Types of cover - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Why can't I play the DEV Empire...?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-05-29, 04:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
Dreamcast
Major

Re: Types of cover

Originally Posted by UKSwiFT View Post
We've seen minimal infantry combat, but even that was in a testing environment where people aren't playing competitively. From what I saw from Higby and TB playing, they were moving pretty quickly while firing. Even jetting and shooting.
I saw a bunch of standing around while shooting or minimal movement...Didn't see any fast pace combat at all...Just because you could jet and shoot don't make it fast combat.

Plz show me where this fast paced action took place.

I know they are testing but you can tell it just isn't that fast movement type game....
Old 2012-05-29, 04:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
Sabrak
Contributor
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Zenben View Post
Personally, I liked the stacks of 3 crates that you found on the walls in PS1
This.

So, both options.
Old 2012-05-29, 04:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
UKSwiFT
Corporal

Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
As mentioned above, it works OK in RO2 (the only gave I havnt absolutely hated it) but even there most of the time I opted out to use it and just went with the old school manual crouching/leaning kinda of thing, cos in some places using the cover system wouldve revealed ur head, which was quite problematic when majority of the server has pinpoint accurate bolt lock rifles

Which reminds me, I hope they would implement leaning. I can't believe that game like BF3 left it out o.o
Yeah, I always felt a lot safer manually crouching as opposed to using the cover. Especially on Fallen Fighters, where a sliver of the top of your helmet was enough from 6 million miles away.

I would also absolutely LOVE leaning. Slight tilt to the left and right with Q and E. I really got used to using this when I played ArmaII and now I have a hard time clearing corners without it.
Old 2012-05-29, 04:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
Toppopia
Major

Originally Posted by Dreamcast View Post
Fast paced?...are you kidding?...Have you seen the footage of the game

have you not seeing people standing shooting at eachother....with no movement at all.

How in the hell is that fast paced?
And comparing to other games with a proper cover system, this is quite fast, like Rainbow Six Vegas (1 and 2), and others which i can't think of at the moment, even compared to BF3 this is faster, maybe not as fast as COD, but still fast.
Old 2012-05-29, 05:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
UKSwiFT
Corporal

Originally Posted by Dreamcast View Post
I saw a bunch of standing around while shooting or minimal movement...Didn't see any fast pace combat at all...Just because you could jet and shoot don't make it fast combat.

Plz show me where this fast paced action took place.

I know they are testing but you can tell it just isn't that fast movement type game....
You can't really tell, no, because there isn't anywhere near the amount of players represented in the extremely little we've seen to judge that. The only examples of what you say, that I've seen, is a few players that have chosen to stand still whilst firing, which is reflective of their skill and not the games pace. The fact that you can move and fire, even jet and fire says the game speed allows for high pace.

Seriously, If I see a granny rolling down the street at 10mph in an F1 McLaren. It doesn't mean the car is as slow as fuck, does it?
Old 2012-05-29, 05:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
Figment
Lieutenant General

Another type of cover we've not really discussed here is obscuring vision, like foilage.

What types of cover should we expect?
Old 2012-05-29, 05:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
MacXXcaM
Contributor
First Sergeant

I absolutely love RO2's cover system and I'm wondering why there aren't more shooter games that use it... I think RO2 has a too low TTK but the cover system works out great imo.

But I can live without it in a game like PS2 since it doesn't seem to aim for too much a realistic shooter experience...
Old 2012-05-29, 05:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
Another type of cover we've not really discussed here is obscuring vision, like foilage.

What types of cover should we expect?
Game needs invisible tanks, rage is insured.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-05-29, 05:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #39
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
Game needs invisible tanks, rage is insured.
NOD stealth tanks!

Invisible TDs? Yum. ;3

Nah, a stealth camo system like in WoT is not really that nice as it doesn't allow you to use your eyes to detect an enemy at all. Just obscuring vision, rather than not rendering would be decent IMO. Hiding is after all an important element of ambushes.
Old 2012-05-29, 05:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #40
SKYeXile
Major General

yea nah, a system like that in PS2 would be sooooo wrong lol.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
Old 2012-05-29, 05:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #41
Figment
Lieutenant General

As an infil, I think of WoT TDs like what an infil with sniper rifle will be in PS2 though. Once hit, you might get a visual, but that's often going to be too little too late. At range the distortion won't be obvious and if you position well you should blurr in with the background anyway even when visible.

Got between 55 and 70% winrates on most of those light armoured invisible high damage dealing snipy ambush tanks for good reason.
Old 2012-05-29, 05:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #42
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
As an infil, I think of WoT TDs like what an infil with sniper rifle will be in PS2 though. Once hit, you might get a visual, but that's often going to be too little too late. At range the distortion won't be obvious and if you position well you should blurr in with the background anyway even when visible.

Got between 55 and 70% winrates on most of those light armoured invisible high damage dealing snipy ambush tanks for good reason.
Yes well, the avg winrate for a TD is far highter than a normal tank, also the sniper in global agenda is by far the best kill whoring class...there could just be a connection between been invisible and been overpowered.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
Old 2012-05-29, 06:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #43
Alderego
Corporal

Hmm, my 2 cents on this whole thing:

manually going into cover (aka you hold your crouch key to hide behind something): yes
Pushing a button and then being glued to something untill you push said button again doesn't feel right to me in a game with this pace. (Yeah yeah, I read your comments on how this game is slow paced in the other thread as well, based on the vids that are out there. But I could make a similar video about BF3 or CoD where you would draw the same conclusion, yet neither game is slow paced)

As for the height of the stuff we can hide behind: both would be nice. certainly if it would be coupled with materials: a wooden box just isn't going to stop a bullet/slow it down as nicely as a metal one for example.
I'm not calling for big destructible things like in battlefield though, that would make things too complicated for a persistent world. Just some materials to make it a tad bit more interesting might be nice. (after all: a small tree stopping a tank-shell while you pop out to shoot rockets at it all the time isn't right, is it? )
Old 2012-05-29, 09:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #44
Whiskey Jack
Private

My only gripe with partial cover is when you run into the old PS1 hill sniper situation. For anyone who doesn't remember, this was when snipers would set up just peeking over a hill so they could fire, but didn't have their character model exposed enough to be hit.

It just can get a little wonky when only the top of someone's head is exposed but they have a clear line of fire. But that is more of a technical issue then an issue with cover.
Old 2012-05-29, 11:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #45
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
Yes well, the avg winrate for a TD is far highter than a normal tank, also the sniper in global agenda is by far the best kill whoring class...there could just be a connection between been invisible and been overpowered.
But how could we possibly know that in advance, he asked, mildly ironic, largely sarcastic.

Agreed, I'd feel overpowered with a full shotgun or competitive smg in mêlee, let alone long range high damage high accuracy units.

Would rather see a sniper suit, if we go the class way anyway.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion