MBT Operators - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: More explosions than a Michael Bay movie.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: 3-man tanks
Yes (includes "yes, but") 53 60.92%
No (includes "no, but" and "wait for beta") 34 39.08%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-03-18, 12:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Figment
Lieutenant General

Re: MBT Operators

Originally Posted by sylphaen View Post
Yes but...

If 2nd gunner can switch between seats instantly without having to stop the vehicle, the 3rd gunner is a non-factor.

Similarly, if tanks do not have enough armor, having more manpower for faster repairs is a non-factor.
That's the issue I have with driver assigning weaponry.
Old 2012-03-18, 01:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Warhound
Corporal

Originally Posted by Atheosim View Post
Well I'm referring specifically to the driver. I agree that a 2 man configuration requires teamwork and coordination. I'm just saying that somebody who would prefer to pull a tank and solo with it might be more inclined to fill it up with 2 other people if there are tangible benefits.

Or am I not getting your point here?

edit: And I mean tangible benefits aside from having an extra gun. Like the extra gun being more powerful for instance.
No your getting my point entirely.

I just think that the only tangible benefit should be better mobility. Nothing should distinguish them when it comes to firepower.
Old 2012-03-18, 01:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

If it's optional I think it'd be okay. Really, my only concern is that it would actually be so unpopular of an option that it wouldn't be worth their time putting in. I think when people actually get down to it they will not choose to be a chauffeur if they had the choice of controlling the main gun as well.
Old 2012-03-18, 02:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

I'm pretty sure they are thinking of implementing it as an option since they mentionned it as being an unlock or a cert.

If that cert could just let the driver decide who controls what on HIS tank, then it will be best.

I guess they way tanks are used (1-man, 2-man or 3-man) would adjust to what works best. And yes, it might mean 1-man tanks being the most used option.

For the dedicated tank lovers though, being able to get a spot for your friends and choosing who drivers/who guns is a really nice option even if it is not the most efficient on the battlefield.

For some people, playing together with friends is vastly superior to owning alone. I like that the devs acknowledge this.
Old 2012-03-18, 02:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Mechzz
Major

For some people, playing together with friends is vastly superior to owning alone. I like that the devs acknowledge this.
I've followed this gunning/driving subject fairly closely, but haven't seen any specific comments from devs on it. Have there been any?
Old 2012-03-18, 02:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Warborn View Post
If it's optional I think it'd be okay. Really, my only concern is that it would actually be so unpopular of an option that it wouldn't be worth their time putting in. I think when people actually get down to it they will not choose to be a chauffeur if they had the choice of controlling the main gun as well.
Actually, it will be a very popular option. Because you simply cannot drive and gun at the same time. Its just not possible to keep track of everything.

Every Magrider tutorial, and every good magrider driver, tells you the same: As a magrider driver, you have no gun. The thing you have that fires bulltes is actually there to kill yourself, because thats whats going to happen if you try to use it. Why? Simply because you cant line up shots while driving around while plotting your path. It just doesnt work. Fact.

There simply needs to be the option to be a dedicated driver only, and letting a third guy take the main gun, or you wont see tank battles. You would see tank camps, but people wont really push.
Old 2012-03-18, 02:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
Figment
Lieutenant General

Magrider as it is now is a bit of a mix between a Tank Destroyer and Tank anyway.
Old 2012-03-18, 04:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Warhound
Corporal

Originally Posted by basti View Post
Actually, it will be a very popular option.
In your opinion though.

I just got out of a BF3 game and its very easy to drive and gun at the same time. It doesn't take that much skill to keep moving,shooting, and plotting your path. The only time I stopped was to take a shot at targets far away.

Last edited by Warhound; 2012-03-18 at 05:25 PM.
Old 2012-03-18, 04:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by basti View Post
Actually, it will be a very popular option. Because you simply cannot drive and gun at the same time. Its just not possible to keep track of everything.
People have been driving and gunning since Battlefield 1942 and all sorts of other games where people drive vehicles and shoot concurrently. It will be more challenging to drive and shoot than it would be to just drive or just shoot, but that's hardly an indictment of the feature.

Honestly, I really do not believe people who've never played Planetside will have any love for the idea of paying for a tank in every way and then simply driving it without being able to shoot its main gun.
Old 2012-03-18, 05:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
StumpyTheOzzie
Second Lieutenant

I hate saying wait for beta. I love theorycrafting.

I just think that with a squad of 10 men, they all grab MBTs, they will veer off and chase softies not stay on task. Then, if you need to jump out and repair your tank will be empty.

I would like to be a driver/engineer. That way if I get out to repair, I'd like to have 1 or 2 gunners keeping the tank somewhat combat effective. Also, 3x3man tanks + lightning is so much more kick ass than 10x1 man tanks. All the firepower of those tanks squished up into a neat little package rather than spread out over 200m and being vulnerable to air.
Old 2012-03-18, 05:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Warhound View Post
In your opinion though.

I just got out of a BF3 game and its very easy to drive and gun at the same time. It doesn't take that much skill to keep moving,shooting, and plotting your path. The only time I stopped was to take shot at targets far away.
Tank gameplay in a game with :
- low player-count
- small maps with even smaller objectives (i.e. a flag ? Really?)
- limited vehicle count per map

... is hardly comparable to PlanetSide for many many reasons.

Now if the question is whether the BF3 tank gameplay could be ported directly into PS2 without adjustments and be fun, I do not know. The only thing I know is that vehicle play in BF2142 was boring whereas Planetside vehicle gameplay was the most awesome fun I had in a game.

If this is lost in PS2, PS2 will be a shooter like any other if not with more concurrent players.

Honestly, I really do not believe people who've never played Planetside will have any love for the idea of paying for a tank in every way and then simply driving it without being able to shoot its main gun.
If it's optional, I don't think anyone will have grounds to complain anymore. I'm happy if I can dedicate to driving. Now if tanks suck or are boring, that's another problem.

Last edited by sylphaen; 2012-03-18 at 05:49 PM.
Old 2012-03-18, 09:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
Warhound
Corporal

text.
I will admit it was a stretch using the evidence that I provided.

However though when you're comparing "fun" that's directly your opinion. It may hold true for the vets but more than likely its not holding true for the Newer FPS players that are coming in.

The new player will more then likely be expecting the features such as "ammo drops" and the driver using the main gun of a tank. Things are changing towards a more "modern" audience. Just gotta accept that.

Also there's many more things that are going to differentiate PS2 from other modern shooters. Teamwork will most likely be one,size as you said will be another factor, but what really separates things is the in depth customization of your character and persistent gameplay that actually makes you feel like your making an impact on the part of your empire. Oh and the fact that its free.

While PS2 may borrow some things I bet you my bottom dollar they'll do it better then any modern game out there and I truly mean that. PS2 has the potential to make other games stand up and watch and really evaluate themselves.
Old 2012-03-19, 12:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #43
Eyeklops
First Lieutenant

I would prefer that tanks can be upgraded to 4 people.
  • A noob tank driver would be both the gunner & driver with no other people allowed. 1 person tank
  • First upgrade would be adding the ability for another person to man the main gun. 2 person tank
  • Second upgrade would add a driver or passenger controlled 50 cal. type anti-infantry weapon. 2 person tank
  • Third upgrade would allow a third person to man the 50 cal. 3 person tank
  • Fourth upgrade would add a spotter station with enhanced optics.* 4 person tank.

*For this position to be occupied both the driver and the person manning the spotter station must have the upgrade.

Last edited by Eyeklops; 2012-03-19 at 12:11 AM.
Old 2012-03-19, 06:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #44
Figment
Lieutenant General

So how come we played PlanetSide and learned to love it?

Just because they have not learned to love it because they never had the opportunity to, does not mean they will or won't.

Seems to be personal bias here projected on the "masses". I still don't understand the argument of "having paid for it in every way and not getting to use it" because you do. Just not in every way.

Would you prefer it you only get access to what you purchase yourself and they split it where you could only buy the hull and then have to wait for a gunner specced person to even get a turret and gun? How the hell is that sensible from a gameplay perspective?

MBTs in PlanetSide are more a thing of "you get the beers, I'll get the lawn chairs" social design. You get stuff for the team. NOT just for yourself. Breaking the mentality and mental barrier of only certing stuff for yourself is what made PS1 design so great and revolutionary. All those other games are STILL in the stone age of social (FPS) gaming, just with improved graphics. PS design is aimed at the MMO aspect and working together towards a common goal.

Don't take that revolutionary concept away just because the masses aren't exposed to it en mass. That'd be a major step back in game and MMO design.

Last edited by Figment; 2012-03-19 at 07:17 AM.
Old 2012-03-19, 06:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #45
CutterJohn
Colonel

1 more for yes, optionally.

I've had the thought, however, that 3 man with 2 gunners should only be doable with a different primary turret, for 2 reasons.

First, Trying to balance a vehicle so it can function as a 1, 2, or 3 man vehicle will be crazy. By using a different turret, you can change the balance, by adding more hitpoints to the tank or something.

Second, since the balance is changed, having a different turret would be a graphical indication to other players that this isn't the normal tank, and they can change their plans accordingly.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion