AOE heal, revive - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Keep your mitts off my freaking beans!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-02-24, 07:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Sta
Private

Re: AOE heal, revive

Originally Posted by ThGlump View Post
Did they turn medic class into mage class? Using SKILL to aoe heal and reviving? If its there i really hope its some sort of deployable, or consumable and not some lousy skill. And of course reviving should take some time. This aoe revive sounds like instant.

Also did i hear correctly about healing and reviving GRENADES? (healing/reviving at distance). That also looks like that reviving dont take any time.
Yea, to deploy something like that:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...-M2-Mortar.jpg

sounds kool! Of course no mortar but like a device which generates some kind of futuristic health field in the surrounding area would be neat... In my opinion sounds better than throwing "grenades" to heal/ revive??

edit:
The "grenade" idea to revive ppl was probably inspired by the defibrillator which we know from bf.. So they probably gonna look like emp granades...

Last edited by Sta; 2012-02-24 at 08:06 PM.
Old 2012-02-24, 07:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Sta
Private

Originally Posted by Myomoto View Post
The thing about nano machines is that they're teeny tiny, and they're often capable of self-replication.

Now imagine this: Every medic carries an advanced 'nanite pack' on his back. This device has the ability to send out a 'cloud' of nano machines (an aura surrounding the medic, sort of like a stink cloud), and when friendly troops inhale these nano machines will enter directly into their bloodstream, the ideal place to distribute them throughout the rest of their body so that the nanobots can repair any tissue damage, etc.

Now, the 'nanite pack' contains the materials necessary to make more nanobots after having released its current contents, but it takes time to construct a new set of nanobots to release as another cloud.
That sounds like an episode of star trek
Old 2012-02-24, 08:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
ThGlump
Captain

Imagine medic on top of a tower. At the base of tower is huge battle. Other class put ammo box next to medic (mentioned to be in), and medic spamming healing and res grenades down from the tower = tower of immortal defenders
Old 2012-02-24, 08:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Aurmanite
Captain

Brink had a fantastic medic system. It involved medics throwing needles at downed soldiers who would have to apply it in order to be revived, and throwing dart like healing...sticks.

Something like this could work extremely well in Planetside.
Old 2012-02-24, 08:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Sta
Private

Imagine medic on top of a tower. At the base of tower is huge battle. Other class put ammo box next to medic (mentioned to be in), and medic spamming healing and res grenades down from the tower = tower of immortal defenders
sniper gets his head
Old 2012-02-24, 08:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Myomoto
Private

Originally Posted by Sta View Post
edit:
The "grenade" idea to revive ppl was probably inspired by the defibrillator which we know from bf.. So they probably gonna look like emp granades...
But the defibrillators in BF3 are stupid because of three simple reasons:

One, you don't use a defibrillator to 'restart' somebody's heart (i.e. returning it from a 'flat-line' to a regular sinus rhythm as you see in the movies/medical dramas). You would most likely use an adrenaline injection for this, which would still provide you with that dramatic 'sudden return from the dead'.

Two, the cure to having your brains blown out by a sniper rifle isn't to restart the patient's heart

Thirdly, the fact that you can defib somebody by touching their boots with your shock paddles, and magically bring them back from the dead is just straight up silly.
Old 2012-02-24, 08:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
Erendil
First Lieutenant

Im fine with new ideas. I just want 2 things from it:
  • No instant res (BF3 shit style)
  • No super healing (stronger than incoming damage) (tf2 style)

Agreed.

The thing about nano machines is that they're teeny tiny, and they're often capable of self-replication.

Now imagine this: Every medic carries an advanced 'nanite pack' on his back. This device has the ability to send out a 'cloud' of nano machines (an aura surrounding the medic, sort of like a stink cloud), and when friendly troops inhale these nano machines will enter directly into their bloodstream, the ideal place to distribute them throughout the rest of their body so that the nanobots can repair any tissue damage, etc.

Now, the 'nanite pack' contains the materials necessary to make more nanobots after having released its current contents, but it takes time to construct a new set of nanobots to release as another cloud.

I'm okay with healing fields so long as I, as an enemy combatant, can throw a Jammer grenade into that nanite cloud to destroy it and stop its effects.

I'm fine with them implementing outside-the-box healing like rez grenades and healing fields, but they need to make sure they balance these aspects of each skill/item:
  • Power
  • Time to take effect
  • Risk to the user
  • frequency of use / number of uses
  • Avalilable counters for the enemy

For example:

Rez Grenade: You toss out a small headcrab-like robot device that attaches itself to the nearest friendly corpse and injects a nanite stream into the body, allowing it to revive your fallen comrade.
  • Power - High power, it can resurrect someone
  • Time to take effect - takes several seconds, much slower than using a "traditional" med app to Rez someone at point blank
  • Risk to the user - None, it's self-guiding and you can use it while you're hiding behind cover, attacking other enemies, etc
  • Frequency of use / number of uses - one use per nade, limited number of nades in inventory
  • Avalilable counters for the enemy - enemy forces can shoot the headcrab-bot or use a jammer on it to prevent the rez

Last edited by Erendil; 2012-02-24 at 08:52 PM.
Old 2012-02-24, 08:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
CutterJohn
Colonel

But the defibrillators in BF3 are stupid because of three simple reasons:

One, you don't use a defibrillator to 'restart' somebody's heart (i.e. returning it from a 'flat-line' to a regular sinus rhythm as you see in the movies/medical dramas). You would most likely use an adrenaline injection for this, which would still provide you with that dramatic 'sudden return from the dead'.

Two, the cure to having your brains blown out by a sniper rifle isn't to restart the patient's heart

Thirdly, the fact that you can defib somebody by touching their boots with your shock paddles, and magically bring them back from the dead is just straight up silly.
WHOA! Whoa. Whoa. Whoa. Whoa. Whoa..

Whoa..

Are you saying that.. video games are unrealistic?

My whole life is a lie...

I like the heal grenade idea. More tools for healing sounds great.

AOE heals are bad and for MMORPGs only? Good god, someone should go tell the lodestar that.
Old 2012-02-24, 08:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
ThGlump
Captain

Since there is FF on. Should aoe heal, res and their grenade variants effect enemies? If you gun can kill friendlies, could you heal enemies, or even res them with your area effect "spells" if you arent careful enough?
If yes you should get griefs for it.
Old 2012-02-24, 08:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
CutterJohn
Colonel

Since there is FF on. Should aoe heal, res and their grenade variants effect enemies? If you gun can kill friendlies, could you heal enemies, or even res them with your area effect "spells" if you arent careful enough?
I'd be down with that. Nanite non discrimination pact!
Old 2012-02-24, 09:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Myomoto
Private

I vote in favour of turning the nanites into flesh eating miniature monstrosities when they come into contact with enemy soldiers!

In the webcast, they mentioned how one of your grenades would be a quick throw, and the other would be an equip grenade. Based on that, I wonder if they'd include more classically 'deployable' items in the class grenade slots, i.e. the healing grenade wouldn't actually be thrown, it would just be a small beacon that you place on the ground.
Old 2012-02-24, 09:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
ShadoViper
Staff Sergeant

Sounds like a good idea. Interested to see how it works in beta.
Old 2012-02-24, 10:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
Alduron
Sergeant

Did they turn medic class into mage class? Using SKILL to aoe heal and reviving? If its there i really hope its some sort of deployable, or consumable and not some lousy skill. And of course reviving should take some time. This aoe revive sounds like instant.

Also did i hear correctly about healing and reviving GRENADES? (healing/reviving at distance). That also looks like that reviving dont take any time.
I'm not sure what you're getting at with the "mage" comment. In PS1 you could deconstruct, fly across bases and reconstruct at a different base. Seems a bit more "mage-y" to me than tossing a grenade loaded with healing nanites.

I think it adds a whole other level of depth to the game. The heal tool left a lot to be desired when attempting to heal 9 squad mates under fire. I welcome the idea of more versatile healing tools, personally.
Old 2012-02-24, 11:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
ratfusion
Corporal

I think aoe healing and some form of fast reviving are great gameplay elements. It certainly beats following the minimap to find your victim just in time for him to respawn anyhow. Or making the medic the least desirable class by spending the whole game with a short ranged heal stick out.

With respawn tubes that can rebuild you in seconds, it shouldn't be too much of a stretch to explain these in the fluff.
Old 2012-02-24, 11:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
WaryWizard
Sergeant

the aoe heal grenade i can deal with. It would just be the stuff in a healing gun in explosive form. I think it should also maybe heal enemies(they have friendly fire so positives should effect enemies as well)

The aoe revive grenade seems odd to me(never played the first so idk how revive worked). I think some other type of grenade should be used. Maybe one that can be used in an offensive manner(like a leech grenade).
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion