Could BFRs work better with the new resource system? - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Will this be available on 3.5"?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-03-15, 03:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #46
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

Re: Could BFRs work better with the new resource system?

Originally Posted by Vancha View Post
ATV's fill the role of a bipedal scout? Really?

ATV's fill a vehicular AV role, as does Aircav, Lightnings and MBTs. Why is the highly maneuverable scout niche restricted to exactly two vehicles?

Heck, I don't necessarily want mechs to fill that role, I just don't understand the logic...
you italicized the wrong word.

A scout is a scout, it doesn't have to be bipedal. A scout just has to be fast and provide radar/spotting information.

The ATV is the fastest vehicle and AirCav will be the fastest plane. Why would a bipedal scout be more useful then those since it would likely be slower?
Old 2012-03-15, 03:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
RNFB
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by basti View Post
Dont you understand that a walking unit of their size simply doesnt work?.
How do you know this?
Old 2012-03-15, 03:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
BloodySoul
Corporal

OMG, if they are going to add BFR's to this game then they better have a respawn timer of 2 Days or I will take a Gundam and smash it with a hammer every time I get killed by one.
Old 2012-03-15, 03:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
Aurmanite
Captain

No Uber units by any name, for any 'cost'.

I don't see a place for walkers in Planetside, but I wouldn't be opposed to them so long as they weren't stupidly powerful.

Last edited by Aurmanite; 2012-03-15 at 03:13 PM.
Old 2012-03-15, 03:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
Sifer2
Major

We discussed this in a few topics earlier in the year. One of the problems that came up was if they were indeed rare then how do you decide who gets to pilot it? If its outfit only equipment then I guess they could decide who they trust with the keys. It definitely couldn't be handed out to random joe's though or they might decide to get it blown up on purpose just for lulz, and handicap their faction.

If implemented with care though I think that it could be a cool feature to add to the game that would give resources even more value. Another similar feature I have though of would be something like Battlefield 2142's Titans. Requiring tons of resources perhaps from multiple outfits working together to build.
Old 2012-03-15, 03:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
BuzzCutPsycho
Sergeant Major

The mere mention of BFRs will drive people away.
Old 2012-03-15, 03:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
DaddyTickles
Sergeant

Originally Posted by RNFB View Post
How do you know this?
Because we played the game. BFRs suck. If you love mechs thats fantastic, but they have NO place in PS2.
Old 2012-03-15, 03:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by ArmedZealot View Post
you italicized the wrong word.
No I didn't.

The ATV is the fastest vehicle and AirCav will be the fastest plane. Why would a bipedal scout be more useful then those since it would likely be slower?
I believe it was maneuverability in question, not pure speed. Why would something with a higher view of the battlefield be a better scout? I think the question answers itself. Add to that the possibility of it being stealthier than an ATV, or possibly having better radar/tracking/informational equipment and that's just for starters (I imagine it'd have better AA than an ATV, too). Use some imagination and you could probably come up with plenty of different ways to separate it from both ATVs and aircav.

Last edited by Vancha; 2012-03-15 at 03:43 PM.
Old 2012-03-15, 03:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
Tom Peters
Master Sergeant

No I didn't.
Last edited by Vancha; Today at 03:30 PM.
Old 2012-03-15, 03:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by Tom Peters View Post
Last edited by Vancha; Today at 03:30 PM.
Thirty five minutes before he posted. What's your point?
Old 2012-03-15, 03:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #56
RNFB
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by DaddyTickles View Post
Because we played the game.
You played PlanetSide 2? With BFRs?

Oh.
Old 2012-03-15, 04:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #57
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

I believe it was maneuverability in question, not pure speed. Why would something with a higher view of the battlefield be a better scout? I think the question answers itself. Add to that the possibility of it being stealthier than an ATV, or possibly having better radar/tracking/informational equipment and that's just for starters (I imagine it'd have better AA than an ATV, too). Use some imagination and you could probably come up with plenty of different ways to separate it from both ATVs and aircav.
Radar.

Why does maneuverability matter in scouting? Speed is what counts. In and out. It's why the SR-71 was successful till satellites.

Why not just offer a sensor package to AirCav instead of making a gimmick vehicle?

The ATV is just useful because anyone can use the damned thing.
Old 2012-03-15, 04:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #58
Vancha
Colonel

Radar.

Why does maneuverability matter in scouting? Speed is what counts. In and out. It's why the SR-71 was successful till satellites.
Speed is not the only thing that counts. Cloakers can scout without speed, snipers can scout without speed. Maneuverability helps you get to good positions.

Why not just offer a sensor package to AirCav instead of making a gimmick vehicle?

The ATV is just useful because anyone can use the damned thing.
Why not just offer the sunderer's abilities to the Galaxy instead of making a gimmick vehicle? Oh, because they gave it enough roles to warrant it's existence...

Is that the only reason the ATV's useful? We don't know what benefits it might bring in PS2, but if it's noob-friendliness is the only thing it ends up having going for it, don't you think that's a problem to be fixed rather than just shrugging and going "oh well"?
Old 2012-03-15, 04:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #59
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

Speed is not the only thing that counts. Cloakers can scout without speed, snipers can scout without speed. Maneuverability helps you get to good positions.

Why not just offer the sunderer's abilities to the Galaxy instead of making a gimmick vehicle? Oh, because they gave it enough roles to warrant it's existence...

Is that the only reason the ATV's useful? We don't know what benefits it might bring in PS2, but if it's noob-friendliness is the only thing it ends up having going for it, don't you think that's a problem to be fixed rather than just shrugging and going "oh well"?
Well if you want to make a cloaking scout bfr thats all up to you. Or a sniping one even eesh.

I thought the sundy was going to get some AMS-ability?

ATV's are fast and cheap. Other than that they were fairly useless. Noob friendly was good. It's a good vehicle to put noobs in and thats all it really needed to be since getting from one fight to the next could be difficult without fast transport.

Last edited by ArmedZealot; 2012-03-15 at 04:59 PM.
Old 2012-03-15, 05:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #60
Rumblepit
Second Lieutenant

I WANT WINGS!!!!!!! http://www.gametrailers.com/video/fl...uest-ii/725656
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion