Are we ready for the new people? - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: format c: *.*
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-09-21, 06:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #46
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Are we ready for the new people?

Planetside is all about the true battlefield: Forum-side !

Other: dual-wield ideas might get you some heat but mention mechs and your hide will definitely be skinned out alive !
Old 2011-09-21, 06:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Stay on topic... stay on topic...
Sorry, just giving a pat on the back to somebody that doesn't even have 10 posts on PSU yet. You know, demonstating our encouragement of new people, which in a way is on topic.

Too much of a stretch?

Anyways, to bring it back around, I think we all want to see new blood in this game, because we all want it to be a huge success. It's not the same as a cult, but I'd definitely say that Planetside was a cult hit. Time for PS2 to be a mainstream hit.

Old 2011-09-21, 06:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

Originally Posted by basti View Post
Sorry to tell you, but you talk BS.

What kind of players are attracted to a game has nothing to do with the payment model. The game itselfs attracts a certain kind of players, and nothing else.

Sure it does. There's plenty of people who won't play a game simply because it's subscription based. Plenty of people buy PS3s over 360's because the online is free. If you're going to honestly tell me that certain people don't play certain games because there's a certain subscription based fee then that's outrageous.

Payment model has a lot to do with whether people do or do not play a game. I vividly recall there being much controversy and scrutiny over the original PS because it was a subscription based shooter and most at the time were free. The question arose is it worth playing a shooter that you have to pay a monthly subscription for.

The only difference F2P does is that it allows those guys who dont want to spend money every month, or simply cant afford that for whatever reason, to play the game as well. And thats a good thing.

I'm pulling this out of my ass...But in my experience the general majority of players that play subscription based games are more mature per capita. Of course there are exceptions, but MOST of the time these people have a decent maturity about them and don't run around like jackasses.

Paying a subscription for a game causes you to step back and evaluate that you're actually paying for this service and you best not dick around. Again, there are always exceptions but you're less likely to do so in something that you're giving your money.

Where as in a F2P you don't give a fuck. So what if they ban you? Yeah, you'll lose your account, but so what, you can just make a new one and continue right on hacking and pillaging the game with no remorse.

A lot of people have forgotten about the hacking escapades that plagued this game for YEARS when free trials were still active, essentially making the game a free to play. Remember logging on everyday to hackers instagibbing you at every fight and ruining the experience? Remember filing an appeal to a GM and having them ban the trial account only to have them come right back in a matter of minutes? Remember how fun that was?

I don't give a shit that SOE says that they are making great attempts to limit or stop hacking PS. That's bullshit. Hacking is inevitable and it will occur in any game no matter what. Besides, didn't their entire infrastructure get hacked a few months ago? Sure that probably sparked some motivation to be more adamant on stopping hacking but I doubt it really got anywhere since people still continue to hack PS1 to this day.

I've played quite a few F2P's in my day and they've made a permanent effect on me and how I view F2P games. They're broken, mangled, hack filled disasters. Combat Arms comes to mind. Play that game for a week and tell me that you would want PS to fall down a similar path. People relentlessly hack that game and act like complete douchebags. Why? Because they can. Because it's a free to play and they can make a new account in a second and go right on ahead ruining the game for everyone else.

Again, I'll emphasize this point again in case you miss it, there are always exceptions. PS has had it's share of douchebags who pay money for a monthly subscription. GeneralVega for example, he purposely screws over the VS, helps gives mod to enemy empires etc etc. Plenty of egotistical douchebags like ANTDX316 who thought he was the greatest Reaver pilot in existence and globaled people to tell him where AA maxes where so he could kill them.

The point is, douchebaginess will prevail no matter what, but there is a whole lot less per capita in a sub based game than a F2P.

Quite funny that you bring up "cod kiddys" as an argument. The payment model has nothing to do with that, its just broken mechanics that get exploited for personal gain, and heck, even we did that in planetside for ages. As example: Early gen killing, Spawn camping, Suiciding to avoid being killed by someone, Third person corner camping, etc. Just list whatever tactic you consider being lame, and there you go.

I use CoD kiddies as an argument because CoD is a game that has had a huge impact on the gaming industry and the way that people play games. CoD drastically sped up gameplay of an FPS and gave people the impression you can run around like a moron with a sniper rifle, get 5 kills and then win an entire game and if another game isn't like that then it's trash. Yes I will use CoD kiddies as an example because they make up a huge majority of the gaming populace and they will be playing PS2.

Also funny that you consider F2P terrible based on no actual argument at all, just your personal opinion.

But good to see you wont even pay yourself...

Oh, and if you must know. I do pay for my own subscription. The grandfather line was merely a jest to insight humor and/or rage which it clearly did. Try not to take everything so literally and dismiss every idea so fast.

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON

Last edited by Death2All; 2011-09-21 at 06:56 PM.
Old 2011-09-21, 07:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
BUGGER
Major General

Misc Info

New people give old people perspective, and vise versa.

A newb is always welcomed with opened arms....or at the barrel end of a Jackhammer.

http://mrchevys3.blogspot.com/

Living is easy with eyes closed.
Old 2011-09-21, 07:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
Crator
Major General

Originally Posted by DeeTwoEh View Post
<STUFF>

A lot of people have forgotten about the hacking escapades that plagued this game for YEARS when free trials were still active, essentially making the game a free to play. Remember logging on everyday to hackers instagibbing you at every fight and ruining the experience? Remember filing an appeal to a GM and having them ban the trial account only to have them come right back in a matter of minutes? Remember how fun that was?
This all depends on how they implement account creation. Hooking it to a credit card will slow them way down.

I don't give a shit that SOE says that they are making great attempts to limit or stop hacking PS. That's bullshit. Hacking is inevitable and it will occur in any game no matter what. Besides, didn't their entire infrastructure get hacked a few months ago? Sure that probably sparked some motivation to be more adamant on stopping hacking but I doubt it really got anywhere since people still continue to hack PS1 to this day.
Interesting, I’ve played some of the Battlefield games and it seems to do a good job of keep the game killing hackers out. It’s F2P, no sub.

Originally Posted by DeeTwoEh View Post
<STUFF>
Anyways, all of this is a moot point if they put some safeguards in, like making it so you must provide a credit card to open an account, even a F2P one. It would make sense that they do this too because they want the F2P player to have easy access to buy in-game items.
Old 2011-09-21, 07:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
SgtMAD
Captain

I think D2a is right about the F2P crowd and the free trials hackathon we went through

I would gladly pay a sub for a game that I like playing
Old 2011-09-21, 07:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
Crator
Major General

I would also gladly pay a sub, and will if they offer one in the payment methods. I also think F2P is a valid option.
Old 2011-09-21, 07:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Crator View Post
Interesting, I’ve played some of the Battlefield games and it seems to do a good job of keep the game killing hackers out. It’s F2P, no sub.
I recently purchased BF:BC2 on PC (WITH MY OWN DEBIT CARD) and I've ran into quite a few hackers actually.

Most of the servers I play on have active admins on them so hackers are usually dealt with swiftly, although I've had a few experiences where they've ran rampant for far too long and ruined a good game.

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON
Old 2011-09-21, 08:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

I think it's possible that the issue with free to play games is less with the demographics that it attracts and more with the ease with which people can create new accounts to avoid consequences. Obviously we need some preventive measures to punish people for being assholes, but that doesn't mean it has to be a paywall.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-09-21, 09:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

The issue is accountability. Certs that train in real-time is a form of collateral which partially exists in BF (unlock rank), though I would expect it to take a lot longer to max out. But people pay money for BFBC2 also for the box, and that doesnt' stop the hacking all that much, but EA accounts are also free, so they don't really lose that investment. The only investment lost is the unlocks and ranks associated with the class. Also being a Douchebag and getting banned only gets you banned from one server, while on an MMO it would get you banned from them all, unless punkbuster actually caught something.
Old 2011-09-21, 09:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #56
Dov
Private

nope. not ready.
Old 2011-09-22, 01:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #57
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

I need at least a few more days to finish baiting all the traps.
Old 2011-09-22, 03:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #58
DOUBLEXBAUGH
Sergeant Major

Am I ready for new people? Absolutely!

Too many of the people left in the game now are hiding behind corners throwing plasma waiting on their MAX timers, or blowing gens. I look forward to new people so hopefully we can get some real fights again
Old 2011-09-22, 05:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #59
LostSoul

Originally Posted by DOUBLEXBAUGH View Post
Am I ready for new people? Absolutely!

Too many of the people left in the game now are hiding behind corners throwing plasma waiting on their MAX timers, or blowing gens. I look forward to new people so hopefully we can get some real fights again
This, and red text on grey makes my eyes bleed.

Having new people joining a community of a game I have loved for so long (and still do) is always good, we need some fresh fish in here to spice it up

Newer players we're always fun to watch/have in your squad in PS1, hope it'll be the same in the next go round.
Old 2011-09-25, 08:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #60
PrISM
Staff Sergeant

I like new players. They have no clue what's going on and run around in PJs and a suppressor. Easy kills.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion