Infiltrator == schizo class? - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: COMING SOON: HAMMA 2.0
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-05-05, 06:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
CutterJohn
Colonel

Re: Infiltrator == schizo class?

Originally Posted by The Kush View Post
That is exactly why third person shouldn't be allowed for any class. It gives you a view you normally wouldn't have
How do you live without a neck?
Old 2012-05-05, 08:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
Figment
Lieutenant General

Rozonus, infiltration cannot be done in teams. But you clearly don't ever play as an infil. Your loss. Also, why don't you try playing infantry without a mouse? I hear you only need a keyboard...

Aircraft do not need third person as much as infiltrators and ground vehicles. Ground vehicles need to know if they hit a rock, why they are stuck, if their gunners are at the right angle and they cannot fly upside down, which air can while also being more agile to get new perspectives. Yet aircav gets 3rd person? They need it least!
Old 2012-05-05, 08:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
Raka Maru
Major

Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
Who needs an ams or router when there is squad spawning?

Gone are the days of lone solo cloakers... in with cloaking teams that are insanely hard to uproot because you cant find and kill em all fast enough.
If this is the reason the AMS is gone, to force teamwork, then it has it's flaws already.

AMS was vital for stealth FOB, until it became the only one left. Something to defend, something to protect and hide again when found. If I'm not in your squad, will I know you are a spawn point? Will the squad leader need bodyguards or have to hang back trying not to die for the good of the team? What use is squad spawning for the empire if I'm not in your squad? If the squad leader is a jerk, do I want to be in your squad? Will SL invite everyone around so they can spawn on him?

I don't think you can compare the AMS role to a spawn point squad member.
Old 2012-05-05, 08:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
Figment
Lieutenant General

Squad spawning is nothing like kaos describes. Hart droppods are not indoor battlefield style spawning.
Old 2012-05-05, 09:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by Rozonus View Post
You don't need to look over your shoulder, that's what squad mates are for! If you want to hack something by yourself, do it at your own risk.

On another note, SOE seem to have remembered the MMO part of MMOFPS a bit more this time round. I don't think there will be as many occasions where Infiltrators will be using lone-wolf tactics to enter buildings like they do in PS1. Why would I want to enter a base solo and play PS2 like a single player game when I can work as a team with my friends and support each other?! Hmm, guess I'm in the wrong thread here...
People need to stop saying this. It's so stupid.

Playing an MMO solo doesn't remotely resemble a single-player game experience and in fact, MMOs accommodate solo gameplay more than nearly any other multiplayer game, due to the sheer scale and unique gameplay dynamics.

Of all the games where having to hump the legs of your 9 bestest chums is forced upon you, having it in Planetside would make some of the least sense I've seen in a long time (actually I take that back, I've seen a lot of nonsense lately).

Last edited by Vancha; 2012-05-05 at 11:33 AM.
Old 2012-05-05, 01:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
headcrab13
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Rozonus View Post
You don't need to look over your shoulder, that's what squad mates are for! If you want to hack something by yourself, do it at your own risk.
Guess you've never played an Infiltrator. Or never been in a situation where your squad got killed and you were able to hack the terminal at the last second, with a group of enemies bearing down on your position.

Point is, sometimes you NEED to hack something by yourself, and I dislike the rigid concept that "I need to stare directly at this hack terminal for exactly 20 seconds without moving my eyes or body in order to be successful."
Old 2012-05-05, 02:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
Red Ketchup
Private

Originally Posted by headcrab13 View Post
Point is, sometimes you NEED to hack something by yourself, and I dislike the rigid concept that "I need to stare directly at this hack terminal for exactly 20 seconds without moving my eyes or body in order to be successful."
They could make hacking similar to sapping in Team Fortress 2. The infiltrator would attach a vulnerable gadget to the terminal. If that gadget isn't removed or destroyed after "n" seconds, the terminal is hacked. During that time the infiltrator is free to do whatever it takes to defend his gadget.
Old 2012-05-05, 02:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Raka Maru
Major

Originally Posted by Red Ketchup View Post
They could make hacking similar to sapping in Team Fortress 2. The infiltrator would attach a vulnerable gadget to the terminal. If that gadget isn't removed or destroyed after "n" seconds, the terminal is hacked. During that time the infiltrator is free to do whatever it takes to defend his gadget.
Now THIS idea I like!
Old 2012-05-05, 02:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
laelgon
Corporal

I like that idea as well, as long as it is done right. It needs to take a few seconds to plant, maybe 3 or 4. That way people don't simply run by and instantly start hacking in the middle of a firefight, forcing people to constantly turn and shoot the device instead of being able to focus on attackers. Also, I would put some limit on how many of the hacking devices a player can carry, again to prevent spamming of the devices.
Old 2012-05-05, 03:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
headcrab13
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Red Ketchup View Post
Interesting! I like this idea as well. It would add a new dynamic to hacking if a single bullet could destroy the gadget.

I don't mind the vulnerability of having to hack it yourself, if that's how they decide to implement it, but this automated hacking gadget might be an interesting sidegrade for the Infiltrator class.

Maybe the gadget would take longer to do the job but would free up the Inf to plant explosives or ambush incoming defenders?
Old 2012-05-05, 04:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Two REKs:

One is the good ole Don't-heal-me-bro! REK.

The other is the one that you plant like a Boomer.

Old 2012-05-05, 04:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
NCLynx
Major

Originally Posted by Sobekeus View Post
Two REKs:

One is the good ole Don't-heal-me-bro! REK.

The other is the one that you plant like a Boomer.
The boomer-esque one would have to take longer though. Something like that, not saying that's the drawback that it HAS to be but there would have to be some benefit to actually hacking it yourself.

SuperTroopers is recruiting for PS2!
Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Really? You need to take a few steps back and think before posting drivel like this. Either reply constructively or don't reply.
Old 2012-05-05, 04:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
Figment
Lieutenant General

Automation would remove the excitement and tension of being in a completely vulnerable position and would again put more focus on assassin and combative roles... :/

Just provide situational awareness, a stealthy approach and spawning spot to remain as unpredictable and flexible as possible. Don't make combat easier, please, vulnerability keeps you sharp and stimulates coming up with imaginative strategies. I already felt op in combat fighting people that do not check for infils. The challenge in ps1 was just right, prior to expert hacking and data corruption. I used a magscat pistoo, why should I get the direct opposite, a sniper rifle?
Old 2012-05-05, 06:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
Raka Maru
Major

The thing is, I don't see the Devs ever giving 3rd person view to any soldiers for good reason...

The hacker device doesn't have to take away from the presence of the hacker, he should be in proximity enough just to be able to turn around and be aware while the counter ticks off.
Old 2012-05-05, 06:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
Rozonus
Private

Originally Posted by headcrab13 View Post
Guess you've never played an Infiltrator. Or never been in a situation where your squad got killed and you were able to hack the terminal at the last second, with a group of enemies bearing down on your position.
Of course I did, and probably everyone that played PS1 has been in that situation at one time. The point of hacking is that it always has the risk of being interrupted. If you can look around while you hack it's just as bad as using 3rd person to look round corners or waiting for enemy players to run up the stairs in a tower. I could just about tolerate 3rd person for vehicles but using it in a first person shooter is just wrong to me. Now that first person is the only view for infantry, everyone is on a level playing field. Sure, you can still wait round a corner to try and ambush enemies, but now they have a better chance to defend themselves because you'll see each other at the same time.

This is not PS1 with an HD texture pack, it's a different game with the gameplay designs aimed at pleasing the majority of today's FPS player base. I hate the idea of a tank driver controlling the turret but that's how it is in PS2 so I've accepted it rather than expecting them to change it. There's no point dwelling on it because we're just going to have to get used to the new game.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion