The excitement for Planetside 2 is killing me. - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: death is a guy with no pants, his name is Hamma
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-03-20, 04:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
WiteBeam
Second Lieutenant

Re: The excitement for Planetside 2 is killing me.

Originally Posted by WildGunsTomcat View Post
I for one welcome our SOE overlords, and can't wait until console gamers evolve up to our level and play with us.
Funny but true. Over the next 10 years, FPS console gaming will be over shadowed by what PC's are and will be capable of.
Old 2012-03-20, 04:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Knocky
Major

I for one welcome our SOE overlords, and can't wait until console gamers evolve up to our level and play with us.

You sir have gone ENTIRELY too far!

There is no way that I am sharing my glorious gamespace with those console neanderthals.

They CANNOT be taught!

And a pox on SOE.....Maybe I would accept Dev Overlords though....
Old 2012-03-20, 04:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

Don't be silly.

The PC is just as held back by it's hardware as the consoles. Battlefield 3 on PC was only made possible due to reason developments, 4 years ago BF3 on PC would have been impossible as hardware and Direct X weren't at a point that they're at now to enable it. As shown by the consoles however, with texture streaming trickery, they pull it off quite well. Crisis 2 is another good example, though toned down.

PC's have the problem of compatibility and it holds them back MASSIVELY. A new altered version of DX being necessary for every single game. Hardware in PCs might be massively ahead of that of consoles but the compatibility issues hold PCs back massively, it's only been the last couple of years that have truly caused the PC to wade ahead of the consoles and that's only really due to the fact that a new generation hasn't happened due to the economical climate we're currently in, with things having been pushed back as a result.

John Carmack is a really good source on this kind of thing, he's been pushing for a long time now for PCs to standardise hardware and get their shit together with compatibility. The issue being that optimising a game for the infinite number of hardware combinations out there is a nightmare and forces developers to hold back what they might be able to do if they knew exactly what they had to optimise for, because they'd no the EXACT performance a certain machine would have, what it's capabilities are and precisely where it'll start having issues at. I really recommend reading some of his stuff, the guy is undeniably a genius and one of the greatest influences on gaming over the last 20 years.

While you're right, the last couple of years have seen less go forwards, the differences we would have seen aren't as massive as those of us that play PC often state, and BF3 wouldn't be any better regardless of consoles, nor would Cryengine.

Besides all of this E3 is one to watch this year, there's been a number of rumours and evidence towards next gen consoles very soon. A surprise drop this year could happen, though realistically we're looking at seeing Sony and Microsoft's efforts release next year. Then this whole PC/console argument will die down again, it only ever occurs at the end of a console life cycle and has only occurred more during this one due to the economy. It goes in circles and the majority of the time they're no harm whatsoever, quite the opposite in fact.

Mod: /r/gamernews
Join The Enclave: http://www.enclaveoilrig.com
Old 2012-03-20, 04:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Knocky
Major

Lets not start another PC/Console war.

There is nothing wrong with being silly from time to time about it.

I thought my being over the top comments would have been enough.

Old 2012-03-20, 04:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Shogun
Contributor
General

thread got derailed a little...

but the era of consoles is almost through.
the next big thing will be cloudgaming. no expensive hardware needed and it fits in every living room. and it can pull off graphics like the best pcs.
it combines all the selling points of consoles and a lot of pc.

as soon as they get over their lag and pricing problems, services like onlive will take over.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2012-03-20, 04:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

Originally Posted by Knocky View Post
Lets not start another PC/Console war.

Not starting a war, there's no argument to be had. Just making the points of the reality as it was brought up.

There is nothing wrong with being silly from time to time about it.

I thought my being over the top comments would have been enough.
I know, no need to get defensive, I wouldn't have posted the image if I weren't joining in a bit.

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

the next big thing will be cloudgaming. no expensive hardware needed and it fits in every living room. and it can pull off graphics like the best pcs.

as soon as they get over their lag and pricing problems, services like onlive will take over.
Cloud gaming will never be the future of gaming, it may become a mainstream part of gaming, somewhat akin to how tablets and phones have become a multi billion gaming industry, but it will never be what true gaming is and simply can't.

Cloud gaming gets rid of user freedom. You cannot adjust the resolution, you cannot get mods, you can't even modify game settings to get a higher framerate.Also, you have to rely on someone else to be able to play.

That's not even taking into consideration the immense bandwidth costs, with ISPs worldwide already implementing bandwidth caps, Aus, Canada, soon to be the UK, the US won't be far behind. In that climate it will simply be impossible, there's no possible way to reduce the bandwidth, the speed might increase, the bandwidth can't get better though.

The future of gaming is more consoles and better PCs. Five years from now we'll see qubits start to changing what PCs are today and that's when new things will happen, until then cloud gaming won't change a thing.

Old 2012-03-20, 04:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
WildGunsTomcat
Master Sergeant

It is inevitable that consoles will catch up to current tech. The biggest problem with consoles right now is the ability to upgrade them. Once that obstacle is overcome, they will take off.

The reason console gamers and pc gamers don't play together, particularly in the field of FPS's....is simply this: PC Gamers would mop the floor with them.

You cannot put a controller up against a mouse and keyboard....you can't compare them. I get so much more precision out of my mouse and keyboard than I ever will a controller on a console.

I have many friends I would love to play with, that only play consoles. One day, we'll all play together.

Hopefully, on Planetside 3.
Old 2012-03-20, 04:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

It is inevitable that consoles will catch up to current tech. The biggest problem with consoles right now is the ability to upgrade them. Once that obstacle is overcome, they will take off.

The reason console gamers and pc gamers don't play together, particularly in the field of FPS's....is simply this: PC Gamers would mop the floor with them.

You cannot put a controller up against a mouse and keyboard....you can't compare them. I get so much more precision out of my mouse and keyboard than I ever will a controller on a console.

I have many friends I would love to play with, that only play consoles. One day, we'll all play together.

Hopefully, on Planetside 3.
This will be tested very shortly. CS:GO is going to be cross platform play, with PC and console playing on the same servers.

Though I agree, at a certain point a console controller simply can not contend with a mouse, there's PLENTY of overlap in skill though, there are plenty of console gamers that would wipe the floor with plenty of PC gamers. It is only the upper quartiles that this applies to.

Old 2012-03-20, 04:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
WildGunsTomcat
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Skitrel View Post
This will be tested very shortly. CS:GO is going to be cross platform play, with PC and console playing on the same servers.
Same with Dust 514 I think. They're talking about cross platforming.
Old 2012-03-20, 06:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
Atheosim
Captain

I kept hearing that it will be a PS3 exclusive (fucking stupid move imo).
Old 2012-03-21, 03:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #41
Vancha
Colonel

Not anymore.
Old 2012-03-21, 04:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #42
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

I've never really been bothered about Dust. It looks like an incredibly generic shooter to me that's trying to mask itself as an mmo when in fact it's all round based with a player limit of 64. While on console that's kind of nice if they do release with that limit it certainly doesn't make it an mmo or different to anything else out there in my opinion.

Originally Posted by Vancha View Post
Not anymore.
Oh, I missed that little tidbit, shame I guess though I can understand Valve not wanting to take risks with PC being held back in updates compared to console. They had bad experiences with TF2.

Old 2012-03-21, 05:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #43
Tamas
Staff Sergeant

Excitement for PS2 is keeping me alive, while ME3 ending is killing me....
Old 2012-03-21, 06:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #44
megamold
Second Lieutenant

Though I agree, at a certain point a console controller simply can not contend with a mouse, there's PLENTY of overlap in skill though, there are plenty of console gamers that would wipe the floor with plenty of PC gamers. It is only the upper quartiles that this applies to.
it has allready been tested quite some time ago

notice the "play with windows vista gamers" sticker

Last edited by megamold; 2012-03-21 at 06:33 AM.
Old 2012-03-21, 06:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #45
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

Originally Posted by megamold View Post
it has allready been tested quite some time ago

notice the "play with windows vista gamers" sticker
Shadowrun has aim assist for console users, CS:GO isn't going to.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion