No jumpad for attackers=AMP station ruined, More Stalmates..Welcome to StalemateSide - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: ALT+F4 for the latest beta news
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-02-03, 03:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #46
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

Re: No jumpad for attackers=AMP station ruined, More Stalmates..Welcome to StalemateS

I am very happy about these defensive changes. Hopefully this first round will be enough to make taking a base difficult and defending a base rewarding.
Old 2013-02-03, 03:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
Sir fraggington
Private

Re: No jumpad for attackers=AMP station ruined, More Stalmates..Welcome to StalemateS

Originally Posted by Dreamcast View Post
Uhhh we had Battles lasting hours in Zurvan.....Amp Station had some of the most memorable battles.

Just because players are more freely to move doesn't mean battles won't last a while...Zurvan prove that

I love battles lasting a while but this game already has stalemates with almost no flanking.

I was battles lasting long but with more open ways to attack, Zurvan provided that.
These happened only under the rarest of conditions.

as soon as one tower was compromised,
you immediately lost every control over your own walls due to the fact that those jump pads
were collaborating with the attackers. luckily, the most treasonous of those jump pads have been shot for insubordination
and the remaining ones now obey their commanding officers.
Old 2013-02-03, 03:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
KaskaMatej
Master Sergeant

Misc Info

BioLabs are good defence, Amp Stations are much better now, now only the Tech Plants to be easier to defend and we are much closer to a game where defence is more viable than just Attack! Attack! Attack!

Towers are also good, IMO. Though, due to lack of tanks we don't really know if they are good against HE spam too.
Old 2013-02-03, 04:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
Dreamcast
Major

Originally Posted by Sir fraggington View Post
These happened only under the rarest of conditions.

as soon as one tower was compromised,
you immediately lost every control over your own walls due to the fact that those jump pads
were collaborating with the attackers. luckily, the most treasonous of those jump pads have been shot for insubordination
and the remaining ones now obey their commanding officers.
Not really.

I remember towers being full of enemies and the defenders still holded off the attackers.

But if they really wanted to give defenders more defending qualities then they could of tried other things that didnt ruin the flow open ended combat.
Old 2013-02-03, 04:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
Eliphas
Private

The definition of Base is the lowest part or edge of something, esp. the part on which it rests or is supported. Have as the foundation for (something); use as a point from which (something) can develop: "the film is based on a novel". Yeah I used google. This "game" is a war simulator an idea created from other games based on war. What this game has that the others do not is shifting fronts. Should the attacking force be given a easy way into a so called base? No because a base to a military mind has military value. That value vary from logistic to defensive and aggressive operations. In my best opinion the game does not foster the importance of the bases that are occupy the landscape. So the idea of giving you as attacker a ludicrous breach of defenses is insulting. That all being said great change keep them coming.
Old 2013-02-03, 05:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
Rivenshield
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Sir fraggington View Post
It is a glorious display that lasts hours.
Glorious hours of valiant defense and relentless assault,
where the brave TR defenders fight to the last man
to keep the xenos worshiping vanu heretics from defiling the base with their presence.

Fine hours like these are remembered for a long time.
Good base design and good metagame give rise to good defense. Good defense gives rise to epic battles. Epic battles create *memories.*

I'll be doggoned if I know why the powers that be at Sony these days are so dig-in-heels resistant to this.
Old 2013-02-03, 05:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
Chewy
Major

Originally Posted by Rivenshield View Post
Good base design and good metagame give rise to good defense. Good defense gives rise to epic battles. Epic battles create *memories.*

I'll be doggoned if I know why the powers that be at Sony these days are so dig-in-heels resistant to this.
Years of arcade fast paced FPSs and sold to much to count. They have become the norm of shooters and anything else dies off before publishers give them the time they need due to no instant sales.
Old 2013-02-03, 06:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

Originally Posted by Rivenshield View Post

Certainly the devs are listening, we just got our very first defensive oriented patch. Im absolutely loving it.
Old 2013-02-03, 07:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
Vashyo
First Sergeant

Defense difficult....Not for me.

It was quite easy to defend and hold Zurvan for hours....Some of the best battles took their.

As for Sense of Direction, their was one....there was a place where enemies were coming from and a general flow but with more openess.

Big Sandbox deathmatch?...Fighting with no stalemates and limited ways of attacking arn't some COD/UT wannabe deathmatches.

I never had a problem looking over my shoulder, is quite fun but like I said their was a flow in the AMP station of where enemies were coming from even with jumpads so you do know when an enemy is potential behind u.

Stalemates happen because the game doesn't allow too many ways of Flanking and attacking....It just allows a few predetermine ways of getting a base so the defenders are already waiting so the stalemate happens.

Also ADS players love stalemates....and Planetside has quite a few ADS players.

I prefer hip/twitch combat.
But you still have many ways to flank or attack, even without the jumppads you can still use the backdoors in the base, you can drop in with a galaxy, you can jetpack over walls at any base and shoot people in the back. Once gens are down you can even use the front doors.

I think you're wrong, If you ever played woodman. Stalemates only happen in Crown and allatum biolab as long as defenders feel like staying there. Zurvan changes hands all the time. Every battle I've been in PS2 as a defender, ends only because some outfit moves their people out of the battle and leaves a vacuum in the defensibility. The defense becomes hard when the opposition has slightly more people.

I dislike hip/twitch shooters, the market is riddled with twitch shooters, I'm quite happy that PS2 is atleast trying to move away from the flock.

Last edited by Vashyo; 2013-02-03 at 07:22 PM.
Old 2013-02-03, 07:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
Figment
Lieutenant General

All in favour of declaring Dreamcast a "non-strategic genius" say aye!

Dreamcast, if JUMPPADS are needed for you to be succesful at assault, I fear for the future of humankind. I never used them in the first place. Why there are Bio lab stalemates has nothing to do with jumppad removal, their PRESENCE (and that of teleporters) actually causes it.

Zurvan stalemates are down to the crown's proximity and both laying in the center of the continent. The Crown is the pivotal point which is always attacked by two large enemy forces. It is the presence of these two forces pressing on a third that lets the third survive as neither enemy allows the other to take the crown by destroying their AMSes and troops.

Even if you added five million jumppads, it would still be a stalemate due to location on the continent and the steering of multiple forces on the same point, with the Crown acting as a plug.

That you don't understand this influence on Zurvan is telling.

And a few hours battle? You want to see a stalemate? Leza-Tore bridge fight in ps1. That is a stalemate, especially if the third empire came in from Mukuru.

Or PS1 Marduk/Zotz-Naum-Voltan/Bitol on Hossin. Holding Naum could be epic, we once held it as the last NC base on fifteen continents with TR in Marduk/Zotz with a poplock and VS in Voltan/Zotz.

7 hours later, the fight still went on after dozens of succesful ANT runs keeping the NTU up. Everytime one empire entered the CY, the other would push them out! Meanwhile the defenders farmed both!

When I got back on the next day, NC had not been zerobased, but we conquered all 15 continents with 51% pop! From one stalemate to total domination in a single night! NC were so pumped and tenacious (and attractive to the farmers), we went from single base, 28% pop to the complete opposite! Some people never logged during the night.

The longest siege I've seen is a three day siege on Voltan during the constant threeway period near the end of PS1's lifely days. When we finally broke out of Voltan by a tactical Deliverer raid on Ixtab LLU (setup and lead by me, 75 NC participated from all kinds of outfits), we took over the entire west of Hossin within the hour, took Zotz and Mulac with sanc links, then kicked TR and vs in two hours from their last two bases with a couple multi-outfit precision strikes on their generators.

We won Hossin back then and it felt extremely satisfying.

Taking bases in PS2 is like taking candy from a baby. It is way too easy.
Old 2013-02-03, 07:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #56
Dreamcast
Major

Originally Posted by Vashyo View Post
But you still have many ways to flank or attack, even without the jumppads you can still use the backdoors in the base, you can drop in with a galaxy, you can jetpack over walls at any base and shoot people in the back. Once gens are down you can even use the front doors.

I think you're wrong, If you ever played woodman. Stalemates only happen in Crown and allatum biolab as long as defenders feel like staying there. Zurvan changes hands all the time. Every battle I've been in PS2 as a defender, ends only because some outfit moves their people out of the battle and leaves a vacuum in the defensibility. The defense becomes hard when the opposition has slightly more people.

I dislike hip/twitch shooters, the market is riddled with twitch shooters, I'm quite happy that PS2 is atleast trying to move away from the flock.
Zurvan doesn't change at all if people arn't focused on the Crown....Defenders hold Zurvan for hours.

The Zurvan open endedness now is really 1 way forward IMO....The Jumpads really did give both defenders and attackers new ways of flanking.

ADS shooters are way more popular than twitch shooters.

Battlefield 3 and COD are ADS games like Planetside is kind of...Luckily the TTK is high enough in Planetside for hipfire/twitch shooting to work.
Old 2013-02-03, 08:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #57
KesTro
Second Lieutenant

The Crown really is the only stalemate in Planetside. Unless you catch them unaware if there's a platoon trying to defend it you're not getting in. That being said where you might see the occasional stalemate would be places like biolabs but even there I see them as stages of an assault.

You fight for your FOB, you fight for a foothold on a pad, you fight to defend a point/generator. Each part has a battle accompanying it. This is the way I see it anyhow unless anyone would like to add to that or pick it apart.
Old 2013-02-03, 08:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #58
Chewy
Major

Zurvan doesn't change at all if people arn't focused on the Crown....Defenders hold Zurvan for hours.

The Zurvan open endedness now is really 1 way forward IMO....The Jumpads really did give both defenders and attackers new ways of flanking.

ADS shooters are way more popular than twitch shooters.

Battlefield 3 and COD are ADS games like Planetside is kind of...Luckily the TTK is high enough in Planetside for hipfire/twitch shooting to work.
Is there a reason you keep saying "ADS Shooter"? Iv never heard of a game type like that before today and a fast Google of it shown nothing. Can you care to define that term for us?

I ask because it looks like you either know something I don't or are pulling terms out of your ass. I kinda need to know for a good response. From assuming it seems like what you're calling ADS shooters are any game that has aim down sights no matter what genre it falls into, and that is just weird.

Last edited by Chewy; 2013-02-03 at 08:21 PM.
Old 2013-02-03, 09:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #59
typhaon
Sergeant Major

I'm in the Glad U Mad corner, too.

For all of the buggy-ness in the patch, I LOVE the base changes.
Old 2013-02-04, 01:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #60
Babyfark McGeez
Captain

Jump-pads should be removed alltogether.

And "ADS" aiming is an atrocity created by console devs and should have no place in pc shooters.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion