News: PlanetSide 2 eSports Details from MLG - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: it comes in 31 flavors.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-03-17, 07:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Badjuju
First Sergeant

Re: PlanetSide 2 eSports Details from MLG

Originally Posted by Stanis View Post
My grudge with eSports and instances .. if they took development time away from additional continents or any of the other features we've been begging for - it's a bad thing.

Can't say I care about eSports personally.
I'm sure it will very much be the focus of some outfits and many players.

I don't get why you'd watch people play a game instead of play the game yourself.
For the same reason people watch any other sport. They enjoy watching competition. I atm am watching the startcraft championships even though I don't play star craft. People simply enjoy competition.

@ pointman, as far as the people it attracts, you cant generalize that much. There is already no shortage of douche bags in Planetside, just watch the chat spam. It is a more of a generational thing than a player base thing. You also have to consider every kid in America plays COD or BF3. Most people playing PS3 play one of those games as well. You cant assume that just because they play one of those games they are automatically an ass.

Last edited by Badjuju; 2013-03-17 at 07:20 PM.
Old 2013-03-17, 07:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
CzuukWaterson
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
  • Outfits will be on ranked ladders within the game.
  • There will be separate competition areas that are built similarly to existing bases for familiarity.
  • Weapons will be restricted to guarantee balance during the fights.
  • Working directly with MLG to develop the competition areas.
  • Live MLG Show starting on Sunday the 31st.
Hell yeah. Now I can find out what it might be like to dog fight without 3 or 5 other pilots shooting at me.
Old 2013-03-17, 07:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
CzuukWaterson
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Selerox View Post
eSports isn't why people play PS2. We want scale. We want scope.

We don't want a crappy mechanic to cater for egotistical eSport wannabes who will demand the game become something that it's not.

So instead of using the effort and resources to actually fix and improve the game you have, you're going to create a whole new tier of the game to cater for the exact kind of people that lots of players picked up PS2 to avoid?

Wrong. Answer.
Nobody is asking for this. The game mechanics are fine. People do want this. You are not the only person in the world. I for one don't give a rats ass what you think.
Old 2013-03-17, 07:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
ShockFC
Master Sergeant

Interesting...

48 people is a lot to manage though, I get they want scale - but that's going to eliminate a lot of outfits who otherwise would have been very competitive.

I will work my hardest to see if I can get this flying for my outfit, but I'm making zero promises - honestly sounds like more work than I want to/am able to invest.

24v24 on the other hand? Very doable
Old 2013-03-17, 07:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Chewy
Major

Originally Posted by ShockFC View Post
Interesting...

48 people is a lot to manage though, I get they want scale - but that's going to eliminate a lot of outfits who otherwise would have been very competitive.

I will work my hardest to see if I can get this flying for my outfit, but I'm making zero promises - honestly sounds like more work than I want to/am able to invest.

24v24 on the other hand? Very doable
It needs to be at least 3 levels of play.

Squad level of with just 1-2 squads for each faction
Platoon level with up to a full platoon for each faction
Outfit level where there is no player limit but what the server can handle.

That makes room for low pop outfits and the huge 1,000+ member outfits. To hell with the problems big number brings, it isn't Planetside without big numbers and that HAS to be an option. Why bother with making PS2 an esport if it isn't PS2?
Old 2013-03-17, 08:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
DirtyBird
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Wonder how this is going to work in AU or maybe we aren't invited!

Can you create a team of 48 players just for the purpose of esports while keeping your individual outfits for general play?
If not, why not? its not part of everyday play.

And I can see now why the Roadmap has lost its focus and why we have had long delays.
Old 2013-03-17, 08:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
AThreatToYou
Major

Weapons will be restricted to guarantee balance during the fights.
So basically SOE is saying, "Our game is pretty bad in some areas, so we'll gimp it to make sure it doesn't look like it actually is."
Old 2013-03-17, 08:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
MrKwatz
Private

I do not support this method of competitive play at all. It strips the game of what makes planetside unique, the persistent war being participated in by hundreds/thousands of players with an overarching strategical level beyond the tactical level that this method was simply described to operate at. Small, isolated base attacks being successfully carried out by an outfit mean nothing if they don't have the same variables as what they would be affected by in the actual game.

How I believe this should have been structured instead:
Outfits structured into several different Outfit weights (>1024, >512, >144, >96 >48, >24 etc) competing within their respective weight classes. Each class of competition can then have multiple outfits competing on one whole continent, for instance 5 2 platoon outfits on each faction competing to cap all of Amerish, starting from the warpgate with neutral territory. Or 10 4 platoon outfits on each faction capping all 3 continents. Factions get kicked off if they get warplocked, and the whole faction wins when they get everything capped, with sub victories for most base caps/defenses per outfit for instance. This way also allows you to support small and large outfits alike.
Each outfit would only have their outfit/platoon/squad leaders present at the physical event with the rest of the outfit playing from home. Doing it this way you still retain the strategical overgame of planetside, having to deal with more than just a distilled, isolated, facility. Planetside needs to take MLG in a new direction, it should ABSOLUTELY NOT conform to what other arena games do.

Last edited by MrKwatz; 2013-03-17 at 08:44 PM.
Old 2013-03-17, 08:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

Should Tier as

24vs24
48vs48
96vs96

Personally i would like to see a requirement that all participants must have been members of their outfit for a minimum of 10days

Average play time of 2.0hours per day and falling. Need metagame / Continents.
Old 2013-03-17, 09:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
Scarr
Private

Originally Posted by Mod View Post
Ladder based on what scoring mechanic?
Based on hacks obviously. Whichever side brings the most hackers wins!
Old 2013-03-17, 09:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Koadster
Sergeant Major

The thing I hate most is this will take away Dev time from the real game. No wonder the roadmap is nearly a month behind. It was ok in planetside because you already had a fully fleshed game. In ps2 we are still fighting over the same indar day in day out and gu04 made a lot of bugs that will properly be there for ages since its all about mlg now. Hell I get more fps in arma3 alpha then ps2 now. I lost 50 fps from last patch.

I think this will be worse for the game then the benefits it will bring. Also the 'elitist mlg' mindset is gonna appear which I've seen in cod trolling videos and does nothing good for the game.

They need to stabilize the core game first.

MuNrOe : Eat a Dick sandwich TR
Old 2013-03-17, 11:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Koadster View Post
The thing I hate most is this will take away Dev time from the real game. No wonder the roadmap is nearly a month behind. It was ok in planetside because you already had a fully fleshed game. In ps2 we are still fighting over the same indar day in day out and gu04 made a lot of bugs that will properly be there for ages since its all about mlg now. Hell I get more fps in arma3 alpha then ps2 now. I lost 50 fps from last patch.

I think this will be worse for the game then the benefits it will bring. Also the 'elitist mlg' mindset is gonna appear which I've seen in cod trolling videos and does nothing good for the game.

They need to stabilize the core game first.
Its unfortunate that those that see this are in the minority right now, and even if we were in the majority, SOE still wouldnt give a shit.

I feel like we're still in beta and I have to tell SOE why their ideas are fucking retarded and actually lay it all out, but for the life of me, I also don't care enough to articulate it all because I know that SOE still wouldn't do shit about it even if we all did. So, I'm actually apathetic and just don't give a shit. In some ways, I hope that the first person who 'wins' their first 'major' tourney is a hacker or something and it just blows up in their face for the irony and hilarity of the opportunity to say 'I told you so'.

Why? Because fuck MLG. Thats why.

Retired NC CR5, Cerberus Company.
Not currently playing PS2. Anyone with a similar name is not me. My only characters are listed in my stats profile here on PSU.

Last edited by p0intman; 2013-03-17 at 11:31 PM.
Old 2013-03-17, 11:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
Empra
Private

I don't understand why some people have such a negative, knee jerk reaction to this. The main bread and butter for all E sports games is the core fan who isn't interested in the E sports section. All E sports does is promote the main game and have a fun competitive element to the game. More money for the game means more focus on PS2 by SOE.
Old 2013-03-17, 11:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
Rumblepit
Second Lieutenant

i told everybody it was gonna happen!"planetside 2 will be a esport"....
i told everybody how it was gonna happen!"matches could be setup to be squad vs squad, or platoon vs platoon", called it,"on small maps not in game",called it.and" all COMMON Pool Weapons",,,,, yes i called this too.

everyone said it would never happen, and i was stupid for thinking it .
im not one to say this often ,but i told ya so back in may 2012.

http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...ad.php?t=41684

Last edited by Rumblepit; 2013-03-18 at 12:11 AM.
Old 2013-03-17, 11:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
BIGGByran
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
There's no ESport in PlanetSide.

I know Higby's all gung-ho about ESports and loves StarCraft, but apart from StarCraft in South Korea and DoTA there are no real ESports, and they're only big in countries that don't have big normal sports. It really is a strange StarCraft phenomena.

The only Teams in PlanetSide are the empires, and those teams play each other constantly every day in PlanetSide. If anything there might be "seasons" where empire success is measured by resource income, territory ownership, captures, and similar metrics which show that empire being successful against the other empires. They could also display that sort of thing each and every day in PlanetSide or through fan sites and apps.

Blizzard tried really hard to E-sportify WoW with Arenas like they did with StarCraft and it failed horribly. They're likely going to try the same thing with D3. Some things aren't suited to be ESports, and PlanetSide is definitely one of them. I would say any MMO shouldn't be an E-sport. Trying to make it one would only detract from the game and add silly mechanics that shouldn't be there.

I see E-sports the same way I see PvE content - keep it the hell away from PlanetSide 2!

lol well I guess this didn't happen.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion