, 01:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Stardouser
Colonel

Re: SmedBlog: Seamless Continents/Naval Units

Originally Posted by Sledgecrushr View Post
Umm its just my opinion but i think water navy is a dumb idea when your air power can literally fly forever. Why float at boating speeds when you can fly at jet speeds. Interesting idea for modern battlefield 4, not so good for sc fi ps2.
Why would you drive an tank on the ground? why would you drive a Skyguard on the ground? Those can't drive on the water, so for surface based AA, you need ships.

That's only a sample.
Old 2012-08-11, 01:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
Why would you drive an tank on the ground? why would you drive a Skyguard on the ground? Those can't drive on the water, so for surface based AA, you need ships.

That's only a sample.
Wtf? Why would air assets engage against naval units in the middle of the ocean? If you put a platoon on a ship and sent it out into the ocean thats a platoon that is going to be lost to you for a long while as it floats along. Navy is great for projecting force, except when there are no fuel constraints and then navy is just a waste of manpower and resources best spent on air power.
Old 2012-08-11, 01:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Notsononymous
Private

Love the sound of water between bases, and making the whole planet seamless. It'll be tough (I imagine the netcode is already tough enough for a single continent let alone 3 (or more if they're added - but as a friend of mine once said, netcode is what SOE do). Only thing is I'm not sure what good water vehicles would be if they have no objectives to fight over. Maybe have oil-rig bases and underwater bases in between the land based continents, or you could even have the three land based continents arranged around a future island based continent. Actually I think that's an amazing idea, I'm gonna flesh that out below.

Island based continent! Like the archipelago map type in Age of Empires, only with objectives in between the islands. That. Would be frickin' awesome. Then you could have little D-Day-esque landings to take over bases on islands and stuff, with amphibious tanks and troop transports. Or you could add certs to make existing vehicles amphibious (obviously the Vanu MBT is already amphibious, not sure how that would balance - maybe you have to add a cert for traversing "deep" water?). Then more certs for increasing speed over water. Amphibious Sunderers and Vanguards, excuse me while I giggle with childish joy.

Old 2012-08-11, 01:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Noctis
Staff Sergeant

Why would somebody fight for ocean?

Simply, Oil (resource) Stations.
Old 2012-08-11, 01:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

pretty much the only decent idea in his entire blog outside of outfit bases. i have more to say in this thread

Retired NC CR5, Cerberus Company.
Not currently playing PS2. Anyone with a similar name is not me. My only characters are listed in my stats profile here on PSU.
Old 2012-08-11, 01:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Sotonian
Corporal

Originally Posted by Hmr85 View Post
It would definitely add a new dynamic to the game play. Could you imagine D-Day landings as you try to get a foothold on a new cont.
With coordinated galaxy drops in the mainland at the same time, would be epic
Old 2012-08-11, 02:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
Whitetragedy
Private

I can see this happening in 8 years...
Old 2012-08-11, 02:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by Sledgecrushr View Post
Wtf? Why would air assets engage against naval units in the middle of the ocean? If you put a platoon on a ship and sent it out into the ocean thats a platoon that is going to be lost to you for a long while as it floats along. Navy is great for projecting force, except when there are no fuel constraints and then navy is just a waste of manpower and resources best spent on air power.
Why would air assets engage anything on the ground in the middle of nowhere? Why would they engage anything? Enemies have to be destroyed or they will come and capture your bases. Those ships will be coming to land on your beaches and capture your coastal hexes.

Also, I think you're overestimating the time constraints here. Do you really think the size of the ocean between two continents is going to be significantly larger than 64km square? A naval ship crossing a 10km wide body of water isn't going to take THAT long. Sure, it might take 10 minutes instead of a 2 minute flight, but they will bring things to the battle that air doesn't.
Old 2012-08-11, 02:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
SpottyGekko
Sergeant

A very big YES on this one

I was a big fan of naval combat in WWII-Online, even though it was quite limited in that game.

If the ocean hexes contain resources, they can be fought over.
If there's islands out there, they can be conquered.
If there's water, we need Navy SEALS.
If the world gets bigger, we'll have a use for EW radar stations (and jammers).
Carriers that can function as a full base with infantry,vehicle and air spawn terminals (and can be boarded, fought over and captured... or sunk).
Troop transports that can travel underwater (or cloaked) and deliver "little surprises" behind enemy lines.
LC's that can deliver 2 or 3 MBT's on a beach and deploy to act as an infantry spawn.
Jet-Ski's that can be the water-based equivalent of the Flash.

The only drawback of a very big world is that it requires a very big population, else people become too spread out. WWII-Online had a massive world map and had to rely on an artificial mechanism (only certain towns very cappable at any given moment) to keep players concentrated around a handful of fighting objectives.
Old 2012-08-11, 02:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
RSphil
Contributor
Major

navel battle was good in aces high 2. you had aircraft carriers and destroyers. though the maps are alot bigger then planetside 2. ( takes an hour to fly one side to the other in a spitfire ) while your landing craft headed to the beach head to capture the town or base air assets from the carrier would cover them and destroy key facilities to make tha capture easier.
while all this was going the destroyers where shelling gun emplacements and nailing the town and airbase. also guys would need to man the AA to defend the fleet from the enemy.

was great fun and i think it would be a good addition to planetside 2 in the future. a navy is alot handier then an air drop. a navel force can bring the entire army, vehicles and all. air drop just brings troops atm and air cover.
Old 2012-08-11, 02:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Foe
Private

I have to kinda laugh at the "we/they don't have the tech crowd" I mean if you can have a world as big as skyrim on the xbox and ps3.

But it is not do-able on the pc? Eve Online shows what is possible and has for years now.
Old 2012-08-11, 02:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
Tzitzimitl
Private

It seems like a concern is why take boats when you can just fly over with galaxies. I possible solution could be the addition of fuel to aircraft so as to limit their range.
Old 2012-08-11, 03:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by Tzitzimitl View Post
It seems like a concern is why take boats when you can just fly over with galaxies. I possible solution could be the addition of fuel to aircraft so as to limit their range.
In order to have a seamless planet, they would pretty much be forced to adopt the system of only being able to capture adjacent hexes(or beach hexes/hexes right outside of warpgates). For the current continent I was not in favor of the adjacent hex capture only mechanic, but for this it would become mandatory.

And that, in turn, answers the question of why people would take ships instead of Galaxies - since, indeed, you will only be able to attack a continent you don't have a presence on by attacking either warpgate adjacent hexes, or coastal hexes, the enemy could set up a ton of Skyguards on the coast. So in order to bust through those Skyguards, you take naval ships(which might also be able to land tanks). That will force the enemy to defend with vehicles other than just AA vehicles.
Old 2012-08-11, 03:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
Duskguy
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Notsononymous View Post
Love the sound of water between bases, and making the whole planet seamless. It'll be tough (I imagine the netcode is already tough enough for a single continent let alone 3 (or more if they're added - but as a friend of mine once said, netcode is what SOE do). Only thing is I'm not sure what good water vehicles would be if they have no objectives to fight over. Maybe have oil-rig bases and underwater bases in between the land based continents, or you could even have the three land based continents arranged around a future island based continent. Actually I think that's an amazing idea, I'm gonna flesh that out below.

Island based continent! Like the archipelago map type in Age of Empires, only with objectives in between the islands. That. Would be frickin' awesome. Then you could have little D-Day-esque landings to take over bases on islands and stuff, with amphibious tanks and troop transports. Or you could add certs to make existing vehicles amphibious (obviously the Vanu MBT is already amphibious, not sure how that would balance - maybe you have to add a cert for traversing "deep" water?). Then more certs for increasing speed over water. Amphibious Sunderers and Vanguards, excuse me while I giggle with childish joy.
http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...ad.php?t=43018
this thread covers a lot of what you just mentioned.
Old 2012-08-11, 03:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
RSphil
Contributor
Major

i lol at the people who say the navy is a wast of time. if done correctly it will have troop transports and vehicle transports. gals can not carry tanks ect atm so a navel fleet for a beach landing D-Day style would be the best way to get an entire fighting force over the water. troops alone cant fight tanks ect.

lets hope if the do get it sorted it is done correctly and not half assed or in a stupid gimmicky way.
fingers crossed soe
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion