aircraft control - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Like corn, enjoy it a second time!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-05-29, 05:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
LegioX
First Sergeant

Re: aircraft control

I'm not asking this game to be a flight sim either. If i was arguing for a flight sim you would need to go through a 3-4min checklist just to takeoff.

All I wish (which i know they will not do) is force cockpit and take out 3rd person for aircraft.
Old 2012-05-29, 05:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

I think the argument is largely based on "what I'm good with" vs. any actual objective metric. It makes me smile.

Bringing it back to the OP, I think what he's worried about is "drag, recenter, drag, recenter" in a turn fight, vs. the mouse input being positionally similar to a stick position. Which he's asking for I am unclear on.
Old 2012-05-29, 05:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by elfailo View Post
With a mouse you have a lot more fine control than with a joystick because it divides a larger surface into smaller segments. Your fingers also have a lot more control sensitivity than your arm/wrist. In PS1 and Freelancer, mice were so superior it wasn't even funny. Flying with a joystick was like playing soccer with wooden legs and 2 eyepatches.

The key questions are whether you will yaw/pitch with the mouse, and what kind of acceleration will be in place for mice. If you can't yaw with the mouse, joysticks will be better because they offer analogue control (keyboard doesn't). If you can, mice will probably be better.

Stop thinking about this game as a flight simulator. It shouldn't and won't be one.
if thats the case i plan to invest in some foot pedals for Z axis, no fucking way am i using a joystick.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-05-29, 06:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
SKYeXile
Major General

They're not "better" per se, it just depends on the game. This isn't real life by the way. The reason pilots use joysticks in jet fighters is because it allows them to keep their arm in one position, so all the turbulence and g-forces wouldn't suddenly affect the mouse and send them into an uncontrollable spin. In video games this is not an issue because you are not moving with the virtual aircraft.
I always love the real life arguments, but they use joystick in planes so they MUST! be better...

SKYeXile TRF - GM
Old 2012-05-29, 06:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
SKYeXile
Major General

I'm pretty sure they won't do it because it would be horrendously stupid, but if they will, you could probably also just use your mouse side buttons for yawing.
i plan to use them for flight elevate and lower like in PS1, A and D for that shit?...people are high.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
Old 2012-05-29, 06:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
RSphil
Contributor
Major

i have flown in alot of sims and also all the bf games. for helicopters i use mouse and keyboard. For jets i always use the x52 joystick i have. the main reason is the helo is better with the mouse. you done need as much control or do the mad maneuvers that you do in a jet.

jets need joysticks in my opinion for the maneuvers, especially so you can barrel roll. this is hard to do with a mouse.

as the aircraft in PS 2 are Vtol and can roll id be interested in how they control. they are the jets of today i cant wait to try them out. if i use the joystick i can see alot of key customization needed. Which is fine. when i played aces high i never touched the keyboard once as everything was bound to my stick and throttle controls. woukd like to see a vid from the guys about the aircraft control just out of curiosity.
Old 2012-05-29, 06:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
LegioX
First Sergeant

^^^Same.

P.S never got into Aces High, got owned way to much when i started out. Raged quit and finally found a spot in ww2ol...haha
Old 2012-05-29, 06:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

Definitely, I would love to watch the devs as they fly about in there jets. Would tell us a lot about how these things fly. Now as far as flying quite a it, we have seen tb crash like a drunk football player.
Old 2012-05-29, 06:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
LegioX
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Sledgecrushr View Post
Definitely, I would love to watch the devs as they fly about in there jets. Would tell us a lot about how these things fly. Now as far as flying quite a it, we have seen tb crash like a drunk football player.
His loveerator video was pretty bad...lol
Old 2012-05-29, 06:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
I always love the real life arguments, but they use joystick in planes so they MUST! be better...
If the flight model is even remotely physics-based, I think that's a pretty compelling argument. I don't deal death from a cockpit for a living, so that's just an opinion, but I suspect you don't either.
Old 2012-05-29, 07:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by maradine View Post
If the flight model is even remotely physics-based, I think that's a pretty compelling argument. I don't deal death from a cockpit for a living, so that's just an opinion, but I suspect you don't either.
Yea i dont, but the arguments not if a mouse is better in RL, but if a joystick is better than a mouse in gaming, and i think when it comes to gaming Elcyco and myself would be the most qualified here in discussions on flight.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
Old 2012-05-29, 07:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
Kaw
Corporal

Originally Posted by maradine View Post
I believe joysticks are used in real life because they are easier to use at high g-forces. Most civilian aircraft use yokes because they are more precise. Basically, unless you are planning to play Planetside from the backseat of your F14, the real life argument doesn't hold much water.
Old 2012-05-29, 07:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
LegioX
First Sergeant

Yea i dont, but the arguments not if a mouse is better in RL, but if a joystick is better than a mouse in gaming, and i think when it comes to gaming Elcyco and myself would be the most qualified here in discussions on flight.
only reason why.....even remotely......a mouse MIGHT be better in flying for arcade shooters is b/c physics ie: movement of plane along the Vertical/Longitudinal/ and lateral axis is not truly represented. You put even a smuggin of those force acting factors into the physics of the plane, your mouse would be useless.

Last edited by LegioX; 2012-05-29 at 07:22 PM.
Old 2012-05-29, 07:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by LegioX View Post
only reason why.....even remotely......a mouse MIGHT be better in flying for arcade shooters is b/c physics ie: movement of plane along the Vertical/Longitudinal/ and lateral axis is not truly represented. You put even a smuggin of those force acting factors into the physics of the plane, your mouse would be useless.
a mouse is just more accurate and far more responsive than a joystick will ever be.limiting movment because of physics or a turn rate is a factor for a mouse, but it wont render it useless, you just need to know those factors and up the sensitivity and play with a mouse with no Z axis issues.

SKYeXile TRF - GM

Last edited by SKYeXile; 2012-05-29 at 07:29 PM.
Old 2012-05-29, 07:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
LegioX
First Sergeant

you forget to mention that a mouse is more accurate and far more responsive than a joystick.
I understand that. But a mouse would be nowhere near accurate if you always had to compensate for g-force, wind, and other things i will not get into b/c its no point in arguing anymore on something they will not change
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion