Greetings from Mordor(EA UK BF3 forums) - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: short skirt, straight jacket.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-03-10, 07:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
PrISM
Staff Sergeant

Re: Greetings from Mordor(EA UK BF3 forums)

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
I know one thing from BF2 that would be awesome - if you could give custom names to your squads...all sorts of naughty names...Stardouser's Bonejumpers...that would be awesome.
You could do that in PS1.
Old 2012-03-10, 07:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

What competition?
Some other games are on the way and may arrive sooner than we all think. The much rumored Titan project from Blizzard being one of them.
Old 2012-03-10, 08:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by PrISM View Post
You could do that in PS1.
wow, that was instant satisfaction, assuming it makes it into PS2...

Originally Posted by sylphaen View Post
Some other games are on the way and may arrive sooner than we all think. The much rumored Titan project from Blizzard being one of them.
I thought the rumors held that that was going to be a casual MMO? I got the impression it wasn't casual as in a casual MMOFPS.
Old 2012-03-10, 08:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
SurgeonX
Staff Sergeant

...and I know they had Galaxies in PS1, what was the typical procedure? Drop off the troops a safe distance away from the target base, or fly the Galaxy right into the heavy fire to get them close?
the overall preponderance of these issues is that the pace is way faster and nothing but twitch skill, planning/tactics/strategy means less in BF3 than any previous BF before.
Ah man, if that's what you're interested in, then, fingers crossed, you are going to have an amazing time.

We are all hoping that PS2 recaptures the magic of PS.
And a lot of that magic was the sheer epic scale of everything.
The GDC videos give you an inkling into the feel of combat, and how amazing the engine looks, but they don't portray any of this

Want to browse through hundreds of PlanetSide 2 images?
Or just see what Higby eats for lunch?
Then click here

Last edited by SurgeonX; 2012-03-10 at 08:14 PM.
Old 2012-03-10, 08:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by SurgeonX View Post
Ah man, if that's what you're interested in, then, fingers crossed, you are going to have an amazing time.

We are all hoping that PS2 recaptures the magic of PS.
And a lot of that magic was the sheer epic scale of everything.
The GDC videos give you an inkling into the feel of combat, and how amazing the engine looks, but they don't portray any of this
Now that's the kind of news I'm looking to hear! I just can't believe all the years I spent sucked into Everquest.
Old 2012-03-10, 09:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Zulthus
Colonel

Now that's the kind of news I'm looking to hear! I just can't believe all the years I spent sucked into Everquest.
I still play Everquest, heh. Been addicted for too long.
Old 2012-03-10, 09:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by Zulthus View Post
I still play Everquest, heh. Been addicted for too long.
Oops...what I meant to say was that I spent so many years playing EQ I never tried Planetside...and believe me, every time I reinstalled EQ there was an ad or something in the install process for Planetside...
Old 2012-03-10, 09:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Rat
First Sergeant

there will always be places where you can spawn further from the epicenter of a major battle if you want to group up with some bros and coordinate a flanking manuever if you like...you will always be able to chose your spawn point..
lets say you have your dick in the meat grinder playing with the zerg....you get communication that there are a couple hundred people forming up and loading in galexys 2 bases back...you could spawn back there, load up in a gal and be part epic hot drop...possibly turning the tide of the battle.
My point is, there are options...you dont always need to spawn where the enemy is going to have a BFG 9000 pointed at your face.
Old 2012-03-10, 09:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
Zulthus
Colonel

Oops...what I meant to say was that I spent so many years playing EQ I never tried Planetside...and believe me, every time I reinstalled EQ there was an ad or something in the install process for Planetside...
You still play? Or did you quit? I only play it because its 60x better than WoW, RIFT, TOR, EQII, etc.
Old 2012-03-10, 09:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by Zulthus View Post
You still play? Or did you quit? I only play it because its 60x better than WoW, RIFT, TOR, EQII, etc.

No, I did quit, but I want to get back into an MMORPG. Preferably right at the moment it starts so I can be in the first raid guilds.

Thing is, I basically want an EQ clone. I tried Star Wars TOR, but just no. It was a great single player game, totally useless as an MMO.

If we are doomed to casualized MMOs for the rest of eternity I'd just re-enter EQ the next time they open a new server.
Old 2012-03-10, 09:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Zulthus
Colonel

No, I did quit, but I want to get back into an MMORPG. Preferably right at the moment it starts so I can be in the first raid guilds.

Thing is, I basically want an EQ clone. I tried Star Wars TOR, but just no. It was a great single player game, totally useless as an MMO.

If we are doomed to casualized MMOs for the rest of eternity I'd just re-enter EQ the next time they open a new server.
Really no such thing as an EQ clone imo. Every MMO has been so casualized you can just solo 1-max level. You actually need groups to achieve higher end stuff, and raids feel "massive" with 54 players. I can't get that feeling in any other MMORPG. The grind is the only boring part (but even then it's only boring once you hit 85 and up, it takes FOREVER)

Also I heard they're opening a new server on the 16th when it goes free to play.
Old 2012-03-10, 09:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
SwitchView
Private

Misc Info

Originally Posted by sylphaen View Post
Only infantry as far as I know.
I'm not so sure about that, as I believe you can equip "Air-To-Air" Missiles on air vehicles, I do not believe there are lock on "Air-To-Ground" Missiles though.
Old 2012-03-10, 10:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
fod
Master Sergeant

welcome stardouser (this is LSD from Mordor
there is tons more strategy and teamwork in planetside (in ps1 atleast) than BF3
theres a few concerns like it looks like there might be some kind of 3d spotting and killcams and a few other small things but nothing compared to the problems that BF3 had
Old 2012-03-10, 10:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
Hamma
PSU Admin

Welcome to PSU!

I'll echo what the others have said. The pure scale of PlanetSide will make you wonder why people still play round based FPS's. The persistence combined with scale make PlanetSide truely unique. It really is an experience that is hard to explain. If PlanetSide 2 can capture this it will be a massive success.

As stated many times before PlanetSide 1 was well before its time.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-03-11, 05:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #45
TerminatorUK
Master Sergeant

Welcome and great to see some interest from the CoD and BF communities.

For too long game developers have neglected the PC community with crappy console ports, lack of dedicated servers, no LAN support, no modding community etc...

Planetside 2 will finally bring a AAA title, built-for-purpose to the PC again.

It'd be excellent if they could cut in to the competitive / professional LAN arean with some private / local playing options but that isn't really neccessary.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion