Planetside 2 - A critical look - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: n00blet, your daily multi-vitamin
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-09-15, 11:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
I Hate MMORPGs
Private

Re: Planetside 2 - A critical look

I totally get that they said it won't be pay-to-win, but in the case that their cash shop isn't selling enough novelty garbage to sustain the server costs of thousand-man battles, they will absolutely re-think their promises.

I'm obviously airing on the side of satire, and I hope I'm wrong about everything. I simply don't believe that the cash shop with novelty items is a predictable and sustainable source of revenue for a game with these requirements.

EDIT: I also find it interesting that people think developers have any final say about the revenue model of their games...

Last edited by I Hate MMORPGs; 2011-09-15 at 11:30 AM.
Old 2011-09-15, 11:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by I Hate MMORPGs View Post
Nice to see a lot of positive feedback!

The only thing I needed to hear about this game was that they planned on having a Pay-to-Win model. PvP is only fun when there is a level playing field, and the subscription model is much more suitable for this.
If this actually is the writer of the blog, it kinda says it all right here. He's just another anti-free-2-play activist. Blindly crusading against a business model with no thought given to how that business model will be applied, or even to the actual game itself.

You'd have more luck changing the mind of a "moon landing truther" than a troll like this. The way I see it, these are the same type of people that argued against the automobile because horse drawn carriages were better. Some people resist progress, so you just ignore them.

Old 2011-09-15, 11:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
I Hate MMORPGs
Private

Originally Posted by Raymac View Post
If this actually is the writer of the blog, it kinda says it all right here. He's just another anti-free-2-play activist. Blindly crusading against a business model with no thought given to how that business model will be applied, or even to the actual game itself.

You'd have more luck changing the mind of a "moon landing truther" than a troll like this. The way I see it, these are the same type of people that argued against the automobile because horse drawn carriages were better. Some people resist progress, so you just ignore them.
Deliciously hypocritical. Ironically ignore me more by posting replies about ignoring me.
Old 2011-09-15, 11:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
Raymac
Brigadier General

Deliciously hypocritical. Ironically ignore me more by posting replies about ignoring me.
No. I wasn't using 2nd person, I was using 3rd person, plus I've said what I need to say. Have a nice life, dude.

Old 2011-09-15, 11:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
FIREk
Captain

While this poor excuse for "satire" is pretty lame and pretentious, he does make a sad point in his final edit, a few posts up...

In the end, it is the bean-counters, suits and incompetent, yet powerful, micromanaging pricks that make the decisions. They pull some weak data, for instance game X used pay-to-win and was successful (within the scope of that data), and decide it's a good idea, even if game X started dying soon afterwards.

Why do you think so many companies jumped on the MMO bandwagon, and made WoW clones? Pencil-pushers saw on TV that Blizzard makes a fuckton of money with WoW and decided that, if they develop the same shit with a slightly different flavor, they will have a fuckton of money as well. Have you seen any WoW killers lately? Yet there are still more and more WoW clones coming out and failing.

Bottom line is, Smed may promise everything will be fine, but in the end someone higher in the pecking order may make the bad decision for him and the rest of the PS2 team.
Assuming this will happen, and commenting "the obvious, inevitable future", though, is shit, even for a blog. :P

Last edited by FIREk; 2011-09-15 at 11:52 AM.
Old 2011-09-15, 11:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by FIREk View Post
Bottom line is, Smed may promise everything will be fine, but in the end someone higher in the pecking order may make the bad decision for him and the rest of the PS2 team.
Assuming this will happen, and commenting "the obvious, inevitable future", though, is shit, even for a blog. :P
You make a good point, but Smed is the CEO, so there's not many people "higher in the pecking order" lol

Old 2011-09-15, 11:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
Draep
Master Sergeant

who cares
Your name gives me the impression you don't like MMORPGs, why spend your time writing about them? You're trash.
Old 2011-09-15, 12:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Aractain
Major

..........Anyway, does anyone else think that there should be options for furrys in this game? I mean all the new MMOs have a furry for the anthro community (Wookies count right?). But PS2 is mostly humans. So unless theres some odd creatures running around theres no way to get the furrys in.

I propose a set of furry skins for soildiers. How cool would it be to see your medic dressed like a tiger or a zebra?

They would blend right in with my proposed "jungle" and "savanna" prowler skins.
Old 2011-09-15, 12:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
Gandhi
First Lieutenant

Crates and keys, I'm calling it now.

Originally Posted by Aractain
How cool would it be to see your medic dressed like a tiger or a zebra?
Was that a serious question?

Last edited by Gandhi; 2011-09-15 at 12:07 PM.
Old 2011-09-15, 12:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
FIREk
Captain

You make a good point, but Smed is the CEO, so there's not many people "higher in the pecking order" lol
Yeah, I know... This gives us hope, but even if we trust Smed, he's not beyond influence, nor beyond weakness if PS2 turns out not to be a huge, sustainable success in the long run. He might eventually cave in (knock on wood), but hopefully this will never happen.

Originally Posted by Draep View Post
Your name gives me the impression you don't like MMORPGs, why spend your time writing about them? You're trash.
Spewing hate is one of the most basic forms of attention whoring.
Old 2011-09-15, 12:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
FIREk
Captain

Originally Posted by Aractain View Post
furry stuff
This is now an official trolling thread. :P

I think character customization is selling power - you can get armor and colors that make you blend in more with the environment. That's absolutely appalling! What say you?!
Old 2011-09-15, 12:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
I Hate MMORPGs
Private

Originally Posted by Draep View Post
Yikes. Apparently NaziBlog was taken, but I think you knew about that. Satire is fun because it isn't supposed to be taken seriously. I have obviously played and enjoyed a multitude of MMORPGs. Relax :P
Old 2011-09-15, 12:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
Draep
Master Sergeant

Spewing hate is one of the most basic forms of attention whoring.
Says the Thomas fucking Jefferson of PSU of course. I couldn't be that much of an attention whore writing on forums for a game that doesn't even exist yet.
Old 2011-09-15, 12:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
Aractain
Major

I think character customization is selling power - you can get armor and colors that make you blend in more with the environment. That's absolutely appalling! What say you?!
Everyone would get a basic set of pink (desert), green (temperate), grey (urban), brown (real) and underwear (cyber) skins to start them off!
Old 2011-09-15, 12:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
Hamma
PSU Admin

Yikes. Apparently NaziBlog was taken, but I think you knew about that. Satire is fun because it isn't supposed to be taken seriously. I have obviously played and enjoyed a multitude of MMORPGs. Relax :P

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion