Smedley: "Bigots, homophobes, racists, anti-semites and general jerks not welcome" - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: PSU 2.0, Bigger,Badder,l33ter.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-09-02, 02:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
HeatLegend
Master Sergeant

Re: Smedley: "Bigots, homophobes, racists, anti-semites and general jerks not welcome

I think it's good they enforce it. But honestly, they can't be so strict about it. I for example say a lot of "homophobic" and "mean" racist things; but I'm never serious and I just do it to friends. It's bit of a toll that -not to point at anyone- tends to come a little more from america that everything is taken so seriously. Racism is such a big thing there due to all the various cultures. But from where for example I come from people say racist things all the time, very few are actually serious. Actual Racism and Homophobia is something that we in Scandinavia and a lot of Western/Central Europe for the most part have grown out of. If someone says something racist or homophobic people generally don't take em seriously around here.

But! Obviously it's hard to tell wether someone is joking or not in a chat especially if biggotry like this is a common thing around some people. So I think it's good that they enforce it, definitely- but I don't think they can be that strict just from seeing someone say something bad. At least give them warnings/infractions first, if they continue and don't learn that that kinda language isn't tolerated inside the game- then ban them for a few weeks or w/e.

EDIT:
Originally Posted by MaxDamage View Post
Gotta love Stephen Fry

Last edited by HeatLegend; 2012-09-02 at 02:15 PM.
Old 2012-09-02, 02:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Bags
Lieutenant General

Re: Smedley: "Bigots, homophobes, racists, anti-semites and general jerks not welcome

So what actually happened? They streamed Buzz's stream and he was racist, biggoted, homophobic etc etc on voice?
Old 2012-09-02, 02:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
MaxDamage
Sergeant Major

I just read the links to buzzcuts words.

It's 4chan kid behaviour.

They just use the words in spite of the words.
There is no hatred there whatsoever, I'm familiar with these kinds of people.

Outright bans for first offences are extreme because it is absolutely nothing other than bad language.

I don't want to see it myself, and people like that have messed up and infected communities I've been a part of in the past; but people holding their hands up to their mouths and acting flabbergasted, either lived a very sheltered life or haven't met 4channers before.

Like Smed says, so long as it isn't in the game, cool.
Kids will be kids.

They delight in perversity and in many ways, it's really no different than the shock factor humour Monty Python utilised in the past.

Humour is often shocking and "offensive", and should be permitted to be so, but the line should be drawn at the outright purile when it is said to genuinely cause someone real pain.

I welcome Smeds forthright statement.

Last edited by MaxDamage; 2012-09-02 at 02:16 PM.
Old 2012-09-02, 02:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
HellsPanda
Corporal

Ofcourse its different, because Monty Python where funny aswell as offensive
Old 2012-09-02, 02:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Syphus
Staff Sergeant

Why exactly is this stuff censored in the OP?
Old 2012-09-02, 03:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Shylan
Private

I think a few friendly insults between friends is OK, but when it becomes excessive to the point of annoyance, or is directed at someone with deliberate attempt to offend, then it's not OK. From all the denied applications I read from BCP; whether he falls under the deliberately annoying or deliberately offensive category, I can't tell; but either way, he's behaving like a huge jerk, and that's not being 'cool' or 'edgy'- that's just being immature and stupid.
Old 2012-09-02, 03:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
JHendy
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by DjEclipse View Post
Buzz lives up to that gamer tag, it's pretty much his parental advisory notice.

Imho that is just Buzz's shtick, he is like the Howard Stern of PS2.

Please, stop trying to excuse him by making his shitty behavior out to be character.

The man has no character, he's a disrespectful little gobshite sat behind a keyboard.
Old 2012-09-02, 03:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
elementHTTP
Sergeant

Well you can always say that Vanu are racist towards blue and red colored people.
Who gives them right to horribly assault those social groups !
BAN VANU color-phobes !

Old 2012-09-02, 03:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
Crator
Major General

Is this kind of thing going to hinder SOE being able to have the in-game streaming tools they are planning?
Old 2012-09-02, 04:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
Geist
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Syphus View Post
Why exactly is this stuff censored in the OP?
Wasn't really sure how the mods were going to react, so decided to play it safe and just quote the message without the specifics. Believe it or not this is probably rather damaging to the enclave.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
"There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened."

-Douglas Adams
Old 2012-09-02, 04:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
OnexBigxHebrew
Sergeant Major

Good. Unfortunately, a lot of people see my tag and think its anti-Semite when I'm actually, in truth, a ***. Haha gotta love this world.

Haters gonna hate!
Old 2012-09-02, 06:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by OnexBigxHebrew View Post
Good. Unfortunately, a lot of people see my tag and think its anti-Semite when I'm actually, in truth, a ***.
Would you consider a gentile anti-Semitic if he used that same name?
Old 2012-09-02, 06:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
USD
Private

Originally Posted by Geist View Post
Wasn't really sure how the mods were going to react, so decided to play it safe and just quote the message without the specifics. Believe it or not this is probably rather damaging to the enclave.

We've never had more applicants in such a short amount of time.
Old 2012-09-02, 06:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by USD View Post
How many of them are jewish or homosexual on the applications I wonder?

And those who aren't trolling you probably are pretty screwed up people.

I really liked "GODJOEY's" application. Remember him?

http://enclaveoilrig.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20428

Support the use of a dynamic XP system in PlanetSide 2!

Last edited by Electrofreak; 2012-09-02 at 06:49 PM.
Old 2012-09-02, 06:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
Geist
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by USD View Post
My mistake.

"There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened."

-Douglas Adams

Last edited by Geist; 2012-09-02 at 06:50 PM.
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion