this is disconcerting... - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Hand-built by robots.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-08-04, 11:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
GreatMazinkaise
Captain

Re: this is disconcerting...

One of the things I wish SOE adds to heavy mounted MGs and base wall turrets is a screen shake everytime you fire to simulate how powerful the weapons actually are
If you've fired an HMG on top of a buggy in BF3 I think you'll understand where I'm getting at
This is exactly the kind of shit that *SHOULD NOT* feature in any shooter unless it's optional. Battlefield buggies shake like a Parkinson's patient in a hardware store paint mixer and it's fucking nauseating...

A common rage-inducing complaint with PS2 right now is that there's heavy screen blur while ADSing the LMGs making it near impossible to hit anything with them.

No, I shall stand! Sitting is for the weak and feeble.

Last edited by GreatMazinkaise; 2012-08-04 at 11:35 PM.
Old 2012-08-04, 11:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
SturmovikDrakon
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by GreatMazinkaise View Post
This is exactly the kind of shit that *SHOULD NOT* feature in any shooter unless it's optional. Battlefield buggies shake like a Parkinson's patient in a hardware store paint mixer and it's fucking nauseating...
Important part is they felt powerful and you could still aim fine

At the moment, things like engineer MGs feel extremely bland

the first minute of the video. is this not what a mounted HMG supposed to feel like?

Last edited by SturmovikDrakon; 2012-08-04 at 11:41 PM.
Old 2012-08-04, 11:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
GreatMazinkaise
Captain

Originally Posted by SturmovikDrakon View Post
Important part is they felt powerful and you could still aim fine

At the moment, things like engineer MGs feel extremely bland
Maybe they fixed it after Bad Company 2... (you did say BF3 after all), but riding in those things was a mess and it may well have been the buggy shaking and not the gun. The Marauder bounced around a bit, but not like that.

Old 2012-08-05, 12:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
Flaropri
Sergeant Major

A common rage-inducing complaint with PS2 right now is that there's heavy screen blur while ADSing the LMGs making it near impossible to hit anything with them.
Well, supposedly SOE are doing their best to have a lot of visual options and settings, hopefully that will include disabling/reducing blur (indeed that's pretty common in FPS games). I'm pretty sure they've mostly been using high-end systems and settings for demos and Higby's streams, and of course it depends on how they optimize things with the Tech Test ending.
Old 2012-08-05, 12:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
Revanmug
Sergeant

Maybe they fixed it after Bad Company 2... (you did say BF3 after all), but riding in those things was a mess and it may well have been the buggy shaking and not the gun. The Marauder bounced around a bit, but not like that.
nope, the .50 cal on all buggies are still terrible. That vid might make you think he is firing a very powerful gun but in reality, it got 0 precision and it's a dead trap against any infantry (and everything else...) worth it's salt for the simple reason that... he can easily kill you before you land the 3-4 hit markers needed.
Old 2012-08-05, 12:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
GreatMazinkaise
Captain

Originally Posted by Revanmug View Post
nope, the .50 cal on all buggies are still terrible. That vid might make you think he is firing a very powerful gun but in reality, it got 0 precision and it's a dead trap against any infantry (and everything else...) worth it's salt for the simple reason that... he can easily kill you before you land the 3-4 hit markers needed.
Yeah, that looks terrible. Fuck screen shake; I know the relative power of the weapon by looking at its bloody spreadsheet and what it does to the people he's shooting at.

Old 2012-08-05, 12:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
Tehroth
Corporal

If the combat and gun mechanics feel like BF3 then I will be fine. As long as they keep other features from ps1 in and don't dumb the game down. Combat mechanics the one of the most important parts of an fps and getting that down right is solid.
Old 2012-08-05, 01:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
Arcsilver
Private

Honestly why does everyone look down upon someone when they compare it to COD? What is with the hate to CoDs audience....its like you guys think cod is a major failure...its not.... if you honestly think cod is a failure then you're delusional, you may not like it but its such a well known successful franchise.
Old 2012-08-05, 02:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #39
Shylan
Private

Yeah, that looks terrible. Fuck screen shake; I know the relative power of the weapon by looking at its bloody spreadsheet and what it does to the people he's shooting at.
The amount of screen shake from that gun is just fine. It gives the impression of heavy recoil from a mounted weapon while standing up. Of course you're not going to get the same visual stability as if you were lying prone with it or something.

Have a look at how much the recoil of an M249 light machine gun shakes its gunner when fired from a standing position, even when braced against it. And the M249 fires only .223 caliber rounds; not even .50 caliber.

Last edited by Shylan; 2012-08-05 at 02:11 AM.
Old 2012-08-05, 05:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #40
Lantis
Private

Originally Posted by Arcsilver View Post
Honestly why does everyone look down upon someone when they compare it to COD? What is with the hate to CoDs audience....its like you guys think cod is a major failure...its not.... if you honestly think cod is a failure then you're delusional, you may not like it but its such a well known successful franchise.
I would believe most people's dislike of that sort of comparison would stem from not wanting Planetside 2, a game quite a few of us have been hoping would one day exist for around 9 years now, to devolve into the ridiculous run and gun playstyle of CoD. Any comparison between the two would make most people wary of the level of similarity they're going for.

Many of us would also prefer that the level of immaturity inherent to the CoD community would stay as far away from Planetside 2 as possible.

I don't think anyone's disputed the success of the franchise. However much of that success comes from exploiting that immature community by releasing 'sequels' that are essentially just the previous game repackaged while incrementing the number.
Old 2012-08-05, 05:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #41
Snipefrag
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Why do people have hissy fits when someone mentions CoD or battlefield, if we took for first 4 words off of that quote would you have come in here and made such a pointless thread?:

"players want to play a game where the weapons feel good, where the combat feels snappy, it feels twitchy, it feels exciting, and it feels legitimate. The weapon that I'm firing feels like a weapon. It doesn't feel like some floaty Nerf gun or something. I feel the impact, I hear the sound of the impact. I see the animation from it. We're building our game to follow that also. It would be way easier if we were just making guys running around with lasers and not worrying about that mechanic, but we're spending a ton of time on the weapons. We're spending so much time iterating that gun feeling that I think we will be able to capture those people who are used to playing a triple-A FPS. Because they're not playing a compromised FPS experience when they play PlanetSide 2."
Old 2012-08-05, 06:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #42
ringring
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by NoDachi View Post
Because it's stopping people 'prove' what you're saying is rubbish. So instead we have to suffer tedious circle arguments from whiners.
It doesn't do anything of the kind. What makes you think he isn't in the tech test?
Old 2012-08-05, 06:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #43
Memeotis
Staff Sergeant

... ... ... Really? I used to think that killstreak rewards was the worst thing that CoD introduced into the genre, but now it's becoming obvious that in fact it's only in second place. So many people nowadays seem to have mindlessly hopped onto the CoD hate-train, for no other reason that so many other people say they hate it. Form your own fucking thoughts.

Just because a game is bad does not mean that EVERYTHING about said game is bad. Brink was a bad game, but it had some amazing elements. I think Battlefield 3 is a bad game, but I certainly recognize that it, too, has some brilliant things going on. Have you ever taken a second and asked yourself: If there is so much hate for Call of Duty, how come it's so successful? When Call of Duty first came out, it had no such thing as killstreaks, but it was still one of the most successful titles (and at that time a really good game), why? The feel of the guns and the amazing sound. Call of Duty 2 is one of my favorite games of all time, because the whole experience felt unbelievably smooth, and because one-click-to-activate killstreaks didn't exist yet, everything that happened in that game was skill vs. skill. It was an even playing field where good players didn't become progressively better with UAV, chopper gunner, air-strikes, etc.

If PS2 manages to get anywhere close to how shooting feels in CoD, it will be a good thing.
Old 2012-08-05, 06:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #44
Slide Surveyor
Corporal

Originally Posted by Bittermen View Post
Umm how is this disconcerting in anyway? CoD is not a bad game. It's just been milked to death and it's player base consists of 12 year old homophobs.
If its been milked to death and its playerbase consists of 12 year old homophobs, then i'd say CoD is a bad game.
Old 2012-08-05, 06:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #45
RageMasterUK
Corporal

If it was a bad game it wouldn't have been milked to death.

-RageMasterUK
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion