News: Backstory For Your Eyes Only - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I'm on a boat!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2011-11-10, 04:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
EASyEightyEight
Sergeant Major

Re: Backstory For Your Eyes Only

Don't drink the Koolaid! It took me a year for that crap to run through my system before I had regained my senses and realized I was fighting for the whack jobs instead of reuniting Auraxis like I had originally wanted to!
Old 2011-11-10, 04:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by EASyEightyEight View Post
Don't drink the Koolaid! It took me a year for that crap to run through my system before I had regained my senses and realized I was fighting for the whack jobs instead of reuniting Auraxis like I had originally wanted to!
But it's delicious grape flavored koolaid and we spiked it with some vodka. Potato vodka too, not that corn stuff.
Old 2011-11-10, 04:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Fab
Sergeant

I'll drink my Koolaid spiked not with Vodka but with the blood of my first Terran Victim!
May the mighty Vanu accept me as his humble servant!
Old 2011-11-10, 04:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
MasterChief096
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Xyntech View Post
The only real danger is if people become to fanatical in their followings of whatever Vanu says (or whatever they are told that Vanu says). As long as the VS keep being free thinkers and don't submit to following blindly, they are probably pretty safe, or as safe as anybody can be when in a situation like Auraxis.

This is where more backstory comes in. Have the VS in general started doing Vanu's bidding, no matter how crazy?
Well the VS are convinced that the only way to "save the planet" and all that other jazz is to eradicate the ideologies of the other two factions by systematically killing or converting them. I'd say that's pretty fanatical already.

Taken from the backstory regarding the formation of the Vanu Sovereignty:
Scott shook his head. “We’re not siding with either of them, if that’s what you mean. But we also can’t stay on the side any longer. It is only a matter of time before all the nuances of Rebirthing is made public; it’s a secret we won’t be able to keep for much longer. Vanu himself has spoken to me. To save the world he once ruled, in order for humanity to reach its full potential, we must take up arms and destroy them both. We must eradicate all that stands against us. Today we have declared our Sovereignty, a Vanu Sovereignty. Only one force can live on Auraxis, and it must be us.”
So all these so-called scientists were willing to go off the whim of this one dude listening to the "person who once ruled this world" (which, his civilization is dead by now, might I add) and openly declare their sovereignty and follow him to the bitter evisceration of the other two sides? Its just as genocidal as any other regime out there. The VS didn't wait to see what was going to happen between the TR/VS, they aren't attempting diplomacy, they're just going to follow this guy and "Vanu" because, "only one force can live on Auraxis, and it must be us."

Last edited by MasterChief096; 2011-11-10 at 04:57 PM.
Old 2011-11-10, 05:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Oh I totally agree that the VS are war mongering assholes, but all three empires are pretty guilty of that. We wouldn't have much of a game without it

I'm more interested in things uniquely positive and negative about the sides.

Again, protecting technology that has done incredible things, such as literally bringing people back from the dead, is a far cry from thinking everyone should be oppressed by government or subjected to might makes right anarchy.

TR and NC brought their problems and ideologies to Auraxis. VS found everything they wanted there.

Neither side is any more or less guilty of wanting to wipe the other two sides away. At question is why they want to do it and what sort of aftermath would they create if they achieved that goal.
Old 2011-11-10, 05:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by MasterChief096 View Post
"only one force can live on Auraxis, and it must be us."
There is a difference between the word WILL and the word MUST. That's how it goes. Just standing aside letting them both eradicate all the living (not just NC/TR as the VS propose) was not a valid option. That's why they entered the war. They never started it Mere scientists, civil people of evolution, tried to prevent the revolution with arms in their hands. That's not fanatism, but rather a meritable, humane deed. Basically TR and NC are to be blamed for that. VS planned everything to progress slowly. And in one savage strike all hopes for evolution were reduced to ash by a bunch of higher-up kids that wanted to see whose army is bigger.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2011-11-10, 05:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Let's be honest though, there had to have been a few of the scientists who were just itching to cook some people with their newly discovered death rays
Old 2011-11-10, 06:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
IceyCold
Master Sergeant

Dont worry Vanu and Terran players.

The N.C. are here. To liberate the shit out of you.
Old 2011-11-10, 07:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by IceyCold View Post
Dont worry Vanu and Terran players.

The N.C. are here. To liberate the shit out of you.
The New Conglomerate: We'll free your ass, or kill you trying.
Old 2011-11-10, 11:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
ShockNC
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Erendil View Post
"...it behooves us...to continue full observation and to make available to Connery our manpower and technologies in order to reap the financial and other benefits such discoveries will no doubt incur."
A.K.A. "we are feeling ripped off because some TR President is using our manpower and tech to run off and make the discovery of the century without including us in the job"

"...Since he knows we would make money available—with all the expected conditions—it’s obvious to me he doesn’t want us as partners...I think we should...find a way to insinuate our companies into whatever he’s doing..."

"...We all know Connery’s a hardass and nobody can push him…But we can push everyone else he has to deal with.... [We] run the top nine banks in the T.R. federation and they have all applied for membership in Business Forward. So now we control his access to money..."

"...I am proposing bringing business, unions and, well, yes, even the mercenaries together in sort of a new conglomerate. Without engaging our services, Connery won’t be able to get to his rooftop penthouse, let alone the Moon Belt..."
the word that comes to my mind when i read this is realpolitik. effectively, they smell something big and they want to be involved so they lobby via indirect pressure to get what they want. not pretty but it's pretty standard fare when it comes to politics.

as for the third comment, it's ironic that a CEO is using that kind of language since it's the languages often used by unions when striking.

We even have evidence of bribery:
"...If we loosen up our corporate money belts on a few Union issues, I believe we can get them to play ball with us...."
I think this is less outright bribery and more realpolitik in action. the CEOs need ships and people who can manage those ships are unified and need to be negotiated with (and if you even been with a union, there are ALWAYS issues). classic class struggle i see happening here.

And Extortion for "Protection" services:
"...I’m guessing that [Connery] expects to need protection from something out there...Well, as you all know, those Guardian orgs are run by multi-billion dollar conglomerates...I’m sure you can see where I’m going with all of this…"
Pluto just got blown up and the TR are in the middle of doing their own thing. it's quite expected to hire mercenaries when encountering dangerous areas.

And all of this in the name of profit, apparently at any cost:
"If this works...I can see adding more than just a few zeroes to our bottom line..."
the "adding more than just a few zeroes to our bottom line" line makes me think that there is something beyond pure profit motivating that character. fame? curiosity? i don't know.

The New Conglomerate: Relieving you of your financial and political worries one Racket at a time...
I would say that it's less of a financial racket (as Corporations and Unions are on board) as much as illustrating the factions that the NC are going to have. your going to have a loose mishmash group of corporations, unions, mercs, and the random anarchist fighting only united in fighting the VS and the TR. and the ironic thing is that if the VS and the TR are actually defeated, the NC would soon start imploded through differences in ideology.
Old 2011-11-10, 11:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
HELLFISH88
First Sergeant

With those wise words being said; I hereby found the NEWER Conglomerate to secede from the tyrannical and unreasonable policy's of the Archaic and fascist New Conglomerate!
Old 2011-11-10, 11:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
ShockNC
Sergeant

Originally Posted by HELLFISH88 View Post
With those wise words being said; I hereby found the NEWER Conglomerate to secede from the tyrannical and unreasonable policy's of the Archaic and fascist New Conglomerate!
But we haven't decided on the colours yet!
Old 2011-11-10, 11:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
HELLFISH88
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by ShockNC View Post
But we haven't decided on the colours yet!
It's Salmon.
Old 2011-11-11, 12:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #44
ShockNC
Sergeant

Originally Posted by HELLFISH88 View Post
It's Salmon.
But the VS have already cornered the market on Pinkish Purple! They'll sue us for copyright infringement!
Old 2011-11-11, 02:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #45
Captain1nsaneo
Major

Misc Info

The NC and TR are trying to intentionally blow up the planet with war.
The VS are trying to accidentally blow up the planet with science.
I'll let you decide which is more awesome.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion