PS Fan Faire? - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Created with Notepad.exe(tm)
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2004-04-09, 10:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Mag-Mower
General

Misc Info

I like the idea of new york, but here are several reasons i wouldnt be able to go to...well i forget the location, but it is far away...
1)I live in southern ontario- $1000-1500cdn travel+ return=1000 X 2=$2000
2)pass- $150cdn X 2= $300cdn
3)hotel- $150cdn/night X 3 night=$450cdn
4)waiting at border crossing for 3 hours, pricless
For the things money can buy(except for this trip totalling over $5000cdn) theres master card,
If that doestnt seem like alot, you can get a friggin' alien comp for $4000cdn! COME ON!
Old 2004-04-10, 12:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
LimpBIT
Lieutenant Colonel

If every outfit had a tent it would be cool. Well every outfit worth having space to gather. I would love meeting my friends in the 666th in person.

Old 2004-04-10, 01:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
Kaymon
Master Sergeant

Question: where is everyone getting their numbers from? I've been checking airfare from NY to San Diego and I'm seeing numbers as low as $250 for the flight alone. Most hotels charge less than $100 a night, so if it's a 3 day event (you're staying 2 nights), that's $200 (but let's say $300 to be fair), tack on the $100 fee, throw in another $150 for shits and giggles (and food, other expenses) and your grand total (That I'm getting) is $800. If you meet up with some friends and split the hotel costs, you can drop that number down to, at most, $600.

www.jetblue.com - it's one of those 'low cost' airlines and it flies into San Diego. That's where I'm getting my airfare price from. Sure you fly at odd hours, but a midnight flight is worth the $200 I'm saving on airfare. Even still, the most I've seen from many other airlines is $400, so that would put your price at $1000 tops.

I really don't know where most of you are getting your $2000 numbers from. If you'd care to enlighten me, I'm listening.

*edit* - Or maybe I'm just incredibly lucky?
Old 2004-04-10, 10:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
JetRaiden
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by LimpBIT
If every outfit had a tent it would be cool. Well every outfit worth having space to gather. I would love meeting my friends in the 666th in person.
Im in the 666th too. we'd need to rent out a convention center to accomidate everyon.e

it would be cool if some of the more major outfits had a booth though.
Old 2004-04-10, 12:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Mag-Mower
General

Misc Info

well, it would cost me so much because I have a fear of flying, i will never go on a plane so thats where you get the extra $2000
here is a break down
-fuel-since i live in eastern canada 200cdnX2=400cdn
-hotel-150/nightX8=1200
-food-60X8=$480cdn
=$2020cdn- thats just the trip
-pass-150cdnX2=$300cdn
-hotel-150cdnX3=$450cdn
-food(ouside of convention)-$100-125 day X3=$300cdn
-food-(convention) prices from e3-1 hamburgere $20cdnX 3=$60cdn
-misc-$100cdn

TOTAL=
Travel-2020
+
all rest-1110

TOAL-$3130cdn-4000
Old 2004-04-10, 12:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Kaymon
Master Sergeant

Looks like your complaint about money is no longer valid because there is a much cheaper way to go, and you're intentionally avoiding it.

That said, why are you afraid of flying?
Old 2004-04-10, 01:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
Kyonye
Contributor
General

I would love to go but the money for the flight to san diego would cost me enough money and then to pay the $100 fee for entrance. I could never afford it , especially with me having team practice for paintball twice a week.

<Smaug> omg kyonye is hot
Old 2004-04-10, 01:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Kyonye
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by JetRaiden
bah! have it in new york dammit!

seriously, NEW YORK CITY is the best city out there. it would only make sense to have it there. besides i'm guessing one of the reasons you are having it in san diego is because the devs are based out of there. they have the money to travel, most of us don't,

Old 2004-04-10, 04:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
Hamma
PSU Admin

The only reason it makes sense is because its closer to you thats what cracks me up about these things.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2004-04-10, 04:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
Kyonye
Contributor
General

well...............yeah, of course, lol

Old 2004-04-10, 04:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Biohazzard56
Contributor
Major General

Do it in Chicago and lower the Admission by $50, but even at the current plan id still go. PSU Staff will get invited anyway, enjoy your free tickets Hamma.

The Poll is in the Majority of No, so maybe Admission is WAY to high.
Old 2004-04-10, 06:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
Kaymon
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Biohazzard56
Do it in Chicago and lower the Admission by $50, but even at the current plan id still go. PSU Staff will get invited anyway, enjoy your free tickets Hamma.
Thing is, if they hauled themselves and their stuff from San Diego to Chicago, they'd have to charge more to cover the extra expenses.

The Poll is in the Majority of No,
Spork said they didn't need a majority vote, only enough YES votes.

so maybe Admission is WAY to high.
Economics my friend, economics. Everyone thinks prices are too high until they know why they charge what they do. Most employees can't see past their own paycheck. (I work with a prime example) If you ask me, basic economics should be a required course in public schools.

Bottom line to all this is: the people that want to go that can afford it will go, the others will not. Those that do not will send messages from "lucky bastards" to "hope you enjoy getting raped, fools!". I do hope they host this. It would add a little more flavor to the community.
Old 2004-04-10, 06:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
BizSAR
Contributor
Sergeant

Misc Info

I'm sure if there's enough interest and enough attendance at the West Coast one, they'd do it elsewhere.
As these type of events go, I think it would be safe to say that there will likely be some sort of rooming discount/package, maybe even a total package sponsored by some travel agency SOE picks.

$100 is not out of the ordinary for attendance at such an event. Sci-Fi conventions can be just as much, if not more.

In looking at the current airfare, a roundtrip ticket from Seattle would be about $200-$250, likley cheaper than driving from Portland. I'd have to slum it in a fleabag down in ol' CA, or arrange with a bunch of players to get a room and camp out on the floor (WAY more fun) but it's doable for me.

OOHHH...can you imagine the room parties late at night? OOOhhh...(wringing hands)

I'm there! I hope it comes to pass....
Old 2004-04-10, 07:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
Eldanesh
Sergeant Major

They need to move it to Boston and charge $1.25 for admission. Then I might go.

I dunno though, gas is gettin $$, I don't wanna hafta drive into the city...
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion