Melee Cert Tree? - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Play with fire, you get burned
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-06-03, 04:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Kriegson
Master Sergeant

Re: Melee Cert Tree?

Two things should be able to cert into melee imo. Infils and MAX's.

Why MAX's? Because getting hit with an MAX is akin to getting hit with a truck. It should damn well hurt.
Old 2012-06-03, 05:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Sabot
Second Lieutenant

shouldnt being run over by a sundy with with ram count as melee?
Old 2012-06-03, 06:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
That one noob
Sergeant

I would gladly trade in my sniper rifle for a ninjato.
Just so I could live out my childhood fantasy of being Snake Eyes.

Old 2012-06-03, 06:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
The noob
Corporal

Well, the melee booster certifications were in the infiltrator tree as seen in the video, so boosting your melee or unlocking the ability to backstab would likely be something only they can do, so they can specialize in melee if they wish to. They can swap out their primary weapons for a longer lasting, more transparent cloak as stated in the video, so it makes sense.
Old 2012-06-03, 08:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Antivide
Corporal

I'm getting Commando Pro flashbacks.

NOOO, NOT THIS AGAAAAAIN. THEY'RE IN THE TREES.
Old 2012-06-03, 11:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
JHendy
First Sergeant

Imagine a being locked into a close quarters tower fight with a bludgeoning-arm equipped MAX unit.

The simplicity of a heavy steel ball on the end of a mechanical arm really does belie the horror of its function.

Makes me think of the flame throwing tanks of WW2. Simple in design but truly disturbing in function.
Old 2012-06-04, 12:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
Shotokanguy
Corporal

I hope I have options, regardless of class.

If I'm running around in my Rexo and all I have is a rocket launcher, I'm going to be reluctant to fire that at point blank range. Let me bust out a quick series of punches or knife slashes to fend off those annoying Vanu and TR getting in my face.
Old 2012-06-04, 12:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
GreatMazinkaise
Captain

Originally Posted by Shotokanguy View Post

If I'm running around in my Rexo and all I have is a rocket launcher, I'm going to be reluctant to fire that at point blank range. Let me bust out a quick series of punches or knife slashes to fend off those annoying Vanu and TR getting in my face.
Well, I'm sure they'll still let you use the MAG Cutter regardless of class, but you're probably better off switching to your Gauss Rifle, even at that range.

Knife dueling was not unpopular back in the day, but it's not something you want to do in a serious fight.
Old 2012-06-04, 06:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #39
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

Originally Posted by GreatMazinkaise View Post
Well, I'm sure they'll still let you use the MAG Cutter regardless of class, but you're probably better off switching to your Gauss Rifle, even at that range.

Knife dueling was not unpopular back in the day, but it's not something you want to do in a serious fight.
If a max is swinging a steel ball through the air then the force generated should be like getting hit with a small artillery round. MAXs are big and strong, that steel ball could be a hundred pounds and being swung with a thousand pounds of force. This could break a lightning, or with a couple of shots tear open a mbt.
Melee MAX should be in.
Old 2012-06-04, 06:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #40
The noob
Corporal

Originally Posted by Sledgecrushr View Post
If a max is swinging a steel ball through the air then the force generated should be like getting hit with a small artillery round. MAXs are big and strong, that steel ball could be a hundred pounds and being swung with a thousand pounds of force. This could break a lightning, or with a couple of shots tear open a mbt.
Melee MAX should be in.
Well, you do have duel flame thrower maxes, so that's the closest comparison at the very least.
Old 2012-06-04, 06:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #41
Biscuit
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Shotokanguy View Post

Go Batter up Style on your enemies skull with the back end of the rocket launcher?

Options indeed
Old 2012-06-04, 06:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #42
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

Flame throwers are point blank anti infantry weapons. Probably not good against heavies and probably worthless on other MAXs. I hope if not now then in the future that they will include a robust melee system.
Edit* it doesnt even have to be robust, a shield to block on one arm and a melee with your other. The weapon skins and animations, it would take a bit of time but worth it in this sci fi world imho.

Last edited by Sledgecrushr; 2012-06-04 at 06:33 AM.
Old 2012-06-04, 12:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
Kilmoran
Staff Sergeant

As someone who has taken much time within the field of melee... I have to say that I am excited about how it will evolve. I feel PS 1, for the most part, did it right. I do with I could throw my knife a short distance at times, but the knife was never truly meant to be a primary weapon. In PS 2, it may just be. There are many, many reasons to bring a knife to a gun fight... but that does not mean a knife is equal to said gun if used in the exact same circumstances. Just a like a mine is not equal to a gun, depending on the circumstances either.
Old 2012-06-04, 12:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
Satexios
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Kilmoran View Post
As someone who has taken much time within the field of melee... I have to say that I am excited about how it will evolve. I feel PS 1, for the most part, did it right. I do with I could throw my knife a short distance at times, but the knife was never truly meant to be a primary weapon. In PS 2, it may just be. There are many, many reasons to bring a knife to a gun fight... but that does not mean a knife is equal to said gun if used in the exact same circumstances. Just a like a mine is not equal to a gun, depending on the circumstances either.
In other words, watch your back
Old 2012-06-04, 12:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
Blue
Private

Having a skill tree for melee is sort of a must IMO because there will be one for everything else in the game. I think having a couple side grades (silent chain blade) etc. could be cool. I don't expect to see many people playing as only melee characters. There were many many times that I was in/around an enemy base using boomers or scatterpistol and ran out of ammo so had to switch to knife.

If they make it so that a specialized melee soldier has specific hitboxes for silent takedowns etc, and any time of "quick knife" would be barely damaging to an armored soldier, I think it would eliminate knife trolls and create a unique dynamic in the game.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion