Biolab got butchered (PTS) - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Bad cop. No donut.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-10-24, 05:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #46
OctavianAXFive
Staff Sergeant

Re: Biolab got butchered (PTS)

I hopped on PTS and took a poke around.

This is what I think best sums up the situation in terms of base design as a whole.

Kill it with fire.*

more constructive stuff coming soon

Last edited by OctavianAXFive; 2013-10-24 at 05:11 PM.
Old 2013-10-24, 05:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
Babyfark McGeez
Captain

Originally Posted by Bobby Shaftoe View Post
I think it's getting obvious that the PSU community is going to have to type up specifications for every single aspect of the game (or what you want changed) and go into extreme detail (ie placement of specific cover objects) for the SOE guys to follow it step by step, because they appear to not have a clue.
The thing is, we did all that. Like A YEAR ago when this thing was still in, ahum, "beta".
Do you remember figment (who seems to have given up a long time ago - who can blame him) and his incredibly detailed and visually aided threads? And all the other people (myself included) who continued to point out the obvious flaws in their base- and map design and offered possible solutions to the many, many problems of this inconsistent mess.

Personally i got tired of this. Incomptence, ignorance? I don't give a shit anymore. Tons of good threads are on this forum. If they want to salvage their crap they can go look for them.
I will continue to log into the game from time to time, close my eyes for the title screen and pretend i just play some F2P Call of Duty which has not "Planetside" in its name so i don't desecrate my memory of one of the best games i ever played.
Old 2013-10-24, 05:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
LeilaniRock
Private

Not sure how many of you actually played for some time on the test today.But Allatum.was good fights for at least 2hrs with ownership going back and forth.Defender spawn is a bit meh,but i never got camped in the inside dome spawn as of now

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Old 2013-10-24, 06:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by LeilaniRock View Post
Not sure how many of you actually played for some time on the test today.But Allatum.was good fights for at least 2hrs with ownership going back and forth.Defender spawn is a bit meh,but i never got camped in the inside dome spawn as of now

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
I highlighted the main flaw for you.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2013-10-24, 06:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
GeoGnome
First Sergeant

It should be mentioned that I joined the PS2 community in December of last year.

At the time, people told me to disregard the PSU Community as being completely full of people who were were too in love with the game to be objective.

Hencefourth they have have kind of been the canary in the coal mine for me. The fact that this is absolutely getting torn to shreds by the PSU crowd, should tell people at SOE that this wasn't a great change.
Old 2013-10-24, 06:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
Rivenshield
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Calista View Post
I'm starting to think that things like this are being done for the PS4 attention deficit crowd. If they aren't running and gunning every second they just lose interest and logoff.
That's my best guess, unfortunately.

Anyone who's ever worked in corporate America can tell there are two distinct factions at work on the dev team. You could call one the Traditionalists. They see nothing wrong with borrowing proven game mechanics from the first game, and a certain amount of defensibility is at the top of the list. So is a strategic metagame. And they've had a tough time keeping their heads above water since day one.

You could call the other the eSports Groupies. These are the people who were initially in control -- who gave us bases with no freaking gates and Galaxy spawn points. OFFENSE OFFENSE OFFENSE! Run and gun! Dynamic gameplay uber alles! They experienced a bit of a setback early this year, when after months of mockingly telling us LOLNO they resurrected the lattice and gave us a more or less mixed bag of base redesigns.

With the approach of the PS4 (and with Smed stuck on stupid thinking that a free-to-play Planetside 2 must be good to go for the PS4 release, rather than giving a shrunken dev team another badly-needed six months or so), we're going to see two things:

1) A rushed, badly-implemented, buggy intercontinental lattice.

2) A lot more beta-style nerfing of anything that impedes forward movement, much less sitting and thinking for a few seconds. That's what they think the console crowd must have or they'll instabail. (I frankly disagree. Challenge them for once and they will love it.)

I tried to log onto the test server just now to see for myself. It took five minutes. The lag time to load any screen or pull up any console panel was unendurable. Went to Hossin to check out the new cont. Saw the 'TR Forward Garrison' is sandwiched for some strange reason between the other two empires' warpgates. Looked for a fight; saw none. Couldn't even muster up the mild curiosity to step outside and see the long-touted Fourth Continent. Logged.

I'm not even in bittervet mode any more. I'm simply bored, and feel a certain abstract sense of regret at seeing what was a fantastic franchise drive itself off a cliff due to shitty management.
Old 2013-10-24, 07:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
ItZMuRdA
Contributor
Master Sergeant

Misc Info

Solid thread going on here. For what it's worth, I made my sneak peek and first impression commentary video when I got home from work, so I thought I'd share. Keep that feedback coming -- devs will listen!

Old 2013-10-24, 07:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
Bobby Shaftoe
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Babyfark McGeez View Post
Like A YEAR ago
That's the equiv. of the Hitchhiker's Guide planning office.

It was pretty obvious back in beta they would have to remake the game to actually get it in any sort of state similar to the original, attempts to 'listen' to the player base viz. Lattice result in appalling execution because it's simply layered on top of maps for completely different 'strategic'/designed play.

They don't have the resources to implement 'big' changes more than one at a time, each one simply makes the game 'worse' because it doesn't fit in with the majority of what's already in place.

Really defensible bases are simply a roadblock in lattice 'strategic' play because there is no mechanic present to take that base through draining which lacks the subsequent counter play of resupplying etc.

They didn't have the 'complexity'/foundation in their original design which simply meant that the vast majority of changes people suggested were a waste of time in the first place, they simply could not be implemented without being almost entirely detrimental to existing gameplay.
Old 2013-10-24, 07:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
Carbon Copied
First Sergeant

@Itzmurda

Interesting view to take on the cover of the spawn rooms in the main bio area when the props actively funnel defenders out into a rocket, C4 and UBGL wielding force's wet dream with a follow through of small arms fire. The spawn isn't "hard to get to" you yourself jet pack onto a building directly overlooking it and pass an adjacent hut thats begging for people to be camping both on top and in.

I'm curious as well to ask why you think the attacking force is suddenly going to sit back at the objective area in this new cover and not actively spawn camp (around 17:52) - am I going to sit back with the objective and let them get out of spawn or will I move past the objective and start up the turkey shoot before they get anywhere? This is a no brainer I would have thought.

I don't think you look at this critically enough beyond "it's an annoyance to get out of spawn as I'm an aggressive player". Bio labs I agree aren't the most compelling of fights but this swings the pendulum to completely the opposite end of the spectrum. Long term; how long do you think this design will remain viable i.e come concentrated head on lattice linked fights between factions in an intercontinental evolved game with an increase of player concentration?

All I see are more band aids - tourniquet and rebuild.

Last edited by Carbon Copied; 2013-10-24 at 08:07 PM.
Old 2013-10-24, 07:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by GeoGnome View Post
It should be mentioned that I joined the PS2 community in December of last year.

At the time, people told me to disregard the PSU Community as being completely full of people who were were too in love with the game to be objective.

Hencefourth they have have kind of been the canary in the coal mine for me. The fact that this is absolutely getting torn to shreds by the PSU crowd, should tell people at SOE that this wasn't a great change.
You got it all wrong. The opinions of PSU are considered too conservative/elitist/theoretical/whatever. Here are opinions that matter:
http://dk.reddit.com/r/Planetside/

As much as I love Maggy for being one of the devs who actually considers this place to be a valid source of information, other devs don't really take anything said here seriously. Mainly because "PSU Community is completely full of people who were are too in love with the game to be objective" or in other words "not mainstream players".

Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.

Last edited by NewSith; 2013-10-24 at 08:04 PM.
Old 2013-10-24, 08:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #56
Taramafor
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by NewSith View Post
http://dk.reddit.com/r/Planetside/[/url]
I think I just felt my IQ drop.

Haven't managed to get in a biolab fight yet but can't wait to see how botched up this all is.
Old 2013-10-24, 08:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #57
GeoGnome
First Sergeant

You got it all wrong. The opinions of PSU are considered too conservative/elitist/theoretical/whatever. Here are opinions that matter:
http://dk.reddit.com/r/Planetside/

As much as I love Maggy for being one of the devs who actually considers this place to be a valid source of information, other devs don't really take anything said here seriously. Mainly because "PSU Community is completely full of people who were are too in love with the game to be objective" or in other words "not mainstream players".
Reddit agrees with you guys like... all the time.

I guess that means you are a mainstream gamer.

...Get out you mainstream shill.
Old 2013-10-24, 08:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #58
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by GeoGnome View Post
Reddit agrees with you guys like... all the time.

I guess that means you are a mainstream gamer.

...Get out you mainstream shill.
Not true. Do a search for a biolab post there and just compare the average response.

Old 2013-10-24, 08:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #59
GeoGnome
First Sergeant

Not true. Do a search for a biolab post there and just compare the average response.
I did... I'm seeing the exact same complaints here that I see there.

And I'm seeing the exact same complaints on the PS2 forums.

It's almost like... *GASP* People don't like the biolab changes!

The only real difference between the 3 forums, is that the PS2 forums are caustic to the point of hilarity, here people are much more open to discussion, and reddit is kind of in the middle. I would say that the proper forums are much worse than reddit, to the point it's driven most of the developers from commenting there (As we have heard from the developers). Malorn, clegg, and Luperza comment here more often than they do on the PS2 forums.
Old 2013-10-24, 09:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #60
capiqu
Contributor
First Lieutenant

No me gusta! What happened to dual spawn rooms? Maybe making it so that the attackers can hack one Spawn Room. Saunders are too far, to easy to spot and too easy to blow up. Especially with C4. Another point is, if the Bio labs benefit is quicker respawn time than why would you slow down the defenders spawn time. Why give an advantage than counter it?

Last edited by capiqu; 2013-10-24 at 09:18 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion