Please no one button kill quick knives in Planetside 2! - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Harassar>Pedestrian
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-07-11, 05:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #46
Gogita
Master Sergeant

Re: Please no one button kill quick knives in Planetside 2!

Originally Posted by Redshift View Post
i agree i loved knifing people, was just about the most satisfying way of killing someone since it was hard, maybe not quite as satisfying as shooting spitfires as people ran past
Something that ALWAYS gave me a smile as sniper...
Old 2011-07-11, 06:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
Hamma
PSU Admin

I don't foresee instakill weapons in PS. Not everything has to be to extremes..

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-07-14, 02:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #48
Kran De Loy
Captain

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
I'm not saying this thread should be sticky'd. Far from it actually. It just needs to stay on the front page.

The issue really isn't so much about instant melee kills. Your entirely correct in that. That's fairly unrealistic of happening for anything outside of instant death match type games which the Higby or Smed or whoever said they wanted to stay away from.

The issue is about having a knife that makes chain saw noises.
(Or glow stick with Wang Emitter noises if you've got purple blood.)

Last edited by Kran De Loy; 2011-07-14 at 02:37 AM.
Old 2011-07-14, 10:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #49
Hamma
PSU Admin

What difference does it make what the model of the weapon is?

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-07-14, 10:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #50
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Kran De Loy View Post
I'm not saying this thread should be sticky'd. Far from it actually. It just needs to stay on the front page.

The issue really isn't so much about instant melee kills. Your entirely correct in that. That's fairly unrealistic of happening for anything outside of instant death match type games which the Higby or Smed or whoever said they wanted to stay away from.

The issue is about having a knife that makes chain saw noises.
(Or glow stick with Wang Emitter noises if you've got purple blood.)
The issue there was just balance, nothing else.

The sound the knives do often enough is completly unoticed by the enemy, just because they dont pay attention.

But in any way, i want the EXACT same knives with the exact same mechanic. And give infiltrators a skill tree for the knives, like incereasing damage, lowering the sound/glow from them while active, faster stabbing, etc. Just dont make them instant stab for everyone, or fast knive for everyone.
Actually, leave this fast knive crap or hitting people with your weapon out of the game completly. Its just annoying, nothing else. Let people shoot their guns, or use the knive, not both at the same time.
Old 2011-07-14, 10:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #51
Traak
Colonel

There is no third person for infantry in Planetside 2.

This will make knifing not NEED OSOK to be effective for cloakers.
Old 2011-07-14, 10:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #52
Traak
Colonel

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
They said that headshots would exist, however. I'm hoping the headshots would lead to heavy damage or such, but not OSOK, so it becomes shriek, gibber, and dive for cover everytime yet another game-ruining sniper swaggers onto the field.
Old 2011-07-14, 11:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #53
Kurtz
Master Sergeant

I've beta tested BF games for almost a decade. I've been introducing DICE guys to Planetside for years. I think its great that PS2 devs are looking hard at BF and that Smed likes it so much. I've always used both as examples as to how each could be better.

BUT, the faster gameplay in PS2 concerns me. When I say faster gameplay I mean the potential for headshots, insta-knife-kills and even faster to action.

PS1 had a great "routine" of running into battle, getting injured, running out, taking cover and healing and repairing. Run in, run out, heal, repair repeat.

After playing the BF series for years (competively) where dolphin diving, Med pack spammin, and chain reviving (where a chain of people and a specific order or reviving team mates is implemented) was commonplace.Ive seen how BF game mechanics can be exploited to have 5 guys go from dead to alive in less than one second.

I also proved in BFBC2 beta that you could have your best weapon be the Knife simply by only using the knife and running in and gutting 4-5 people per spawn. There was a Sprint - Knife net code lag that made it almost impossible to defend even if you saw me coming.

I like both gameplays however I feel that BF is a little too fast....and that its NOT planetside.

I do think the whole idea of running in, running out, repairing and healing over and over again is a little too ritualistic in today's era, I certainly don't want to see a bunch of insta gib kill spam that you get in the BF series.

yes headshots are good. Yes knife kills are good. Just not the way CoD and BF do it....for this game.

So, I hope that they balance the pace of the game, so that it is a tad faster than the old PS but not quite as fast as the Battlefield series.

Last edited by Kurtz; 2011-07-14 at 11:20 AM.
Old 2011-07-14, 11:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #54
Traak
Colonel

Game speed increase: AMS parked nearby.

"More gunning, less running" is one of my trademark chat macros.

Also, "The AMS is my weapon, and soldiers are my ammo!"
Old 2011-07-14, 12:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Wow, that's amazingly lame.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-07-14, 12:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #56
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Originally Posted by Kurtz View Post
I've beta tested BF games for almost a decade. I've been introducing DICE guys to Planetside for years. I think its great that PS2 devs are looking hard at BF and that Smed likes it so much. I've always used both as examples as to how each could be better.

BUT, the faster gameplay in PS2 concerns me. When I say faster gameplay I mean the potential for headshots, insta-knife-kills and even faster to action.

PS1 had a great "routine" of running into battle, getting injured, running out, taking cover and healing and repairing. Run in, run out, heal, repair repeat.

After playing the BF series for years (competively) where dolphin diving, Med pack spammin, and chain reviving (where a chain of people and a specific order or reviving team mates is implemented) was commonplace.Ive seen how BF game mechanics can be exploited to have 5 guys go from dead to alive in less than one second.

I also proved in BFBC2 beta that you could have your best weapon be the Knife simply by only using the knife and running in and gutting 4-5 people per spawn. There was a Sprint - Knife net code lag that made it almost impossible to defend even if you saw me coming.

I like both gameplays however I feel that BF is a little too fast....and that its NOT planetside.

I do think the whole idea of running in, running out, repairing and healing over and over again is a little too ritualistic in today's era, I certainly don't want to see a bunch of insta gib kill spam that you get in the BF series.

yes headshots are good. Yes knife kills are good. Just not the way CoD and BF do it....for this game.

So, I hope that they balance the pace of the game, so that it is a tad faster than the old PS but not quite as fast as the Battlefield series.
I agree with this. PS was a tad too slow, but I think the main slowness was the time it took to get back to the fight.

Speeding up the time it takes to kill...yes, a little bit. But not to the level of Battlefield games. A halfway point between PS and the battlefield games would be good.

I don't want to see a tank die to 1-2 AV shots either.

The major concern I have is that if you speed up lethality you will see the respawn screen a lot more, which only exacerbates any travel/respawn issues in the game. Having a slightly slower pace for PS compared ot battlefield is a good thing. Dying instantly without much time to react is fine for a game like Battlefield where you'll be back in the action in about 5-10 seconds, but PS is many times longer than that. As a result, the pacing should be less lethal.

A bit less lethality also makes things more tactical and makes random luck less prevalent. All good things, especially for Planetside.
Old 2011-07-14, 12:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #57
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

The TTK stuff really depends on how much they've facilitated close the the action spawning.

It seems like something they're trying to do, with galaxy spawning and the like,

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2011-07-14, 11:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #58
EVILoHOMER
Major

As a Vanu player (I haven't played since BFRs so do correct me) all I want for the Vanu is the glowing Force Blade back! It really pissed me off when they took that out and never even gave us the option to toggle it or make it a special knife.
Old 2011-07-14, 11:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #59
EVILoHOMER
Major

Planetside wasn't slow until SOE rushed out another poor expansion to be thrown on the pile of their history of poor rushed expansions. Then they did the whole dumb Bending and BFRs thing which massively ruined the game so everyone left. The population was already on the downturn thanx to Core Combat and BFRs just killed it off, which the game never recovered from. With Planetside it's hard to get people back when all the big battles are gone, so it was a vicious circle.

SOE really needs to not rush out Planetside 2 and only release it when it's ready. Otherwise it'll be a disappointment and the population will never be big and the game will be dead before 30 days like all MMOs are these days.

I still reckon they'll fuck something up and do another SWG where they promise and promise and not deliver on anything.
Old 2011-07-16, 06:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #60
headcrab13
Second Lieutenant

I'd prefer it if knives did minimal damage from the front, double damage from the back, and also had a "charged" attack where you could hold down the mouse button for 2-3 seconds behind an unsuspecting victim for a finishing move.

-HC13
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion