Premium - Single or subscription fee? - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I'll hit you with the Hamma!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Would you pay monthly for premium membership?
Yep 62 39.74%
Nay 33 21.15%
Depends on the cost 61 39.10%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-06-29, 01:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Arcticus
Corporal

Re: Premium - Single or subscription fee?

Originally Posted by Satexios View Post
...But I am sure SoE have their plans figured out. I just hope a decal won't cost 10 bucks..
I'm sure they will have SOME decals/camo that are more expensive. One advantage of microtransactions is that they can have multiple price tiers to cater to vanity, status, etc.. It would be seem like a gaping marketing hole to have all the camos at $0.99 and not have some select $5 and $10 ones.

They will probably be tiering up 8%-15% of their stock divided among, say, $2, $5 and 10$.

Any higher than 15% and it won't feel as exclusive to those of us looking to purchase (even though it's digital and easily reproducible, we want the illusion that only a few are available). Also, the low-/non-paying base will complain that too much of the stock is higher-priced.

Any lower than 10% and SOE would be loosing revenue opportunity.

They might also have single-player ones that are auctioned off. There is absolutely no pain and pure gain in this for both players and SOE.
Old 2012-06-29, 01:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Wayside
Contributor
Corporal

Depends on the cost when compared to the benefit. What are you gonna give me to assure my monthly deposit of cash moneys into the vast coffers of SOE?
Old 2012-06-29, 03:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
JointReef
Private

I don't mind sub did for planetside and still do so wont bother me for PS2 either
Old 2012-06-29, 03:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Prexun
Private

Originally Posted by Redshift View Post
Er that's kind of my point, f2p means you always have very high pops, and for a game that requires high pops it's a must. They make it free and they get well over 1000% the number of players, exactly what happened with DCOU and TF2.
If SOE wasn't making PS2 and Ps1 would've been free VERY few would be playing it right now. Everyone's just hyped about PS2 and they like the idea of shooting developers, that's why they're playing PS1.

If you think a game is good and fun, you buy it. If you're unsure however, you might not, especially if it's got a monthly fee. That's where the monthly fee can ruin a game. However it can easily be solved with a demo or a free trial. That's how a game can convince the player to buy it.
Old 2012-06-29, 04:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Vreki
Corporal

I depends on what you get for the money of course, but I cant see myself going for a subscribtion this time. Its easier to go back to a game after a break when you dont always have to think "Is it really worth it? How much will I play this month?"

My plan is to support the game by buying stuff from the store. Unless it is timelimited, I am no fan of that.
Old 2012-06-29, 04:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Flaropri
Sergeant Major

Why not have both as an option? (different and on-going benefit for subscription, bundled package for single payment)

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that "Membership" is a subscription, based on similar models by SOE/DDO. But I'm not 100% sure of course.

Last edited by Flaropri; 2012-06-29 at 04:17 PM.
Old 2012-06-29, 04:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
Ramladu
Private

Tribes and World of Tanks have a "monthly" plan that gives a certain amount of gold (real money tokens) along with an experience boost and some other minor perks. It works pretty well.

By monthly I mean it's a one-time fee, but the experience boost lasts for 30 days. Not quite the same as a subscription.
Old 2012-06-29, 05:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Karrade
First Sergeant

Individual transactions.

Freedom to pick and choose what I want, and if the price is something I want to pay.

That for me is the best way, and I can avoid things I don't want to buy.

Originally Posted by Ramladu View Post
Tribes and World of Tanks have a "monthly" plan that gives a certain amount of gold (real money tokens) along with an experience boost and some other minor perks. It works pretty well.

By monthly I mean it's a one-time fee, but the experience boost lasts for 30 days. Not quite the same as a subscription.
I've bought many of their individual tanks but avoided this. You can earn enough off tier 8 premiums to do okay for yourself.

Last edited by Karrade; 2012-06-29 at 05:42 PM.
Old 2012-06-29, 06:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
LazyBonez
Private

I would pay for premium benefits!

Single Payment option: pay $200 upfront get Premium for life

Monthly options: usual sub plans $14.99 a month, $12.99 a month for 3 months etc

What you get with premium I think will be standard fare... all DLC free for premium subs + early access to DLC, Exclusive customization options camo, armor styles, decals etc, station cash allowance + what ever SOE can think of to go with it. (maybe discounts on market place items)

Something along those lines I would pay.
Old 2012-06-29, 06:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
Redshift
Major

Originally Posted by Prexun View Post
If SOE wasn't making PS2 and Ps1 would've been free VERY few would be playing it right now. Everyone's just hyped about PS2 and they like the idea of shooting developers, that's why they're playing PS1.

If you think a game is good and fun, you buy it. If you're unsure however, you might not, especially if it's got a monthly fee. That's where the monthly fee can ruin a game. However it can easily be solved with a demo or a free trial. That's how a game can convince the player to buy it.
No, but it would have lasted longer than it did.

Even with a demo sub games don't get anywhere near the player base of f2p games, theres really no point in arguing otherwise, DCUO and TF2 demonstrated the power of f2p emphatically
Old 2012-06-29, 07:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Stew
Major

You guys need to stop with the subs, it's proven to be a death blow for a game.

Look at PS1 yesterday, 4 days ago it was sub based and no one was online, yesterday it was free and we've 2-3 pop locks

f2p means lots of members all the time, which is exactly what you need in this game. Otherwise the pops drop off over time and the game dies exponentially faster.

If you're desperate to support SOE with cash then just spend lots in the shop.
lol your rigth !

if they really want to suport the game they just have to as long as the game are full i will suport the game !

who want to spend money on empty servers ? especially in a fps
Old 2012-06-29, 07:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
Xaine
Major

Originally Posted by Prexun View Post
You're kidding, right? PS1 is 9 years old, not that many look at games that are nine years old.
Especially ones that have pretty much been neglected for years on end.

On topic:

If i think the game is worth it, i'd be happy to pay for premium.
Old 2012-06-29, 07:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
SixShooter
Captain

You guys need to stop with the subs, it's proven to be a death blow for a game.

Look at PS1 yesterday, 4 days ago it was sub based and no one was online, yesterday it was free and we've 2-3 pop locks

f2p means lots of members all the time, which is exactly what you need in this game. Otherwise the pops drop off over time and the game dies exponentially faster.

If you're desperate to support SOE with cash then just spend lots in the shop.
You do realize that no one is talking about a required sub right? It's already been established that the game will be F2P for everyone and that cash shop item and an optional sub will be there for those who want it.
Having an optional subscription is not going to be a "death blow" in any sense of the phrase. It will be there for those who want to use it (like myself) and it will be a good thing that will not effect anyone who never wants to pay a dime other than it will help support continued development for the game.

Old 2012-06-29, 08:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
Talented Maori
Corporal

Im going to say no, I need no premium. Devs have stated that everything in game can be unlocked through simply playing, I need no advantage. Wonder if it's like DCUO where when your sub ends you can't access the 'premium' stuff.

Last edited by Talented Maori; 2012-06-29 at 08:08 PM.
Old 2012-06-29, 08:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
Mikenumbers
Private

Misc Info

Since the game is free-to-play I would pay for premium membership.

Mainly because it would allow me to further support the game financially, customizations are great and dandy but this system would allow them a steady income, I'm not so much interested in the bonuses that would come with it though.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion