Planetside 2: High Graphics or High Frames per Second? - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Tastes Great!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-08-10, 06:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #46
Toppopia
Major

Re: Planetside 2: High Graphics or High Frames per Second?

On my current computer, i can play games on lowest settings, except for view distance. but i keep resolution at maximum, so this is Borderlands, Just Cause 2, Red Orchestra 2 etc. So i am hoping to beable to stay on max resolution, or i will turn it onto maybe 1200x800. Any lower and i would probably be at a disadvantage but might even still play at 800x600. So i prefer high framerate over graphics.
Old 2012-08-10, 06:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #47
Sunrock
Major

Originally Posted by Noctis View Post
-Whats your opinion about Frame Per Second impact on gameplay?
-Are you going to lower your settings even if the game runs smoothly? And have you ever done this before in other games?
-Do you think certain things only apply in common FPS round based games, and it will get lost among the hundreds of players fighting?
Well its true that the human eye or I should say the human brain can't presses more then 30 FPS. However the game code gives a fuck about what you see on the monitor. Having a higher FPS will help you with your accuracy in the game as having a high FPS will actually help your game client to communicate what the game code is communicating between different clients. IE, it will sync up better.

It's always a good idea to have best posible FPS when PvPing. But I think it's still playable if you have 25+ FPS if every one else have that too. It's when you have 25 FPS and your opponent have 125 FPS you will start to get into a disadvantage.

The 3rd point you make is really situational. But yes some times you will get killed because you where 0.01sec slower at aiming then your opponent no matter if its 1 Vs 1 or 1 million Vs 1 million. And if you have low FPS and your opponent faster you might aim faster without your game client knows about it.
Old 2012-08-10, 06:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #48
VikingPignvin
Private

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
I think turning shit off to gain the best advantage possible is probably one of the stupidest things that exist in online gaming. I have settings as high as possible I like my games to look good the way they were intended and it bugs me people turn off everything to gain advantages.
A good example for this is arma 2 in my opinion. So for example you have full setting you see the bushes/grass farther away than a person with medium settings. If you turn this down its much easier to spot farther away enemies, your pc doesnt render their coer etc.
Old 2012-08-10, 07:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #49
Fanglord
Sergeant

I jerk about in blacklight in 25fps an still come top most of time time, If i could max the gfx i would. I understand that devs need to make the game accessible to older computers else they would loose alot of players; however, it does annoy me when there are options that effect gameplay that can be turned off to get an 'fps boost/advantage'. Especially when I find that things that don't affect the gameplay too much like shadow particle density make the biggest improvement to fps (okay maybe not the latter... but in blacklight it just turns smoke opaque, so in fact makes it worse :S lol )
Old 2012-08-10, 07:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #50
Duskguy
Staff Sergeant

ill have a new computer running 8 cores, 8 gigs of ram but only a 1 gig nvidea 550ti, so hopefully ill be able to run 40-50 fps while running decent graphics.

i personally like seeing most, though not all effects, ill turn some things off or tune them down if possible, such as water reflection and water wave effects...those are pointless in a shooter imo, who sits there looking at their reflection and the waves in the water? and some of the bloom or explosion graphics sem like they are unnessecary. and seeing as i've been on an xbox for 5 years, the frame rates being better than 30 AND having good graphics is a nice change.
Old 2012-08-10, 07:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #51
Fanglord
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Duskguy View Post
ill have a new computer running 8 cores, 8 gigs of ram but only a 1 gig nvidea 550ti, so hopefully ill be able to run 40-50 fps while running decent graphics.

i personally like seeing most, though not all effects, ill turn some things off or tune them down if possible, such as water reflection and water wave effects...those are pointless in a shooter imo, who sits there looking at their reflection and the waves in the water? and some of the bloom or explosion graphics sem like they are unnessecary. and seeing as i've been on an xbox for 5 years, the frame rates being better than 30 AND having good graphics is a nice change.
If you havn't already bought it, don't. Go intel - unless planet is side is gonna use more than 2/3 cores which most games currently don't, the whole 8 core thing is pretty useless.
Old 2012-08-10, 07:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #52
AThreatToYou
Major

If Forgelight doesn't use 4 cores, this game is going have a really bad time. A really bad time. In development by the time shit storebought PCs have quad-core processors... this game needs to use 4 cores with all the stuff its tracking in real-time.
Compare the difference in performance between CryEngine 2 and CryEngine 3. CryEngine 3 performs dramatically better on quad-core systems because it will actually use 4 cores and CryEngine 2 is dramatically more bottlenecked because it's really only using 1 core for the game and then 1 core for physics and some other low-level, meaningless things. Not only that, but I'm pretty sure CryEngine 3 looks better and performs better.

To keep on this discussion, what is more important to the user than 30 or 60 FPS is stable FPS. A jittery FPS throws a player off way more than the sheer visual difference between the frames they jitter between. We can understand that PlanetSide 2 will have to use a fairly aggressive LOD system, but I hope it doesn't use one that is too aggressive or is forced upon the player as such. If the LOD system is too aggressive, the frames can get really unstable depending on where the player is looking which would just be all-around bad. If it isn't aggressive enough, we'll all be stuck with something like 15 FPS (lol). Both are bad, however I don't so much want good frames as I want smooth frames, kind of why being at or above 60 FPS is such a big deal... if you go above 60, your frames can jitter around as much as they want and there will never be a difference. Jittering between 30 and 60 FPS can be very jarring to the player if it happens at the right (or wrong) times.
Old 2012-08-10, 07:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #53
Duskguy
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Fanglord View Post
If you havn't already bought it, don't. Go intel - unless planet is side is gonna use more than 2/3 cores which most games currently don't, the whole 8 core thing is pretty useless.
i have bought it and the processor is an AMD FX-8150 3.60 GHz Eight-Core AM3+ CPU 8MB L2 Cache & Turbo Core Technology.

i hear that the amd fx cores arent as good as the intel ones core to core, and i dont plan on upgrading my cpu for a few years, so i figure better to be safe than sorry. and the company had a free upgrade from the amd 6 core to 8, so i figured what the hell, might as well
Old 2012-08-10, 07:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #54
AThreatToYou
Major

AMD FX cores are the absolute worst processors core-for-core. They NEED good application multithreading support in order to even come close to competing with Phenom IIs, let alone Intel processors. You pretty much wasted your money there unless you can turn off half of those cores and overclock it to something like 6 GHz. Yes. 6 GHz.

Last edited by AThreatToYou; 2012-08-10 at 07:53 AM.
Old 2012-08-10, 08:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #55
Duskguy
Staff Sergeant

oh well. i will be overclocking, though i dont think it will get close to 6 ghz. i was also on a budget and wasnt looking for a top end gaming rig, simply a mid range that i can upgrade later.
tower and motherboard have plenty of room for expansion and my next computer i plan to build myself either through literally replacing this one piece by piece or starting from scratch when this one dies. as i said, i was on an xbox for 5 years, i had little or no knowledge about current euipment.

pulled last computer apart...had 2 sticks of 500 mb ram a single core cpu and a gt 5000 gpu...yeah, out of date is an understatment
Old 2012-08-10, 08:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #56
RushAndAPush
Private

Could anyone tell me if i can run planetside2?

Specs:

-ATI Radeon HD 4800
-8 Gigs of RAM
-Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz

Thanks.

Last edited by RushAndAPush; 2012-08-10 at 08:22 AM.
Old 2012-08-10, 08:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #57
Boomhowser
Corporal

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
I have settings as high as possible I like my games to look good the way they were intended and it bugs me people turn off everything to gain advantages.
I agree, I also like games to look good and the way they are intended.

Saying that I really dont care if others turn off stuff hoping to achieve an advantage, all that means is everytime I take them down I prove im that much better than them
Old 2012-08-10, 08:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #58
Noctis
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by RushAndAPush View Post
Could anyone tell me if i can run planetside2?

Specs:

-ATI Radeon HD 4800
-8 Gigs of RAM
-Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz

Thanks.
You will with medium low setting probably, but it's offtopic you know. There's another section for such questions.
Old 2012-08-10, 08:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #59
RushAndAPush
Private

Double post

Originally Posted by Noctis View Post
You will with medium low setting probably, but it's offtopic you know. There's another section for such questions.
Sorry about that. I thought that this thread was linked close enough to my question. Thank you for answering nonetheless.

Last edited by RushAndAPush; 2012-08-10 at 08:42 AM.
Old 2012-08-10, 08:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #60
TtD
Private

Have to say i'm a performance guy, though more through necessity that choice. Have been limited in my gaming the past few years waiting for the 120Hz flatscreens to come down in price as even at 60Hz I suffer vision blurring and headaches from FPS gaming (given my hypersensitivity the minimum has always been about 80Hz for headache free gaming on CRTs and about the same on LCDs though 75Hz is bearable). In my case there is nothing smooth even about 60FPS, the ghosting and unresponsiveness are painful. Gamers who can survive with 30FPS just baffle me.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion