how BIG do you think PS2 will be? - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I bent my wookie
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-07-20, 08:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #46
mcww
Private

Re: how BIG do you think PS2 will be?

I hope it's not too big, so it fits on my monitor.
Old 2012-07-20, 08:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
Braveliltoaster
Staff Sergeant

I predict a lot of servers
Old 2012-07-20, 08:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
Rivenshield
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by LegioX View Post
DICE still puts a bad taste in my mouth from BF 3.
Same here.

I fiddled around with BF2142 for a bit, and found it accessible enough after PS1. (Truth in advertising: these are the only two FPS's I have any real exposure to. I'm not really a gamer person). I figured BF3 would be a good time-killer until PS2 went live. Like BF2142 but with better graphics and set in the modern day. Right?

What I got was a memory hog that made you keep your web browser open in the background. I got nonsensical placement of spawn points -- I swear you could get gunned down from any direction. The controls were different. The technical requirements were sky-high for graphics that were only slightly improved.

And on top of all that, the random radio chatter kept on cussing at me. I frankly hated that -- and THERE WASN'T AN OPTION TO TURN IT OFF. If I had kids, I wouldn't let them play it. It made me feel like I was trapped on a TS server with a bunch of potty-mouthed junior high schoolers. I didn't like trying to figure out how to play this new game while I was dying at random and having the game itself scream that WE'RE GETTING OUR SHIT PUSHED IN OVER HERE111!111!! or something similar every fifteen seconds.

I uninstalled after an hour and a half. Then I dug out my ancient copy of BF2142. I found one server with anything near a full pop, and found it was peopled by Aimbot-hacking invulnerable bunny-hopping suicide bombers tossing RDX everywhere.

The only reason we bitch and piss and moan and argue at such great length and split such fine hairs about PS2 is because we love it so. We forget how badly how a lot of the competition sucks.

Beta can't come soon enough.

Last edited by Rivenshield; 2012-07-20 at 09:07 PM.
Old 2012-07-20, 10:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
Reizod
Contributor
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Hmr85 View Post
I think PS2 will be the WoW of FPS's. Thats how big I think it will be.
^^^ This

I think as long as SOE is dedicated to making it a success, then it will be. As they have some of the BEST developers I've even seen.
Old 2012-07-20, 11:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
lolroflroflcake
Staff Sergeant

It will be so big, that if allowed to expand to potential, SOEs largest supporting group of servers would have so much mass it would collapse into itself and form a black hole so large it annihilates most of the milky way.
Old 2012-07-20, 11:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
Symmenix
Sergeant

Hopefully its not too big.

Might need to change resolutions..
Old 2012-07-21, 01:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #52
Astrok
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Braveliltoaster View Post
with all the publicity that SoE has been having the past couple of months. How big do you think PS2 will be, and do you think it will hit over the 1,000,000 player mark within 12 months of launch?
Depends on the system requirements i guess.

if the normal machines can handle it i see a big increase in players.but if its for higher end pc's only i see a decrease fast.
Old 2012-07-21, 06:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #53
QFAN
Private

Do an erroneous calculation based on likely wrong assumptions ...

Assume 2000 players per map maxed, with 5 maps maxed. Concurrent online is 5*2k=10k only.

Can we ever support 1m online users? Sure, if each server has 10 maps then 1m/20k = 50 separate worlds.

So you want to play with your best friends? Your multi-hundred outfit is going in? Good luck getting into one server. Remember the queuing delay in the early days of PS1?

I hope characters can login to all servers.

PS2 is small like PS1.

Can SOE survive the first round of high-density advertisement and community viral invitation? If the servers die or there are not enough servers to keep up with the player population, many of the new comers will not get back.
Old 2012-07-21, 09:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #54
Klockan
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by QFAN View Post
Do an erroneous calculation based on likely wrong assumptions ...

Assume 2000 players per map maxed, with 5 maps maxed. Concurrent online is 5*2k=10k only.

Can we ever support 1m online users? Sure, if each server has 10 maps then 1m/20k = 50 separate worlds.

So you want to play with your best friends? Your multi-hundred outfit is going in? Good luck getting into one server. Remember the queuing delay in the early days of PS1?
1 million concurrent users means that you got roughly 10 million active users which wont happen for a while. The average user don't play that fervently, you know. Also guilds got into the same server in WoW easily, it isn't that hard or problematic.

I hope characters can login to all servers.
Then it wouldn't be a persistant mmo.

PS2 is small like PS1.

Can SOE survive the first round of high-density advertisement and community viral invitation? If the servers die or there are not enough servers to keep up with the player population, many of the new comers will not get back.
All they need is a good guiding system for new players like every other big mmo got. If they start with maybe 20 servers for Europe and US they could guide new players to 3 of the servers until those have a medium population, then guide new players to next set of 3 servers etc. That way you will end up with neither 20 near empty worlds nor 5 overpopulated worlds, instead it is handled dynamically. Also to handle faction imbalance they could first ask the user which side they want to play on and then suggest worlds where that side is not overpopulated.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion