Cloakers need to bea ble to shoot cloaked! - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I'll take the rapist for 500 Trebeck
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-03-19, 10:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
Figment
Lieutenant General

Re: Cloakers need to bea ble to shoot cloaked!

Originally Posted by coconut View Post
I love playing as sniper from time to time, and I'm against the suggestion that firing should automatically uncloak you.

Keep in mind uncloaking isn't immediate, and the suggested mechanism would result in a delayed shot, unless uncloaking is made immediate or shooting while uncloaking is allowed. Both these changes would give snipers and infiltrators more power, which is not going to go down well with the victims. As others have pointed out, infiltrators and snipers can already deal a whole lot of damage with cloaking as it is now.

Currently, in sniper fights, you have the choice of being stealthy and slow-shooting or exposed and fast-shooting. Both strategies can work, but introducing auto-uncloak would make the latter worthless.

In this case, I don't think the added convenience is worth the cost of removing tactical complexity.
Question: what's the difference between pressing 'F' and left clicking the mouse button to cause a decloak and fire at the moment you're allowed to (ie. full decloak)?

Answer: nothing.

If it's a request to have your first shot with a main gun while cloaked, then no.

PS1 pistols were fine because they weren't powerful and you were quite visible (even if still partially cloaked) while firing. SMGs and Snipers should never be fired from a cloaked capacity. Those weapons are simply too powerful for that.

Sadly, I'm not so sure the current Repeater has a slow enough TTK to warrant it though.
Old 2013-03-19, 10:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
PredatorFour
Major

I think they need to introduce a new cloak suit. One that only allows you to carry a pistol but has unlimited cloak. You could also carry mines too.
Old 2013-03-19, 10:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
VaderShake
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
Question: what's the difference between pressing 'F' and left clicking the mouse button to cause a decloak and fire at the moment you're allowed to (ie. full decloak)?

Answer: nothing.

The difference is if while your taking a second for the de-cloak process to end you can change your mind about pulling the trigger. If it's an auto-process you can't.
Old 2013-03-19, 10:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
Gatekeeper
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by VaderShake View Post
The difference is if while your taking a second for the de-cloak process to end you can change your mind about pulling the trigger. If it's an auto-process you can't.
I don't understand how giving people the *option* to drop their cloak simply by firing would remove any tactical options from people who chose to manually drop it by pressing F instead.

Seriously, this is a tiny change with no downside that would just make it easier/more fun for players who are new to the Infiltrator class.

Old 2013-03-19, 10:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
Rahabib
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Ait'al View Post
Not being able to shoot at all in cloak and having a timer to shoot after decloaking is as lethal a thing to cloakers as possible. I just makes anything but cloaking while sniping pointless....

They need to allow shooting to deactivate cloaking. They already have the delay to recloak so there is a balance. But having to decloak then waiting 2 seconds to fire your underpowered gun they gave you because you are not armored and giving everything time to kill you before you can fire is rediculous. ther are too many penalties to cloaking.

All it needs is a decloak on fire ability and on timer to shoot on decloaking.....

If anything make it a new type of cloak. though I would prefer it were default on all cloaking devices unless there is a reason not to on a specific cloaking device.
I like the timer, it gives you a second to react when you hear the whoosh.
Old 2013-03-19, 10:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
Dragonskin
Major

Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
I don't understand how giving people the *option* to drop their cloak simply by firing would remove any tactical options from people who chose to manually drop it by pressing F instead.

Seriously, this is a tiny change with no downside that would just make it easier/more fun for players who are new to the Infiltrator class.
If you mean that you want it changed so that the gun firing decloaks you then it's not a simple change. That is a cloaked shot and is exactly why they don't allow you to shoot while cloaked to begin with.

I don't understand the steep learning curve. Press F to decloak, fire with left mouse, press f to re-cloak. How could that be steep at all? Infiltrators don't need an alpha strike from cloak ability.
Old 2013-03-19, 11:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
Gatekeeper
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Dragonskin View Post
If you mean that you want it changed so that the gun firing decloaks you then it's not a simple change. That is a cloaked shot and is exactly why they don't allow you to shoot while cloaked to begin with.

I don't understand the steep learning curve. Press F to decloak, fire with left mouse, press f to re-cloak. How could that be steep at all? Infiltrators don't need an alpha strike from cloak ability.
Nope, that's not what I'm suggesting. I'm suggesting that when you're cloaked, if you press fire then the normal decloaking process begins automatically - and when that's done (just as if you'd pressed F instead of fire) then you'd fire the actual shot automatically.

Basically nothing more than replacing 'press F, then press fire' with 'press fire'. No gameplay changes, just convenience. And if you like to press F to decloak, fine, keep that too. People can use whichever method they prefer.

I'm not suggesting that pressing F to decloak is some giant mystery that new players can't cope with - but I am suggesting that it's counter-intuitive that pressing fire does *nothing* if you're cloaked.

In my (admittedly limited) experience, new players often see an opportunity when cloaked, instinctively press fire, nothing happens, they press F, they decloak but it's too late, they get killed and then they get annoyed at how clunky the game's controls are.

When it's such a small change, why not just fix it and avoid that situation? Anything that removes frustration from the game is a good thing.

Old 2013-03-19, 11:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by VaderShake View Post
So? Don't auto-process but press F.

You would continue to have both options you know.
Old 2013-03-19, 11:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #39
Stardouser
Colonel

Allow firing to initiate decloak and make cloaking more instant. I recognize the need for this even as a light assault player, but no, we don't need to fire while cloaked.
Old 2013-03-19, 11:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #40
Mox
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

The infi should also being able to shit SC and and cloak his mbt.

/irony off

OP stop posting stupid suggestions like this!
Old 2013-03-19, 12:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Dragonskin
Major

Originally Posted by Mox View Post
The infi should also being able to shit SC and and cloak his mbt.

/irony off

OP stop posting stupid suggestions like this!
Actually you bring up a good point... indirectly. Until GU04 infiltrators couldn't cloak flashs equiped with furies/renegades. So if this is a needed function added to infiltrators for their weapons... is this going then be a "needed" function for flashes with wraith modules?
Old 2013-03-19, 12:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
Satanam
Sergeant

I love how Infiltrators are getting even better with the last updates and they still complain about it. I mean, you can now just get to your Flash, cloak, hide it behind a tree or something, uncloak, kill enemies with your SMG, get back to the Flash, cloak and go away. I'd say SMG and the ability to cloak a fast vehicle would be enough if I was an Infiltrator fan. You can just use the Flash to get on a spot and start sniping too. Then leave it covered when you need to go away when enemies notice where you are.

Last edited by Satanam; 2013-03-19 at 12:39 PM.
Old 2013-03-19, 01:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
ringring
Contributor
General

In actual fact cloaker are seriously OP with SMG's. Remove them.

Is this game only about frags? Don't answer that. Should this game be only about kills?
Old 2013-03-19, 01:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
bpostal
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
Nope, that's not what I'm suggesting. I'm suggesting that when you're cloaked, if you press fire then the normal decloaking process begins automatically - and when that's done (just as if you'd pressed F instead of fire) then you'd fire the actual shot automatically.
That's how I interpreted it. Actually firing off a shot from cloak would be a major no no IMO.

Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
Old 2013-03-19, 03:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
psijaka
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Electrofreak View Post
It is kind of a pain trying to get the cloak to drop so you can open fire, but that said, I don't feel the cloak should drop instantly. Your target does need an opportunity to react.
^ this

Being able to decloak and shoot by squeezing the trigger would be way unfair. Infil + SMG is beast as it is
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion