Quick Knife - Is it really the best option? - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I got your thumb!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: What type of Quick-Melee attack do you prefer?
Rifle-Bash -I prefer it to be changed to something a bit more basic and natural. 114 31.58%
Quick-Knife- I prefer it to stay like it is like typical modern shooters. 42 11.63%
I don't want to see a quick-melee at all. Equip your knife to do battle! 205 56.79%
Voters: 361. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-12, 10:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #46
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info
Re: Quick Knife - Is it really the best option?

I love the rifle smack.

It'd also be nice if you could equip the knife...but I'm neutral on the quick-knife as a concept.
As long as a fast knife kill is an only-from-behind thing and doesn't have some silly range I'm ok with it.

In pretty much all cases it capping someone should be the more prudent option.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2012-06-12, 10:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #47
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

I would like a rifle bash that stuns or staggers as a quick hit.

Then have an equippable knife to finish or backstab.
Old 2012-06-12, 10:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #48
WaryWizard
Sergeant

The quick knoive button should make your character put his/her gun away and pull out a knoive. From there you can swing it as you wish. You could tap attack to swing it quickly but do less damage, or you could hold attack to do a "charged" swing that does more damage.

By charged I mean you pull your arm back, hold it, and swing as hard as you can. The faster one would probably be similar to how it is now except you'll have your knoive in your hand before and after the swing.

Originally Posted by ArmedZealot View Post
I would like a rifle bash that stuns or staggers as a quick hit.

Then have an equippable knife to finish or backstab.
what would happen if 30 or so people stunned/staggered you over in over in a comedic style? They could stagger you off a cliff.

Last edited by WaryWizard; 2012-06-12 at 10:15 AM.
Old 2012-06-12, 10:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #49
Kilmoran
Staff Sergeant

I will also say... that sometimes stabbing from behind is simply not an option. Tactics, positioning, situation, timing... do not always allow for the "easy strike". Thus, I am not sure if i like the idea of it only being from behind... or at the very least, it not still being /rather/ effective from the front, even if it is not "insta kill" (which i don't really care about to be honest). Currently, a melee boosted secondary knife stab does around 75% of health. If a backstab is instant, i think a front stab should be this. A way of wounding, severely, but not killing in one blow. Assistance to your allies, or a way of ensuring the second attack is lethal considering your chances of survival to strike again are cut way, way down by exposing yourself with the initial attack.
Old 2012-06-12, 10:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #50
The Degenatron
Master Sergeant

I said "No" to "quick attacks" all together.

Frankly, I find it a little rediculous that a knife would be ANYTHING but a last resort of a desperate fighter.

When all other options are gone do I reach for my knife.

It also encourages a less tactical style of play. I hate it when people go for a knife kill when they have a magazine full of bullets and die half-way to their target. You could have shot that guys, moved the line forward, and helped the cause, but instead you acted like an idiot because you wanted to up your knife KDR. Give me a break!

My second choice would be the rifle butt. But it shouldn't kill. It should only stun with a head shot on any soldier less than a Heavy Assault. Heavies and Maxes should be unhurt by it.

I know there are people who just LOVE knife kills, but to me that's just waving you E-Peen around when you should be helping the team instead.
Old 2012-06-12, 10:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #51
megamold
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Kilmoran View Post
I will also say... that sometimes stabbing from behind is simply not an option. Tactics, positioning, situation, timing... do not always allow for the "easy strike".
it isnt an option all the time ,thats the beauty of it.
its one of those " OMG did you see how i owned that guy wooo i rule! " type of things, that only happen every now and then as opposed to every 5 minutes.

if it only happens sometimes its just way more gratifying
Old 2012-06-12, 10:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #52
Zekeen
Major

Quick-melee back killing just takes away from the Planetside feel. If you have that, then people try to do that way too much. If they have to EQUIP the knife, then they won't got for "humiliation points" and use a knife more tactically. This game is about shooting, and if ya want to use a knife equip it and be at a disadvantage for stealthy kills. There's way better ways than quick-knifing. People want to see their knife, and feel it have melee power. If quick-melee is needed, make it rifle bash, or if you want a better quick-melee, a bayonet mod for more damage, but let the knife be a separate powerful entity that is equipped on its own.
Old 2012-06-12, 11:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #53
Zolan
Staff Sergeant

Quick knife has always been ridiculous.

Equip knife or no knife.

Bring back my lightnin' stabber.
Old 2012-06-12, 11:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #54
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

I want more than just some amped up bowie knives, i want some real melee options.
Old 2012-06-12, 11:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #55
Steambot
Private

Maybe this:

You can quick-melee with a rifle-bash that does moderate damage, but for a more extreme effect, you have to equip a knife.
Old 2012-06-12, 11:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #56
RSphil
Contributor
Major

if knifing has to be in the game then id like it like battlefield 3. that is the best knifing iv seen in a game to date. if you are getting knifed it looks so good and if you are doing the knifing it looks awesome. iv seen a guy through my sniper scope get picked up and knifed in the throat and it looks class. id vote for this in ps2 though i dont do it much myself unless i need a silent kill which sometimes is handy.
Old 2012-06-12, 11:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #57
KILLFACE
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Kilmoran View Post
i want to be able to equip, and customize, my knife. I want it to represent what I do... i don't want it to be a "Secondary" weapon. It is my knife... and those that bleed upon it are my victims. It is not an accident, it is not running out of ammunition. It is my focus... my craft... and my way.
From the sounds of it we would of had a lot of fun together on 2142 mate.

Last edited by KILLFACE; 2012-06-12 at 12:14 PM.
Old 2012-06-12, 11:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #58
Dart
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Steambot View Post
Maybe this:

You can quick-melee with a rifle-bash that does moderate damage, but for a more extreme effect, you have to equip a knife.
Why? Why do we need a skill-less, one button melee attack at all? I love the attitude of the guys who want to customize and specialize in knife-fighting! THAT is PlanetSide! Forget quick melee attacks all together. Advocate skill and specialization. Leave homogenisation to lesser shooters.

Last edited by Dart; 2012-06-12 at 11:59 AM.
Old 2012-06-12, 12:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #59
Kilmoran
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by megamold View Post
it isnt an option all the time ,thats the beauty of it.
its one of those " OMG did you see how i owned that guy wooo i rule! " type of things, that only happen every now and then as opposed to every 5 minutes.

if it only happens sometimes its just way more gratifying
It does happen all the time for me... in PS 1. The knife is my primary weapon of choice. Though i have killed far more without it... it is still my weapon of choice. I can be stealthy, i can distract with he noise, I can destroy infantry with it as well as any sniper. It is my tool of the trade... and it is not about how "cool" it is... even though i do enjoy the hunt. It is about how useful it is for what I do beyond simply killing people. Especially in PS 1... the only weapon i know i will have as an infiltrator all the time, is my knife.
Old 2012-06-12, 12:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #60
Kilmoran
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by KILLFACE View Post
From the sounds of it we would of had a lot of fun together on 2142 mate.
Didn't stick with that one too long. Not as big as PS 1 so... i sort of lost interest. But i did have my fair share of "knife fight" servers.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion